Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default Running a natural gas line for a range

My wife and I are planning to replace our electric range and we'd like to switch to natural gas. The good news is that our gas meter is on the same outside wall as the kitchen. I just need to tap into the line before it comes into the house, run about 16 feet of black pipe, and then poke through the wall behind the range.

See photos for what I intend to do.

Two questions for those of you who know more about home building than I do:

1. Is it OK to tap into the existing T on the outside pipe? One side of it has a plug, which I could remove. Or is this reserved for another purpose?

2. What size pipe do I need to run for a range: 1/2" or 3/4"

Thanks!
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

The pipe plug may be there to clean out the sediment but it's pointed the wrong way for it to really work like that so it's probably that it was 5PM Friday and the plumber ran out of black iron elbows on his truck.

I don't remember if Xcel has a minimum working distance from their equipment but it's likely that the elbow/tee may fall within a keep-out where your customer equipment must be. That's generally measured from the regulator (the big disk doohickey on the left side of the meter). This also determines responsibility, you may not be able to touch the tee because it's not yours but also if the pipe ever fails on the service side they have to fix it.

It'll be something like this:

I think the preferred way would be to tap the main trunk and make the run inside under the floor but I'm not familiar with the plumbing code to know if what you're asking is legal or not.

The size of the pipe will be determined by cubic feet per hour use and length of the run. You'll probably want 3/4" but hard to say without knowing more.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

BTW, Jefferson County is currently using the 2015 revision of the IBC (International Building Code). The larger libraries should have them if you want to find out what is the "right" way, which is basically what you'll have to argue interpretation with the inspector.

Honestly I'd consider just hiring a plumber, he'll do it more righter and quicker.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

IMHO you will want to go through the floor and tie into the stalk that is feeding your Gas furnace. Not tie into it outside

I did that with gas range, gas weber bbq and with the garage heater u sold me.

also, just about everyone runs flex pipe (csst) now for these kinds of jobs
TLCA#4180
Old 10-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The size of the pipe will be determined by cubic feet per hour use and length of the run. You'll probably want 3/4" but hard to say without knowing more.
I believe I can run 1/2" pipe. Total BTUs of the range is 71,500 (only if all 5 burners are operating and the oven). Natural gas, conveniently enough, contains 1000 btu per cubic ft, so I need to supply 72 cubic ft/hr. According to this chart, a 20' run of 1/2" pipe gets me 85 cubic feet per hour, which is more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Honestly I'd consider just hiring a plumber, he'll do it more righter and quicker.
Got a quote for $450, but I'm thinking I can do it myself for less than $100 in parts from Home Depot.
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 10-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
IMHO you will want to go through the floor and tie into the stalk that is feeding your Gas furnace. Not tie into it outside.
Two plumbers have told me that there's no problem running it outside. Just trying to keep the job simple. The part of my basement under the kitchen is finished, which makes it harder to run gas line.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

yeah 1/2 is enough and you can go on the outside but generally easier to tie into stalk with csst. The pics weren't loaded you want to tie into the vertical or horizontal pip vs going all the way around to that T. there isn't anything that would prevent you other than not looking that great.

Problem with using black pipe is all the turns and bends to make it look clean and cutting the pipe, cutting threads in pipe etc. you know the lengths you get at HD will not be exact for what you need
TLCA#4180
Old 10-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
yeah 1/2 is enough and you can go on the outside but generally easier to tie into stalk with csst. The pics weren't loaded you want to tie into the vertical or horizontal pip vs going all the way around to that T. there isn't anything that would prevent you other than not looking that great.

Problem with using black pipe is all the turns and bends to make it look clean and cutting the pipe, cutting threads in pipe etc. you know the lengths you get at HD will not be exact for what you need
Yeah, all the turns and lengths make me think that I will work backwards: drill through the exterior wall, run 16 feet of pipe over to the meter, and then do the last few measurements to hook it into the supply. HD will cut to size and rethread. I'm thinking that tying into the vertical pipe would be the easiest and cleanest looking.

I will investigate using csst inside before I start. That certainly would be a cleaner install.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Go 3/4. I have a giant Viking I picked up off Craig's and it uses a lot of gas. Better to have capacity then barely enough should you change ranges. Oh, and do put in a sediment condensate drain and do put shut offs on that line. When it leaks, lol, you'll be glad you have the ability to shut it off independently of anything else.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 10-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

I assume your basement is finished?

It's gonna be easiest coming off the vertical, just before the Cleanout T that goes into your house.

The city typically requires the pipe to hold 25 psi for 24 or 48 hours (been a while) which is about 10 times the pressure your gas is actually delivered to your house. A spray bottle with really soapy water is still the best way to find leaks if you're not able to get it to hold pressure.

It can drive you crazy finding where you are losing air...mine turned out to be a spot in my house that supposedly passed test for the builder...glad I added my BBQ and fire pit line and actually made my house safer!!!

Some codes require tape, others dope, some allow both...lots of variations on this so you'll want to check. Obviously the tape has to be the yellow kind rated for gas

It's not hard, but I cut all my own threads and that takes time and practice...I messed a few up while learning. I would have someone else cut my threads if I do it again.

You're lucky that you're adding near the coupling at the meter, because you really get into weird code things if you try to add a union in the existing run...many codes will not allow the union in a livable space in the house, because they are VERY prone to leaking.

I am not a plumber and nothing that I say here comes from me having a license or knowing what the hell IM doing...only from the two jobs on my hous I did and what I researched prior to doing those two jobs.
White 2008 GX470 - Nearly Stock
"I drive an ECO-FRIENDLY FZJ80...It's got a salvage title which makes it a REPURPOSED/REUSED/RECYCLED vehicle. Therefore, don't mess with me when I park in the "Reserved for Green Vehicle" spots in Boulder!!!
http://www.vrbo.com/322094