Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 12-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Vernal Supplemental EIS Comments (Ends 1/3/08)

The next one in the cue is coming up quickly, too. This one ends close to the holidays, so take the time to drop an email now before getting caught up in bowl games, eggnog and family dinners.

This one is similar to the Price Field Office RMP SEIS, adding a 'Non-WSA Lands with Wilderness Characteristics' definition to an existing EIS/RMP. Important to say that there is no legal authority for managing lands as WSA unless they are designated as such during public review and comment.

http://www.sharetrails.org/public_lands/?section=Vernal

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/verna...ental_rmp.html

UT_Vn_Comments@blm.gov

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hey folks, wake up! This is now in the crosshairs of the Wilderness Society. Frustrating that we would agree with them on oil and gas development, but there we are, listed along with development as a threat to the area! Grrr...

TWS will fight us every inch of the way if we EVER try to get new trails opened (which does happen, witness OCG Carnage, Patriot trail system, etc.) to meet the increased OHV demand while not increasing per-mile impacts. EVERY inch.

Got this just this afternoon. They are encouraging folks to customize their letters too, so they don't get roundfiled by being obviously web generated.

Dear ####,

The unsurpassed beauty of Dinosaur National Monument, the
awesome silence of Desolation and Grey Canyons, the rugged
Eastern Bookcliffs, and some of the Colorado Plateau's most
stunning wilderness - all of this splendor in northeastern Utah
is publicly owned by you, me, and all Americans.

That makes these areas doubly precious. Click the link below to
help protect these wilderness-quality areas:
Their web letter generator link

Filled with ancient cultural artifacts and dinosaur fossils,
critical habitat for a wide range of wildlife, and outstanding
opportunities for backpacking, rafting, and other quiet
recreational activities, this area merits the highest
protection.

But a plan being devised by the BLM, which manages these lands
for all of us, would open some of these areas to oil and gas
development and increased off-road vehicle use.

Please take a moment to click through to our action page and
urge the BLM to protect these areas. Click here:
Their web letter generator link
We know this is a busy time for you. Thank you for taking
action!

Sincerely,
Kathy Kilmer
The Wilderness Society

P.S. Comments are due January 3. Remember, we always try to
provide lots of additional information on our action page under
the "Tell Me More" link.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Is this UT_Vn_Comments@blm.gov the address we send our e-mails to.

Should we agree in our comments on the gas and oil but maintain it remain open for off road use?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yep, Romer, you be correct to my knowledge.
RE: oil and gas, I know we need to develop resources but for crying out loud, we need to preserve wildlands too, as well as our access to them. When the resources are depleted, what will remain of the wildlands? Them's my thoughts, YMMV.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

letter sent

Dear BLM Member

The area in consideration in Vernal Utah is precious land. As an American I am proud of how the BLM and forest service has set aside land for public use. It is the beauty of these lands that make us appreciate what we have in this great country of ours. I belong to a responsible Off road club. By responsible I mean we certify members in the Tread Lightly program to teach the rest of the club. Anyone acting irresponsibly on one of our runs is sent home and this means staying on the designated trails and obeying all laws and regulations. Our club has two trails which we have adopted in Colorado; Argentine Trail and Jenny Creek Trail. We were on the news over the summer for working with the Boulder Ranger district to help reclaim the Jenny Creek trail. This included shutting down the off trail and mud bogs by installing fences per the USFS direction with donations and labor provided by our club. We have also developed an excellent relationship with the BLM and have been very responsible with our “Cruise Moab” permit that we have had over the last 11 years. Our club runs generally provide prizes to who ever picks up the most trash on the trail. We stop and talk to people we see ignoring the rules and find for the most part, it is because they were not aware of the rules. If we see illegal trails while we are on an approved trail, we will stop and try and close it off and then report it.

Why do we do all of this? Access to these precious lands is very important to us and we feel it is key to set the example and work with the BLM and USFS to ensure the trails are being used responsibly. It is not someone else problem to police, but all who enjoy these national treasures.

That is why the Vernal Utah land is so special to us. The land there is beautiful and being there touches the soul. You can’t have that experience from the highway, but only via these legal and designated trails. This is how we teach our children about these important National Resources and how can we show them how precious they are without being there?

Unlike many of those seeking to close this area, I am a local to the Colorado/Utah area and use these trails. My letter is about land I have seen, visited and value. I tend to agree with these folks about limiting gas and mining, but obviously differ in believing it is important we keep access to the citizens who enjoy the land responsibly. Otherwise, it’s like a famous peace of art locked away in a vault. To paraphrase an old saying, “is there beauty if no one is there to see it?”

Thank you for your time and please feel free to contact me about keeping these trails open for responsible off road use.

Thank You,

Kenneth L. Romer
Rising Sun 4X4 club of Colorado
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Today Is The Day, Folks!

My letter, to UT_VN_RMP_Supplement@blm.gov email address edited!:
Quote:
Dear BLM Representative-

I was very concerned when I saw that a 'Non-WSA Lands with Wilderness Characteristics' definition was added to an existing EIS/RMP. It is extremely important to note that there is no legal authority for managing lands as WSAs unless they are designated as such during public review and comment.

I truly appreciate the need to preserve our public lands and to conserve them with regards to wildlife, erosion, and water quality. Our 4x4 club is a responsible club, meaning we adopt roads and trails and rehabilitate wetlands - we have been featured in local news outlets for some of the projects we have funded and completed with volunteer labor and significant donations. Our annual Cruise Moab event, a success for over ten years, and a valuable responsible use experience for hundreds of 4x4 recreationists, generates significant funds which we then turn around and donate to land use causes. We put our money where our mouth is, in other words. But managing non-Wilderness lands as defacto Wilderness, thereby creating another category of management not designated through Congress or other public processes, is not the way to do it and will only embroil the BLM in legal challenges.

Proper signage, sustainable trail routing, maps, and on the ground education via interpretive markers and printed materials are the best means of keeping access open to ALL recreationists while minimizing impact. Please contact us for assistance in this regard; we stand ready to serve.

We have worked hard to develop an excellent relationship with the BLM and have been very responsible with our “Cruise Moab” permit that we have had over the last 11 years. On every club run, we compete to see who can pick up the most trash, and we report trail conditions - and volunteer to address them - with local land managers. We stop and talk to people we see ignoring the rules and find for the most part, it is because they were not aware of the rules. If we see an illegal user-created route while we are on an approved route, we will stop and try to block it off and then report it to the local land manager.

Why do we do all of this? Access to these precious lands is prized by us and we feel it is key to set the example and work with the BLM and USFS to ensure the trails are being used responsibly. It is not someone else problem to police, but all who enjoy these national treasures. Motorized access is the only means most of us have at our disposal to see them.

To quote an early wildlands preservation advocate, "What good is wilderness if no one can ever see it?"

Please do not reduce motorized access at a time when demand is increasing. Doing so will only increase the per-mile impact on remaining OHV-legal wild lands, turning them into 'throw-away' areas, degrading the recreation experience, and ironically teaching people that these areas do not matter - worsening the existing land use problems.

Thank you for your time and please feel free to contact me about keeping these trails open for responsible off road use.

Thank You,

Bill Morgan
Rising Sun 4X4 club of Colorado
Land Use Coordinator
[address]
KDěRCH
Bio Page

Last edited by Red_Chili; 01-03-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

I dunno if anyone's picked up on this, the email seems to be: UT_VN_RMP_Supplement@blm.gov

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, the BRC kinda dropped that ball. Found it on the BLM site and edited it one minute before your post!
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

my message bounced?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Check the email addy, did you use the one that was edited this morning?
KDěRCH
Bio Page