Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 12-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Yankee Hill 12-3-05

JKMimmel and I ended up heading for Yankee Hill. We left from Central City's cemetary and headed up the trail with the destination of SNOW in mind. At first, we were disappointed by the hardpacked snow with tufts of grass sticking up and the well plowed roads (there are a bunch more building sites up there now than I remembered!) Up past the playground area we came across a full size Bronco and a Jeep Cherokee. They were having a great time and encouraged us that there was deep snow up the trail (and a Samuri) They had radio's and radioed ahead so the Samuri was safely off the trail by the time we motored past.

JKimmel was in front and was bustin' trail with his 40 inch swampers (His axles and truck were rarely touching the snow) It was finally getting really fun (read that DEEP) as we struggled up the hills (I more than JKimmel to be sure.) Until we were finally stopped. JKimmel's sharp ear caught the sound of "RICE" in the snow. "That's the Sammy!" We worked off the trail, but they just got around the last corner and it was all over for 'em too. We followed them back but chose to turn left onto another numbered route. I recognized it as one I had been stuck on last year!" I gave JKimmel the news and we started down the trail anyway. We only got to the next drift before JKimmel finaly planted his 4runner. 2 tugs with the strap and he was out and we headed back down to the cemetary. We caught up to the other 3 wheelers who told us we were only 10 minutes from pavement. We had almost made it over yankee hill. JKimmel noticed the his fuel line had worked loose and was rubbing on the driveshaft. Can you imagine the result of a ruptured fuel line spilling onto the driveshaft wich would fling it onto the exhaust?! Whoa. Glad we stopped and wired it back up. Had good supper at TommyKnockers.

I had a GREAT time playing in the snow. Next time I'll air down and see if it makes a difference.

Couple of pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by leiniesred; 12-04-2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

lots and lots of fun! with the heater on full blast it was surprisingly comfortable without doors.

I still think I'm ready to build a 1st gen runner though
Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

looks like it was fun

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 12-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Damm, looks like a lot of nice fresh snow. Thanks for the write up and posting that map. I can tell exaxctly where you were. That's it, we won't be making it to the top of Yankee Hill this winter. So I guess you didn't camp? That would have been cool.

I need to get a run up there planned soon.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

planned on camping, but it was about 20 degrees when I left the trailer, and when I got back it was about 10

decided it was just too cold.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Wincher

sounds like you had a good time, looks like alot of fun.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Administrator

how/what made that map? I'm getting a GPS from santa and I want that kinda stuff. I must have the RIP icons as well.

sweet pics too! I remember back when I got to go 4 wheeling, those were the days.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Kipper sleeping in GPS class?

Kipper?! Were you sleeping in GPS class?

I used my OLD Garmin GPS III+. (http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsIIIp/)
The Cemetary ICON is built in, but a little different on it. I started a track log at the parking area and let it run. I forget what the interval is set to, but I collected about 264 datapoints. I turned the unit off when I remembered back in Central City.

Next, I plugged the unit into my laptop (on the ol' serial port) running the GARMIN MapSource software. In particular, US TOPO (http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo.jsp) I dumped my tracklog to the laptop; selected the route; clicked SHOW ON MAP and there we were. I did an ALT+ PRINTSCREEN and pasted it into good old MSPAINT.EXE. Chopped it down a little and saved it as a GIF for size considerations.

The MapSource software has it's own "cemetary" icon and that is what it put on the map.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default video from yankee hill

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=yankee+hill

Thanks Hulk it works!
Old 12-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

What about us with proxies. We need a right click save as version. They blocked google video at work.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133