Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
TLCA has roughly 4000 members and of those members I would say less than 100 have ham radios. Are you saying screw talking to the other 3900 Toyheads because they don't have the same equipment you have? With that kind of attitude those other 3900 probably don't want to talk to you anyway!
Gimme a break. The majority of the 4000 members of TLCA don't take their rigs off the pavement. I bet there are about 800 guys (and a few gals) that actually wheel.

When I was on that pre-run to Hotel Rock, half the trucks had Ham and nearly everyone had CB too.

Let me put it this way: just because you buy a Hi-Lift jack, you don't leave your bottle jack at home, do you? Both are useful, but one of them is far more useful than the other.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Gimme a break. The majority of the 4000 members of TLCA don't take their rigs off the pavement. I bet there are about 800 guys (and a few gals) that actually wheel.

When I was on that pre-run to Hotel Rock, half the trucks had Ham and nearly everyone had CB too.

Let me put it this way: just because you buy a Hi-Lift jack, you don't leave your bottle jack at home, do you? Both are useful, but one of them is far more useful than the other.
Exactly! Thats my counter point to this statement from you..."If you already have a CB and you don't see the need for another radio, no worries. If you have neither and are wondering which one to buy, I'd make the case to go straight to ham."
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Exactly! Thats my counter point to this statement from you..."If you already have a CB and you don't see the need for another radio, no worries. If you have neither and are wondering which one to buy, I'd make the case to go straight to ham."
True. But if I had neither bottle jack nor hi-lift, and they were about the same price, and one was much better than the other...

The number of wheelers using Ham Radio is growing rapidly. It soon will no longer be a niche technology. If funds are limited, I recommend buying into the future rather than the past.

You'll understand once you get license and radio. People probably argued against lockers before they experienced one, too, back in the dark ages of 1990.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

You'll understand once you get license and radio. People probably argued against lockers before they experienced one, too, back in the dark ages of 1990.
I highly doubt it! Most folks have discovered 35" (and up) tires are superior off highway but I seriously doubt the occasional wheeler will spend the money it takes to run that tall of tires when their 31's and 33's work well for them!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Throw out the CB? Seriously?

Doesn't make much sense, but stupider suggestions have been made.

On last years GTR, I used both. It was my run, and I didn't want to leave anyone out. Was I talking alot? Yeah, but that is just how I like the GTR, full of nice little details about where we are going, and where we have been. It fits in my opinion.

The joke about throwing the CB out in my mind came when Nakman had trouble with his CB during the Argentine part of the GTR. No one knew he was talking. He made the tongue in cheek comment to "throw the CB out the window".

The point I will make is that in choosing a setup, having the base knowledge that HAM requires gives most of those folks the basic knowledge to troubleshoot problems with their equipment when they happen. Due to the FCC forming the Citizens Band channels so that everyone could transmit pretty much means that the focus on understanding how it works was left to the user. Many times this was ignored in light of just slapping it together and talking. Granted, CB previously required a license, it was less of a basis for knowledge and more for knowing who was going to be do it.

What gets me is the number of people who will still just throw their station together. No consideration for the simple things that can make all the difference. A $15 homebrew antenna and a $40 Radio Shack CB can outperform a Firestik and a $250 Cobra any day of the week. Just depends on the installation. Funny thing? All the folks who insist that HAM is not for them don't realize CB is limited to 5 watts, legally. Since CB is in the 11 meter band (27-28 MhZ), the fiberglass Firestik antennas are poor performers for the frequencies. Remember those guys with the 120" whips with the tennis balls on them? More appropriate length and thusly better performance. Bruce Miller told us a story of using a converted CB radio for 10 Meters on 5 watts. He was talking to people half way round the world, with the right antenna.

For the Amateur Radio operator, transmitter power must be the minimum necessary to carry out the desired communications. Unless otherwise noted, the maximum power output is 1500 watts PEP. That's alot 'o power! The greatest thing about being a HAM in comparison to CB? The ability to tinker.

As for being elite, I just hope no one thinks their kids are elitists for being a high school grad or passing their driving test. I earned my way into HAM radio just like anyone who has the desire can do. I studied, watched other HAMs and just had a basic interest in it.

I'm not here to sell it. I'm just here to enjoy helping people who want to do it be successful at it.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Doesn't make much sense, but stupider suggestions have been made.

On last years GTR, I used both. It was my run, and I didn't want to leave anyone out. Was I talking alot? Yeah, but that is just how I like the GTR, full of nice little details about where we are going, and where we have been. It fits in my opinion.

The joke about throwing the CB out in my mind came when Nakman had trouble with his CB during the Argentine part of the GTR. No one knew he was talking. He made the tongue in cheek comment to "throw the CB out the window".

The point I will make is that in choosing a setup, having the base knowledge that HAM requires gives most of those folks the basic knowledge to troubleshoot problems with their equipment when they happen. Due to the FCC forming the Citizens Band channels so that everyone could transmit pretty much means that the focus on understanding how it works was left to the user. Many times this was ignored in light of just slapping it together and talking. Granted, CB previously required a license, it was less of a basis for knowledge and more for knowing who was going to be do it.

What gets me is the number of people who will still just throw their station together. No consideration for the simple things that can make all the difference. A $15 homebrew antenna and a $40 Radio Shack CB can outperform a Firestik and a $250 Cobra any day of the week. Just depends on the installation. Funny thing? All the folks who insist that HAM is not for them don't realize CB is limited to 5 watts, legally. Since CB is in the 11 meter band (27-28 MhZ), the fiberglass Firestik antennas are poor performers for the frequencies. Remember those guys with the 120" whips with the tennis balls on them? More appropriate length and thusly better performance. Bruce Miller told us a story of using a converted CB radio for 10 Meters on 5 watts. He was talking to people half way round the world, with the right antenna.

For the Amateur Radio operator, transmitter power must be the minimum necessary to carry out the desired communications. Unless otherwise noted, the maximum power output is 1500 watts PEP. That's alot 'o power! The greatest thing about being a HAM in comparison to CB? The ability to tinker.

As for being elite, I just hope no one thinks their kids are elitists for being a high school grad or passing their driving test. I earned my way into HAM radio just like anyone who has the desire can do. I studied, watched other HAMs and just had a basic interest in it.

I'm not here to sell it. I'm just here to enjoy helping people who want to do it be successful at it.
Well said Nathanial! In all things, tools are only as good as the quality by which they are made and the knowledge of how to use them!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Were there posts edited or removed or something? Talk about a class? This thread is hard to follow in the beginning.

I will never throw out my CB because (for now) most of the folks I talk to have a CB. If there was one radio that handled ham and CB, that would be uber cool. As it is, I have so much junk going on in my truck I'm about to run out of room! Handheld, maybe? That could be useful. Such a thing?

And before UB says what he is thinking, it is a small price to pay for being able to slink between the trees...

[jeez, just what I need, another expensive hobby...]
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Were there posts edited or removed or something? Talk about a class? This thread is hard to follow in the beginning.

I will never throw out my CB because (for now) most of the folks I talk to have a CB. If there was one radio that handled ham and CB, that would be uber cool. As it is, I have so much junk going on in my truck I'm about to run out of room! Handheld, maybe? That could be useful. Such a thing?

And before UB says what he is thinking, it is a small price to pay for being able to slink between the trees...

[jeez, just what I need, another expensive hobby...]
Wes, our awesome webmaster, quickly and expertly split the banter from the class thread to keep the class thread on track. Thanks WES!

....and yes Bill, we will always consider you a Slinky!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Wes, our awesome webmaster, quickly and expertly split the banter from the class thread to keep the class thread on track. Thanks WES!
Thanks.

I'll try and split the thread a little more gracefully next time.
TLCA#4180
Old 12-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
You are not the first person to wonder about a CB/ham. Never happen, CB and ham are covered under different parts of the FCC rules. So a manufacturer would have to test it to both requirements and it would be such a limited demand that I can't see it being economically viable. I doubt most hams would even consider it and anyone comparing a CB to a CB/ham isn't gonna want to pay $200 for it when a CB costs $40.

Oh yeah, hams have some of the nicest handheld radios. I have a VX-7R, what a little wonder. It's 5 watts (roughly the same as the clunky CBs we have), 4 band transmit, receives just about anything, the size of a thick cell phone, built to Mil-Spec 810E, submersible and even has an optional barometer for altitude. Come to the ham class, see what radios that kept evolving look like!
I looked up your setup and thats pretty cool! How about a thread in members only section for showing off what everyone has as far as radios and installs go so all can see what the "extreme dark side" of wheeling communications has to offer....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior