Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-25-2016, 11:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Speaking of tires, 255 85 16 questions

Hey all,
I currently run 255 85 why's on the troopy, which a bunch of troopy people swear by on mud. I like the size, but have realized that apparently BFG doesn't make the all terrain in that size. Does anyone happen to know what else might be out there in a similar size/offering? I like the MUDs that are on it, but don't really go crazy with it, so am considering a quieter, more fuel friendly idea.

Thanks
Abe
Old 08-25-2016, 12:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

you can go with cooper discoverer or the toyo m-55

easiest is to get some 15 wheels and run 33x 10.5 bfg at
TLCA#4180
Old 08-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

I run 255/85r16 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on my 84 PU. I love them. I feel that they fill that void in between an AT and a MT tire.
TLCA #23154
1984 Toyota Pickup "The Geisha" 22RE conversion
1994 Toyota 4runner -Project vehicle
Old 08-25-2016, 03:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

The lack of a BFG AT in 255/85r16 is why I went with 235/85R16. That and roughly a 32" spare tire is about all that can fit under the bed on the 2nd gen Tacoma comfortably. FWIW, very happy with the KO2 so far.

I would have considered the Cooper but Discount didn't have any to look at. Do they even sell Cooper there or is it a special order?

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Special order, down here. took 3 days

97 DR650, 05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

I bought mine from GCR in Wheat ridge on 44th ave. (across from the truck stop). They have the st maxx and stt pro in their front room to look at. They were able to get mine in one day out of the cooper warehouse.
TLCA #23154
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Nice! Sounds like the ST Maxx might really fit the bill for me. This is a long shot, but can anyone compare them, the BFG all Terrains & Trxxus MT? For noise, durability, and snow/ice grip? Also how well do they all "crawl"? (The Trxxus MT is what I have now. Really like them, but don't really need them if something is more suitable for us)

Thanks
Abe
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

I don't feel there is really an answer to that question. It's pretty subjective and would depend on a lot of factors (i.e. vehicle, driving style, experience, etc.) If you really like the trxxus then I would stick with them. At least then you know what you are getting.
TLCA #23154
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bill is right, it's pretty impossible to know how to answer the question in any non-subjective way.

I will say in that context that I've had BFG MT (old style) and AT (both old and now new style) tires over the years and I've never liked the way the MT handled snow packed roads even siped.

The old AT I've always found adequate but I have high hopes with the KO2 because it now carries the 3 peak snowflake as an actual winter tire. I'm noticing that they have a road feel (kind of squishy for lack of a better term) and sound that is similar to the Blizzaks she used to use on the Civic, so it will be interesting.

I'm absolutely happy to entertain offers to mount Trxxus on my truck for a head-to-head test this winter.

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

It is subjective, but we all ask each other's opinions all the time, so I'm willing to accept that it might not be scientific process. But I know most of you guys have way more experience than I do, so I'll gladly accept opinions all day if anyone has them & is willing to post up. I'd go with the ko2 in a heartbeat if they had this size, because I love them on my fj62. I like the trxus but don't need that much tire or noise (no AC so windows open most of the time). So it seems like a good idea to explore options. Like I said, it seems unlikely, but maybe someone on here has experience running all three.