Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default do I need a new seal? or just a new transmission?

So I was changing some gear oil on the 40 today. Did everything but the t-case, as I ran out of gear oil. I did the tranny though, and front and rear diff. And engine- but I didn't put gear oil in that.

Anyway when I popped the "fill" plug on the transmission, a fairly large amount of gear oil proceeded to flow out that hole. Like a good quart or so, easy. So much that I was wondering why the PO tipped the truck on its side to fill the transmission, really no other way to get it that full using that side port.

So then I did some digging, and discover this is a symptom of a bad transmission input shaft seal. Or maybe it's a gearbox input seal. Like the transmission is sucking gear oil into the transmission from the transfer case. I have seen others who installed a return line.. actually I seem to remember Ige talking about this once. Anyway my clutch seems fine, so I don't think any gear oil has made its way in that direction.. I've been wiping gear oil from just about every surface, so tough to tell the source of any leak. But puzzling how much came out of the transmission today.

Later this week I'll buy more gear oil, then drop the oil in the t-case, just so I can cross that off the list. Any tests to do with the transmission while I'm down there?

And just to jump to conclusions.. my 82 has the split transfer case right? And my parking brake goes to the rear brakes. Which means a H55f isn't that out of the question?

05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

You definitely need a new seal, a new transmission could just be something you do because your in there.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-17-2016, 10:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
And just to jump to conclusions.. my 82 has the split transfer case right? And my parking brake goes to the rear brakes. Which means a H55f isn't that out of the question?
You're thinking the way I would think.

But your seal is definitely toast. You better do something about that. The best thing to do about that is to replace the transmission.

Dan
Old 01-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

it's a lot easier to do with a split case.

or just buy one of these:
http://manafrelv.com/product/man-a-f...transfer-case/

i think sor has them too: http://www.sor.com/cat062.sor
or you can try and source the parts yourself and make one

and btw if you don't fix it soon what usually happens is the oil gets low in the xfer, idler doesn't get oil, bearings start to go, gears chuck and take out the case
TLCA#4180
Old 01-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ok thanks guys. So I buy a $70 hose and that essentially buys me enough time to not worry about it? Can I run that hose indefinitely?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-17-2016, 10:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

yep, basically goes from fill plug to fill plug so if it starts to overfill it goes back to the xfer
TLCA#4180
Old 01-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

cool, ordered from sor, thanks Wes.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

One of the real causes of this is that (very likely) the vent cap on top of your transfer case is plugged with oil and gunk. While the transmission can vent through the shifter housing, the transfer case cannot.

When this xfer vent cap plugs, it allows the oil in the xfer case to pressurize and flow into the transmission. I had this 'transmission too full' problem on my '87 FJ60 and my '78 FJ40, and I fixed both by venting the xfer cases to a hose, mounted up high. On my FJ60, I never replaced the seal, and the problem never returned. Some other folks on Mud have supported my theory.

There's nothing wrong with the $70 oil hose as a short term fix, but a new seal AND modifying the xfer case vent cap is the long term solution (or, it has been for me).
Old 01-17-2016, 11:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Ok thanks guys. So I buy a $70 hose and that essentially buys me enough time to not worry about it? Can I run that hose indefinitely?
I've been running it that way for years.....

It's not perfect though. Every year or so I check each case, and usually end up topping off the T case and have excess in the transmission.

Steve - Good tip on the vent cap. I always assumed my seal was toast and never really checked for any other causes.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
One of the real causes of this is that (very likely) the vent cap on top of your transfer case is plugged with oil and gunk. While the transmission can vent through the shifter housing, the transfer case cannot.

When this xfer vent cap plugs, it allows the oil in the xfer case to pressurize and flow into the transmission. I had this 'transmission too full' problem on my '87 FJ60 and my '78 FJ40, and I fixed both by venting the xfer cases to a hose, mounted up high.
I've been thinking about this on my 60 (which has a brand spanking new seal in the rebuilt T-case). what sort of hose did you attach to the breather? did you drill and tap it for a fancy breather like ARB sells? Did you just pull the cap off and attach a hose to it?

Dan