Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I looked up your setup and thats pretty cool! How about a thread in members only section for showing off what everyone has as far as radios and installs go so all can see what the "extreme dark side" of wheeling communications has to offer....
Hey we did that.. perhaps you were still river rafting in Egypt at the time, so you didn't see it?

look here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=3129

and here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...install&page=3

and here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...hlight=install for starters..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Hey we did that.. perhaps you were still river rafting in Egypt at the time, so you didn't see it?

look here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=3129

and here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...install&page=3

and here http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...hlight=install for starters..

Sorry....all this geeky ham stuff is messing with my abilities to hit the search button......
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

One of the reviews pointed out the advantages of the Kenwood over it. Oh dear, more stuff to know.

Would a handheld really be sufficient? Is that all I would need? No external antennae?
[be kind to a n00b here, or I'll just go back to my CB]
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
One of the reviews pointed out the advantages of the Kenwood over it. Oh dear, more stuff to know.

Would a handheld really be sufficient? Is that all I would need? No external antennae?
[be kind to a n00b here, or I'll just go back to my CB]
Your polished slinky will need a black slinky to play well with the others!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Name:  stoned_kitty.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  56.8 KB
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun member

I'm pretty sure you can use just a handheld and get decent close-range performance, but you'll need an antenna to get some of the longer-range stuff. Plus to have consistent wattage you'll need to be powered into your truck's electrical system, which a handheld isn't necessarily.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I'm pretty sure you can use just a handheld and get decent close-range performance, but you'll need an antenna to get some of the longer-range stuff. Plus to have consistent wattage you'll need to be powered into your truck's electrical system, which a handheld isn't necessarily.
hey Radar, not quite correct. Handhelds do not have the power as a mobile unit. They can do well with a good antenna, but not as good.

My mobile unit will do 50 watts i believe and I think the handhelds are limited to 5Watts.

Groucho or someone else will correct me if I am wrong.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Rising Sun member

I think we're saying the same thing. I was just trying to keep it less geeky because Bill was confused and now I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
hey Radar, not quite correct. Handhelds do not have the power as a mobile unit. They can do well with a good antenna, but not as good.

My mobile unit will do 50 watts i believe and I think the handhelds are limited to 5Watts.

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I'm sure you know Bill, there's 3 beefy captured nuts that hold the rear view mirror on, WAY overkill. If you mount a plate there, your radio can hang from the ceiling.
No, in fact I *didn't* know that was a good mount. Very slick. Did you just snake your power back to the dome light and down to the source? What about the antenna lead (which coax?)?

Gotta keep an install tight and clean. Wouldn't want to impact the Chili's mall rating.

I thought about an HT (he begins the slippery slide down the feared geek slope) because it might make a good emergency comm device while hunting etc, no?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
But it's all about the antenna. A good antenna with 5W will be much better than higher power with a poor antenna choice. There is whole subsection of hams who do everything at 5W, which is called operating 'QRP'. They are able to talk worldwide (without IRLP even) by using a good antenna (which is crucial for receiving signals, too).
As Bruce Miller said in the first HAM class, "Life's too short for QRP." This coming from the guy who just got done talking about using the converted CB rig running 10 Meters at 5 watts talking to Japan from the Cayman Islands.

Dave, who by the way I have never had the 'in person' pleasure of meeting, sums up one of the key points of the HAM class: The most important thing about radio transmissions is getting the signal into the air. In a sense, an antenna acts as a “transducer” to couple electromagnetic energy from the transmission line to radiation in space, and vice versa. The more effecient this is done, the better(and further ranging) the setup is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I think we're saying the same thing. I was just trying to keep it less geeky because Bill was confused and now I am
HT's are great. They do need to be charged after an hour or two of constant transmit, like Dave says, so multiple batteries are a must for the heavy talker. HT's are perfect for anything that takes you out of your vehicle. Rubber Ducky antennas are not that great with limited line-of-sight, but still good. Telescoping antennas work the best, but are cumbersome if using while walking. HT's also have a meter to monitor battery life, as well as adjustable power output, some down to 1/2 a watt. This allows for extended use. Basically, they are worlds apart from the walkie-talkies we got as kids in the 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post

Nice job, grasshopper! HTs usually don't come with more than 5 watts, but there are external amplifiers that can be added for maximum power.