Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Wincher

Send a message via AIM to Cheese

Isaac, my old school Rockstomper ones actually bolt there.

Some complained that because it connected the body to the frame essentially negating the bodymounts, it was a bad plan. The ride got rough for Schaefer, that is how I first met him.

It can't move because it is attached. Has worked well for almost 75k miles and some decent abuse.

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is longing for leaving..."

www.sleeoffroad.com
www.sonoransteel.com
Old 12-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hmm. Well, lots to think about.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

I used marlins on my truck, only because they were 135 shipped. So far so good but I view them as replaceable. I cut 3x3 pieces of 1/4"flat stock and put them on the frame then welded sliders to that. 3 pairs and no issues yet.

My last pair I used 2x4 .250 square tube with 1 3/4 .120 legs and they were great too. I think I spent 60bucks for the steel, give or take a bit.

As far as the seam...My first pair they were mounted just below the seam and there were a couple spots were they bumped the seam, and bent the seam. My last two pairs, I pounded the seam flat and used a jack to put the sliders on the bottom of the body then cut and installed runners to the frame.

There are plenty of good guys here who can weld, they aren't that tough to make and stick on Maybe you could learn how.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
That's what eats me up. I actually was taught how to weld at a previous job, many, many years ago. Worked at an applied technology lab for an industrial gas company. I was mainly involved with the food freezing and heat treating sections, but the welding gases guys always needed help. Besides, they got tired of me asking them to do our stainless fab, so I taught myself how to work the machine tools and welders. I got pretty decent with the Bridgeport and we had a couple of beasts, a Miller 350A AC/DC TIG and a Hobart Mega Arc 400A MIG. So they taught me what I needed to know about TIG and MIG. We sold regular argon, CO2 and CO2/argon, but MG industries also sold this argon specialty mix for robotic welding, we called it Argomix. If you see Monon trailers, all welded with our shielding gases. But it's been 13 years since I've been around a welder, so I'm very out of touch and I'm sure my welds would be terrible. But I look at these and I know what I want, then think >$400? They have to be easy to make...

Like riding a bike man!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Like riding a bike man!
yup...play with one for ten minutes and I bet you are right back. If you know the basics thats all you really need.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Rock Stacker

I notched my pinch seam where the legs of the sliders attach to the frame so I could mount them as close to the body as possible. I maybe left 1/4 between the slider and the seam. I also angled up my Marlin sliders 1/2 from the door. I wanted them to fit tight. I'm with J Kimmel, they are a replaceable item if they get trashed after several years of wheeling. I personally wouldn't spend $400 on sliders, that's crazy.

To answer the orginal question, I don't see why you couldn't notch the tube and fit the pinch seam inside of the tube. But, you might lose some body protection having them that close to the body. Some of the rocks have sharp points on them and might snag the body right above the tube/pinch seam.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would think you'd lose more slider integrity by notching them than gaining body strength. You'd be better off notching the seam and putting the slider tight to the body.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

come by and look at mine. If you like it I'll help you build a set, they aren't difficult. If you don't like what I have done on mine, you can spend the cash or find someone else. No need to spend 400 bucks on sliders
Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

four lengths? Probably want some longer lengths also if you want bent kickouts. I drink what I'm given.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
I'm with J Kimmel, they are a replaceable item if they get trashed after several years of wheeling. I personally wouldn't spend $400 on sliders, that's crazy.
Crazy for someone with welding equipment, welding skills and a (optionally) tube bender. But believe or not, there's still many of us out there that have to pay for such skills, and pay a company willing to go through all the business aspects of producing an item to sell en masse.

Or have a colleague like J Kimmel willing to help and supply the equipment