Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
Thank you obi wan.

I just need to know lengths on the models to decide.
"Obi Wan, a name mine is not!" "Yota you shall call, my name it is."

"Bolts, two inline, great strength it will be!"

"A 56, you need a rack length to be!"
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 11-26-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Two s up Nathaniel!!

Still need to grab my gutter mounts from you as well. Any thoughts on when production versions of the cross bars will be available? Also, is it possible to use 80 series bars on a 40 so I only have to buy one set of bars or would a person want to get a set of 60 series bars to use for both?
Hopefully before Christmas. Jeff, you going to toys for tots? I can drop your mounts off there, or at the next meeting. Unless you need them right away, then I'll come on down. LMK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Wow those are pretty. So would the wider 60 version still mate up with an 80? Just in case one wanted a little bit wider roof rack...

And how'd you get that hole in your pants?
The hole spacing in the center of the hat section will be the same all the way across. As long as the roof is narrow enough to get two bolts in each side, they will fit on just about any vehicle.

Grinding steel WILL burn clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Awesome Nathanial! Not trying to be a MUD (pun intended) slinger but is one bolt really sufficient in lateral strength? Seems like the leverage on that one bolt would be tremendous!
No, like Jeff said, they are meant to have 2 bolts per side. I just put them up in quick desparation on sunday to get a picture for the anxious Mudders. I was really putting up christmas lights on the house, and wanted to take advantage of not so bad temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
Thank you obi wan.

I just need to know lengths on the models to decide.
I think they will be ~50" and ~62". Two versions.

Jeff, the shorter crossbars ~50" will not reach on a FJ40. If you go with the ~62" bars, you will have approximately 6" on either side sticking out. On the 80, that means that the end of the crossbar will be 3" past even with the raingutter on each side.

I'll do some more R&D and see what works. I will also post up a pic of the tube bracket to attach the roofrack to the crossbar. The pic is of the round tube version, which would then have u-bolts attch to the crossbar. The square one will be pretty much the same principal, just using squared off u-bolts.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Jeff, you going to toys for tots? I can drop your mounts off there, or at the next meeting. Unless you need them right away, then I'll come on down. LMK.
Hope to attend the Toys for Tots so that will work...If not the next meeting is fine as I don't have any plans to use them until the cross bars are ready

Quote:
I think they will be ~50" and ~62". Two versions.

Jeff, the shorter crossbars ~50" will not reach on a FJ40. If you go with the ~62" bars, you will have approximately 6" on either side sticking out. On the 80, that means that the end of the crossbar will be 3" past even with the raingutter on each side.
Cool...So the ~50" are what you show mounted up on the 80 that are flush with the mounts? My planned use would mostly be to mount the RTT which I haven't quite figured out how that will work yet - Having some cross bar going out past the rails wouldn't bother me at all.

Quote:
I'll do some more R&D and see what works. I will also post up a pic of the tube bracket to attach the roofrack to the crossbar. The pic is of the round tube version, which would then have u-bolts attch to the crossbar. The square one will be pretty much the same principal, just using squared off u-bolts.
Hmmm...Now I am confused (easily done mind you ). So you would need these brackets to mount up a rack, but only if the rack is the exact width or will there be more mount holes so the brackets can be "shifted" in or out as needed?

Any thought on coming up with other attachment bracket "options"? One of the reason I started down the Thule rack path on my LX was I have Thule bike carriers and a Thule ski carrier which obviously aren't going to work with these cross bars as is. Guess I could just drill holes through Thule bars and mount them to the gutter mounts...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Hope to attend the Toys for Tots so that will work...If not the next meeting is fine as I don't have any plans to use them until the cross bars are ready

Cool...So the ~50" are what you show mounted up on the 80 that are flush with the mounts? My planned use would mostly be to mount the RTT which I haven't quite figured out how that will work yet - Having some cross bar going out past the rails wouldn't bother me at all.

Hmmm...Now I am confused (easily done mind you ). So you would need these brackets to mount up a rack, but only if the rack is the exact width or will there be more mount holes so the brackets can be "shifted" in or out as needed?

Any thought on coming up with other attachment bracket "options"? One of the reason I started down the Thule rack path on my LX was I have Thule bike carriers and a Thule ski carrier which obviously aren't going to work with these cross bars as is. Guess I could just drill holes through Thule bars and mount them to the gutter mounts...
The ones in the proto photos are 48" long. The reason to go to 50" is to accomodate FJ60's.

A round tube rack would need some sort of transition, welded or clamped, to go from the round tube to the flat crossbar. Otherwise you are trying to attach off of a tangent point, which is very small and easily squashed. That is what the bracket would help with. The Crossbars should have some holes peppered across the length of all flats in even increments. That way, whatever the rack you put on there, the brackets should help make that transistion from round to flat.

For a flat rack, ideally it should be welded to the flat crossbar. In order to make some flexibility, especially to take apart and store, the design would also accomodate brackets for square tubing as well. While the transition from square tube to flat crossbar isn't really necessary, it makes it look a bit more thought through that just putting the u-bolts over the square tube to the rack.

We should be at toys for tots, so I'll bring em there. I should also have a Rev-E proto for the crossbar and the pricing by the Dec. club meeting.