Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert View Post
I have one you can borrow
Thanks, Dan. My last router was on loan from a friend for like 5 years, I finally gave it back to her about a year ago... I need to get my own here, I know I'll use it.

As for the Wi Fi, we've got a Microsoft router here that works pretty good, in fact every computer in the house is wireless. I've got a little USB antenna that works alright when on the counter, but won't work inside the closet with the CPU for some reason. But any time the power goes off we lose internet until we find the right combination of resets between the cable modem and the router, it can get kind of annoying. So in my next house, I'm going to run CAT5 everywhere and just plug in.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

If you have a cable modem, you should power down both the modem and your router. Wait about 30 seconds, then turn on the cable modem. Once the lights stabilize (typically 1-3 minutes), turn on the router.

That's the protocol I settled into back when I had cable...

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 12-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

any basic router will work for home use...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

I recommend Linksys as well. We standardized on the WRT54G Linksys for remote users here at work after trying various other models. My Linksys SpeedBooster version (more memory) and the larger antennas covers my whole house real well. I wired cat5 for my main desktop downstairs but I wouldn't have had too.

I would only mess with cat5 to a few key locations, wireless will take care of the rest. Especially when we all have the new generation wireless (Ultra Wideband-UWB).
Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

My DSL modem came with wireless, but it was slow with even two users. I had as many as 7 concurrent users and it was extremely slow. Ended up turning off the built-in AP, and adding a separate, high-tech new-fangled, NetGear WPN802v2. It has newer, smarter antennas built-in. It is MUCH faster with multiple clients, has great signal strength, and doesn't periodically just stop passing some host's traffic.

I run my desktop (work) computer hard-wired, and have two laptops right next to it that run wireless. For internet stuff, they're all about the same speed.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

I run a cisco 2610 modular router. It is 100% uptime as long as the power is up.
Unplug and reboot? Unheard of.

I connected it in an "unsupported configuration" to QWEST with a WIC1-ADSL card.
It also has an AIM-VPNEPII card for off-loading the 3DES encryption/decryption load of my VPN.

It only has 2 Ethernet connections, but it could host a 16 port GB ethernet network module too. I just run a separate switch for now.

Behind the 2610, I run a Cisco PIX 515E firewall and a Cisco 2924XL 24 port switch. Wireless is hosted by a Cisco 1200 series access point.

A little much for a home network? yeah. I guess.

In summary, I'll recommend the WRT54G.