Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Photoshop?

While seemingly silly to go to a 4x4 board for advice on Photoshop, I know you freaks spend quite a bit of time doing this stuff and know it well. So...

I want to get Forrest set up with Photoshop. He is an incredible artist, using pencil and pen media. He barely can find his way around on a computer, but he is doing better. I am told he really needs to get conversant with Photoshop, so off I go googling... EEEEEK!!! Not only prices, but SHEESH, how in the world do I decide what to get him? I am thinking BASIC here, just to get his feet wet and edit simple images, not necessarily movies or animation.

Another complication: I am loathe to buy a Mac. I used to be a Mac devotee, but since then all I have done is PCs. We already have one office with one computer (besides my laptop) and I am not thrilled with the idea of plunking MORE money down on a new computer - and where to put it? And I get to support it when my wife and kid inevitably blow something up? Not exciting.

Yet lots of artist friends say, Mac rules. For this purpose however, the software is the same, no? New monitors should make things equal. New CPU, if necessary, should do likewise. Currently running 1GB memory on a 1.6GHz box, WinXP.

Please advise o trusted ones.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think Photo Shop makes a program called Elements... it is a stripped down home user version for a lot less bank. I love the full blown Photoshop, I had a few classes on it in college and I know how to use roughly... .0334% of the Big program.

Just my .02

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Photoshop CS is not as expensive if you buy it through a local college. Approx $1000 off retail. You need at least Adobe CS3 Design Premium. I would not suggest Elements but if you want to try it, I have about ten or so licensed copies you can have.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16832105315

A 32" flat screen would help as well. More real estate is always better. Buy the book, it helps as well. I have a few old ones if you want to start there.

Here is another good example....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116134 349 retail...approx 60 at the Regis bookstore.

Mac vs PC is anyone's guess. DO NOT BUY VISTA 64bit. It is not compatible with Photoshop! (yet)
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, Element sounds exactly like what he would need just to start. Let me know how to get the program and book from you. Then, if he takes to it, we can upgrade (while he is still a student of cour$e). So you agree, a Mac may be nice but not really all THAT much nicer?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Any of you guru's want to do a "Getting Started" informal workshop?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

oooh! I would supply the beer for that workshop!! Always wanted some more practice with it...
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I can learn you, just let me know.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

What a great way to get Forrest started! His B-day is December 14, so are you thinking sometime after that? If I get him Element, will that be pretty close to what he needs?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 11-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

photoshop is the most difficult thing I ever tried to learn... it is not to be taken lightly. I would HIGHLY recommend the acc course on it, or other community course. It's an incredible program.

It will even turn out cad files (qxf and others)
Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Have you already ruled out the Gimp? total free open source, and it looks like those guys went to a lot of trouble to make the controls just like PhotoShop. I'm running 2.2.8 here at work and I like it a lot, looks like they're on a newer version now http://www.gimp.org/

But if Forrest were to get good at Gimp, those skills would be immediately transferrable to the real deal Photoshop. Kind of like learing to wheel a J##P, later once you get behind the wheel of a real truck you'd probably do pretty good... not the same product but the basics are all still there.

IMO, download him the Gimpshop today, then later when he takes a class in Photoshop he'll probably find his way to a student version, and will be way ahead.

www.gamiviti.com