Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default some cool stuff we did at work..

It's not often that I get to share what we work on, but this is a case where the parts we made went right to a trade show (SEMA), and were released publically. So while I can't tell you what we're doing for Gambro, or Mesa Labs, or Fab Fours, well actually I could tell you about Fab Fours since those parts went to SEMA too, but the main deal I wanted to share is what we did for VW/Audi.

Anyway if you want to waste a couple minutes check out this web page that I wrote, where there are many links to other VW forums with other pictures. http://www.protogenic.com/Volkswagen...red_Nylon.aspx Pretty big deal for us to get such a high profile gig, hoping this is the first of many!

edit: Ok here's a picture with some of the parts labeled.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 12-01-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

me don't read.... but I'll take a vw grill
TLCA#4180
Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
It's not often that I get to share what we work on, but this is a case where the parts we made went right to a trade show (SEMA), and were released publically. So while I can't tell you what we're doing for Gambro, or Mesa Labs, or Fab Fours, well actually I could tell you about Fab Fours since those parts went to SEMA too, but the main deal I wanted to share is what we did for VW/Audi.

Anyway if you want to waste a couple minutes check out this web page that I wrote, where there are many links to other VW forums with other pictures. http://www.protogenic.com/Volkswagen...red_Nylon.aspx Pretty big deal for us to get such a high profile gig, hoping this is the first of many!

edit: Ok here's a picture with some of the parts labeled.
That's very cool Tim! Congradulations!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

sweet!

I need to call the Vice President of Business Development guy about an LV parts quote
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 12-01-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Actually you are more than welcome to talk about what Protogenic has done on my project at Mesa. The product has been on our web site for a while now, even though sales and marketing are just starting to gear up the big launch.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Protogenics, they do quick prototyping of mechanical parts. The process we use them for is call SLA, or stereolithography, kind of like printing in 3-D. It starts out with a 3D CAD file, which they feed into their laser SLA machine. At the bottom of the machine is a pool of liquid, which cures when you shoot a UV laser at it. The laser shoots where the part you are building is supposed to be, a tiny layer at a time. After each tiny layer, the support lowers a tiny bit deeper in the pool to add to the height of the part. When it's all done, you then have a 3D prototype of the part.

After the part is "grown" they can then make a mold out of RTV, and using the mold they can cast more parts out of polyurethane.

The huge advantage of it is that it is much faster and cheaper than having a complex part prototyped by machining it. You get the parts in your hand and see how they will fit together first hand, and a lot of times you discover where you need to tweak things a little before you have your injection mold tooling made. Subtle things can become apparent that were not easy to notice in the CAD drawings and models.

The product below is a prototype of our new instrument that measures temperature, conductivity, pressure and pH. Technicians use instruments like these to calibrate dialysis machines such as the ones that are made by Gambro, where Scott Yoder works. The enclosures on this prototype were made by Protogenic, and designed by yours truly.
Attached Images

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Fab Fours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
What did you do? We are doing a couple of cool things for FF at work, too. RJ is a pretty cool guy.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

looks super sweet

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 12-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
What did you do? We are doing a couple of cool things for FF at work, too. RJ is a pretty cool guy.
Wow, small world! We made some of the plastic light surrounds that slide inside the bumper. One round of prototypes, then some cast parts they used at SEMA because their production lights weren't in in time..
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-02-2005, 07:14 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default We make the rear bumpers...

For the Dodge and Chevy, as well as dana 44 and dana 60 diff covers. We also may be making the front winch bars at some point .
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Man, you folks do fun stuff.

All I do is schlep bits around. And attend meetings, fill out forms, send emails, export data, train people who are hard to train, then do it all again cuz I love it so much...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.