Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 40 issues- what did I do?

Last Tuesday was the big snow day. So I drove the 40 to work... and then to Boulder, then home, probably 50 miles on the day. It was cold, snowy, wet.. first time I have had the 40 out in these conditions. Mechanically it ran fantastic.

But on my last leg home the wipers quit working. Then the turn signals weren't working. I got into the garage, started snooping at fuses, and suddenly the carb fan shuts off. wth. So I check all the fuses with a multimeter, and end up replacing 2 of them. After that the wipers work again, but still no turn signals.. it's like I need a new flasher all of a sudden. which was new.

So I do what I often do, and ignore the truck for the rest of the week. Fast forward to today- I pump 3x, pull the choke out, it starts right up. push the choke in halfway and let it warm up for a couple minutes. But now my fuel gauge isn't working. And the temperature gauge isn't working either. I don't remember if they were off last week, but don't think so, in fact I remember looking at the fuel a lot since I had just filled it, and feeling pretty good it was only down to about 3/4 after a good day's driving.

So I figure let's go get more fuses, grab a flasher, maybe things will fix themselves. Push in the choke and the truck dies. It's never done that before. Still determined to get more fuses, I proceed to limp to the auto store, truck running like it's on 4 cylinders or something... runs like total crap, and won't idle.. I need to keep giving it gas at stop signs or it dies. Fuel gauge still pinned on empty (I know there's lots of gas) and temp gauge pinned on cold (with warm air blowing), I limp back home.

I check every fuse again, and they're all good. Pushed on every plug wire, all solid. checked oil, coolant, I found 3 in-line fuses near the battery, and they're all good. My manual says there's an in line fuse for the carb fan behind the dash, but I don't see it. Feels like my ECU has just gone bonkers, but I don't see the OBDII port anywhere. So I get the thing back in the garage and went downstairs to watch the game.

To recap...

Was running great, then I lost turn signals, wipers, and carb fan. But still ran fine.

Now runs terrible, without turn signals, without fuel gauge, temp gauge, and carb fan. Idles fine with the choke pulled out, dies with the choke pushed in. I still have headlights and dash lights.

05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like you got some moisture into a main body harness connection. Did you use any dielectric grease when you put everything back together?
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed
Old 02-07-2016, 10:44 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
My manual says there's an in line fuse for the carb fan behind the dash, but I don't see it.
It's in an inline white fuse holder under/behind the dash. May still have tape wrapped around it.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have had issues before with loose wiring on the back of the gauge cluster messing with things. It's only the removal of the two screws to give it a quick check. Make sure the white and white with blue stripe are secure.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what...-to-do.651141/
Old 02-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ok I can check for loose wires behind the dash, and put some grease on the connections..

but what does any of this have to do with the thing running rough?

05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

if you pull the cluster MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!!!

it'll fry everything if you dont... the ammeter positive can hit the dash and short.
82 FJ40
Old 02-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Could be a ground issue. Have you metered the ground connection to make sure the bolt hasn't loosened up and is a clean hard contact?
77 FJ40
11 RX350
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

Your 40 is punishing you for driving it in the mag chloride.

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

I agree with Ken, sounds like a ground issue to affect all those items.

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Tim, I can come over tonight after the kids are down and give it a look if you'd like. I would say ground too, check the frame connection from the battery. We can check that the battery is getting good charge from the alternator too.

Sorry for your woes but I think Martin is right... Mag chloride and your electronics won't play nice.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili