Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Satoshi Grill Mod Build

So over the past several days I have been working on a new project for my truck.
I've always liked the Satoshi grill mods. Unfortunately, the only way to have one is to build it yourself.
So I finally got all the parts together and sat down to build it.

First I had to get a new grill. Then I used my Dremel with a cutting wheel on it to cut out the center of the original grill.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I used a grinding stone on my Dremel to grind down the left over plastic from what I had just cut out.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I cut out pieces of sheet metal to make a back piece to cover the holes, and to hold the Bondo.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I had to track down a piece of perforated stainless steel. This took a couple days looking on-line and locally. I finally found a piece that was almost the perfect size at Gully Metal Services in Englewood. They were kind enough to cut it down to the correct basic size for me.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I trimmed the grate down to where it would fit on the grill correctly. I cut slots in the grill for the grate to slide into.
[IMG][/IMG]

I then made a special 16" long bracket from aluminum spanning the top of the grill. I glued and riveted the bracket to the grill. It had to be bent to match the curve on the grill.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I used self tapping screws and washers to attach the top of the grate to the bracket on the top of the grill.
[IMG][/IMG]

The bottom of the grate I actually laced into the bottom of the grill. I know this might seem kind of weird. But it actually turned out to be very easy and simple. Also, it allowed me to evenly apply pressure along the curve on the bottom of the grill.
[IMG][/IMG]

It ended up looking like this. I then cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol to clean off the grease and grime.
[IMG][/IMG]

Once the grate was clean, I attached my "TOYOTA" letters. I'll be reinforcing them on the back with something, probably Gorilla Glue.
[IMG][/IMG]

It's now ready for the letters to be taped off, the Bondo work to be done, and then to be painted. I'm going to paint it black of course.

-----

So, I finally got it painted today

So all I have to do now is install it. Should look pretty good with my new bumper that we're working on this winter.

So, what do you think so far?

TLCA #22468
2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Last edited by Shotshell; 02-16-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Lookin' sweet! I love the creativeness of the lacing.. though wonder if you might be happier if you reinforced that area with a small piece of steel? Just thinking if one of those holes rips through, then the whole thing loses tension.. even some of that strapping with a hole every inch would do it, just to take some of the load off the plastic? just a thought, I dig it!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Lookin' sweet! I love the creativeness of the lacing.. though wonder if you might be happier if you reinforced that area with a small piece of steel? Just thinking if one of those holes rips through, then the whole thing loses tension.. even some of that strapping with a hole every inch would do it, just to take some of the load off the plastic? just a thought, I dig it!
That's a really good idea. I wish I had thought of that. It's all together now, so I don't want to disassemble it. But if any of that part gives way, then I will definitely fix it in that manner.

TLCA #22468

Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looks great!

I wonder if powdercoating the stainless mesh black would hold up a lot longer than spray-bombing it? I fear that spray paint on stainless will not hold up well under the machine-gun fire of kicked up stones and rocks on Colo. roads.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Lookin good. I wish the 4runner grills were easier. I had to do so much fiberglassing to get the gaps filled because of the way the runner grills are set up.

Love it!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Looks good! This has been on my list for a while now. Seems like depending on the % of perforation of the material used you may actually gain more airflow into the radiator while keeping more rocks and such out.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
An alternative might be a dab of glue under each of those lacing spots between the lacing and the grill so if anything gave way the whole thing wouldn't unravel.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hit the lacing with 2 part epoxy. It'll never come apart. Looks good.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

I did some Bondo work this week. I'm ready to paint it this weekend, as long as the weather warms up like they say it will.

TLCA #22468

Old 12-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well, it looks killer. Nice work.

I also did mine in the winter time. I found that putting work lights over the grill as close as I could position them really helped the paint cure. My garage was cold, but the heat from the light bulbs kept it quite toasty right under the lamps. I used jackstands and the like to position everything.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead