Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default To tube or not to tube...

My 40 turns 4o this November, and I think I have the time, spare change and motivation to attack the rust on Maude. I'm going to cut my teeth on doing the body work on the fenders first... or build tube fenders. I rub a lot on full compression and turns running 35's and 4" of SUA lift, as my suspension has lost some lift over the years.

I think long term of returning to OEM wheels and tall skinny tires combo like Marin's old rig. So I'm leaning towards fixing the OEM fenders they have rust in the usual spots over the brace and behind the turn signal. However, I am trying to decide if I should dust of my bender and make up a set that would serve my current setup better when wheeling.

Thoughts?

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

I really like tube fenders on 40's when they approximate the factory fenders. They look really sharp IMHO. I also think it is easier to start with fresh steel, as well as thicker metal to weld stuff up. Fixing sheet metal is always a pain in the butt for me. So, my vote is for tube fenders.

I also think a set of tubes in the rear looks really good to round out the truck: helps it match up front to rear. Tall skinny tires still look great with the tubes as well, assuming the fenders don't stick way out of the sides.

Just my $0.02.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

This is a philosophical question, then? As much as I like stock and stock-like trucks, I don't see any reason to hamstring yourself to being 100% right on a truck that you want to use more than demonstrate factory period correctness. IOW, nice looking tube fenders serve the same purpose as the originals, to keep mud from being sprayed all over, but fix an inherent rust weakness and also are less likely to be bent on trails. Same reason I don't mind seeing EFI or 5 speeds put in a 1st gen Hilux, it's really an improvement and makes the truck more functional.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-14-2015, 07:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Make some tube fenders, but not permanent. Then you can work on your stock fenders until they are perfect. They can go back on when you return her to stock!
"I drive an ECO-FRIENDLY FZJ80...It's got a salvage title which makes it a RECYCLED vehicle. Therefore, don't mess with me when I park in the "Reserved for Green Vehicle" spots in Boulder!!!
http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

I was thinking that Paul, but pulling the fenders and seeing how they turn out then deciding if I want to run them or pull a few bends. I don't think they'll take that long, there are two rust spots per fender about the size of a silver dollar and one about the size of a post-it note.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

The last option which still isn't a great one is aftermarket fenders. I think I got mine from CCOT after I rolled my 40. They were not perfect, but they fit and looked pretty good.
"I drive an ECO-FRIENDLY FZJ80...It's got a salvage title which makes it a RECYCLED vehicle. Therefore, don't mess with me when I park in the "Reserved for Green Vehicle" spots in Boulder!!!
http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 04-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

On the Blue Mule, I had Redline build tube fenders that looked very much like the original fenders. Here is a good picture for comparison. The Blue Redline 40 is all original, the Mule fenders are very HD DOM tube and plate steel. They were built to be part of the body armor and only require a shot of rattle can to clean them up after rubbing on rocks.

The other 3 40's have non OEM looking tube fenders of various designs.
Attached Images

Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 NOW 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock & (2) 1970 Boss 302 Mustang's THEN 69 FJ40 Buggy "Meanie", Mini-truck "Gecko" & 74 FJ40 "Blue Mule"
Old 04-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

I like Randy's design (or Redline's). If you are going to go tube, make it look as OEM as possible. Otherwise it starts to look "Jeepy."