Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Rising Sun member

Default What else do I need...

To change out my oil pan? New gasket? From dealer? Anything else to check? Don't want to make this a big project, just want to stop THAT particular leak! Maybe I'll look into my t-case leak while I'm laying under there, maybe take the parking brake off and see what's going on. Any thoughts?

Hopefully it'll warm up long enough for me to not freeze my butt off out there...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Just be forewarned it may not stop it. The oil pan and cork gaskets are a PITA. instead of the cork you might to with the FIPG.

Wes
TLCA#4180
Old 12-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl
Just be forewarned it may not stop it. The oil pan and cork gaskets are a PITA. instead of the cork you might to with the FIPG.

Wes
Fipg works good. It's what is used on the Lexus oil pans. Just might want to have some glove Handy when laying the bead/installing. ONce it's on your hands, it will not leave . Some kind of Scraper is handy to remove the pan, sometimes the pan likes to not come off.... Good luck

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 12-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Are you changing pans? or just the gasket? plan on using a scraper on the engine, wire wheel on the pan if you're using it again.. ok just read your post again, yes get a new gasket from Toyota, the one-piece deal where the hoops are attached to the sides.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Rising Sun member

I just don't want to be special and have the dimple under my drain plug gasket anymore . What's FIPG?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali
I just don't want to be special and have the dimple under my drain plug gasket anymore . What's FIPG?
I would tell you but can not remember. And to think, I use it at least once a week at work

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 12-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

FIPG - formed in place gasket - ie goo. Silicone sealant can work but can also cause problems if you over do it. You don't want any blobs to squeeze out of the joint and fall into the sump. Personally, I'd go with the OE cork gasket. The FSM for the 2F rec's a bit of goo in the corners where the bearing cap meets the pan. Make sure the sealing surface on the block is clean and the surface on the pan is both clean and flat. Its pretty easy to distort the pan from over tightening the bolts. A soft mallet and a straight edge can flatten the surface easily.

Also - some newer pans are designed to use goo or a molded rubber gasket rather than cork. Cork seems kind of primitve, but it can work quite well.

Last edited by 60wag; 12-11-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

3M weather strip adheasive works great to hold the gasket to the new pan. I would not use Fipg on the pan to cork surface it is too slippery and will allow the gasket not to align properly. You will need a hand with the 3M or be good with the process so the cork aligns up properly. I then only use FIPG or similar in the corners of the cork where the block meets the arch.
In removing the pan, if it has been on a long time a propane torch works great to heat the pan and release the cork. I do not know if just using FIPG or slimilar is a great idea in place of the cork. Also when bolting the pan up, do not over tighten the bolts. It is best to stick to the torque setting or be gentle until you heat up the pan after the oil is installed and the engine is warm. the go again adn tighten the bolts and do not squish the gasket (can cut it by tighting it too much). good luck younster. later robbie
Old 12-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
good luck younster.
Bwahahahaha!!! (homer voice) that's funny cause it's true..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Can't believe you guys diss FIPG that easily. On my 3B for the bj70 toyota doesn't even list a cork gasket any more. It's all FIPG. I *could* use a bj42 3b gasket but it goes to show if toyota is fine with it I cerntainly would too. Most of the 3B guys all use FIPG now. I replaced my F cork gasket a couple weeks ago and Like robbie said the corners are a PITA and need sealant. I can't tell if mine is still leaking or not from the pan as it's probably leaking from the side cover. In my experience if I had to do it ovr again I'd use FIPG vs the cork esp on a pan or side cover where they warp of distort easily.
TLCA#4180