Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Sound issues installing Pioneer AVH

Hi all,

I'm installing a Pioneer AVH stereo into my 80 and I'm getting some strange behavior based on which wires I have plugged in and what position my key is in. I have a Metra harness that I'm using to plug the Pioneer into the two gray stereo plugs behind the dash (the ones that bypass the amp). Here's what I'm seeing:

- plug the main/large harness in, which powers the radio and front speakers, and everything works fine. Sound only from the front speakers as would be expected in all cases of Acc, On or car running.

- plug the secondary harness in, which has the 4 wires that feed the rear speakers, and it works some of the time. In the Accessory position, I get power to the radio, but no sound from any speakers. Move the key to the On position, and I get sound from both the front and the back speakers. Switch back to Accessory, and I maintain sound to both the front and rear speakers. See the video if you'd like the demo.

- if I turn on the engine with both harnesses plugged in, I get no sound.

I had a Kenwood stereo in this truck for 5-6 years before it bricked, and I had that stereo plugged in the same way and everything worked fine. When it died I plugged the OEM stereo back in and it also worked fine.

Thoughts? The secondary plug is so simple - 4 speaker wires. I checked the solder connections on my harness and they look fine, and I pulled the rear door panels as well to make sure the speaker wires weren't grounding out in the door. Everything looked fine. Given that everything works when I put the key to the "On" position, I seem to have no malfunctioning equipment.

THoughts on where to look next?
Old 10-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

It was the $%#* factory amp. I don't think I ever unplugged it for the Kenwood and that radio worked fine, so I guess Pioneer is a bit different in its needs. Anyway - simple solution.