Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default winch cable question - make extensions?

So, I replaced my wire cable with Synth. and have about 125' of it lyin' around.

I called a couple places to see if they would cut it at the nasty kink and make two lengths (thimbled and looped, etc) so I could have an extension. They were concerned about safety/liablity and wouldn't do it. Any suggestions on where to call? or is it even possible. (I called two towing companies.)

-S
Old 01-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60
So, I replaced my wire cable with Synth. and have about 125' of it lyin' around.

I called a couple places to see if they would cut it at the nasty kink and make two lengths (thimbled and looped, etc) so I could have an extension. They were concerned about safety/liablity and wouldn't do it. Any suggestions on where to call? or is it even possible. (I called two towing companies.)

-S
Congradulations and welcome to the 6lb cable weight group! You will not be disappointed in your decision!
You can easily cut the cable by wraping black electrical tape tightly around where your cutting it and using a bolt cutter or hack saw. Go to any hardware store and get a thimble and two cable clamps per cable end, and DIY.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default love the Synth!

LOL! When I got the box from Rockstomper, I thought, "Great. they forgot to put it in the box!"...That stuff is sah-weeet.

Thanks for the heads up! I was a little concerned about my DIY job being strong enough. But, after reading your post, I pulled a nice "winching primer" that goes through setting up the new cable! I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks!

cardinalfj60
Old 01-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

The Flemish Eye Splice is an easy DIY way of making safe loops in the end of cable. Use 2 Bow and Saddle clamps instead of a swedge and it can be re-spliced in the feild in case the loop gets kinked or flattened.