Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default The Cool Hobbies Thread

So, at the suggestion of UB, I thought I would start the cool hobbies thread (not 4x4 or kid related ).

I would post some pix, but they are buried in a box somewhere. I'll have to dig out at LEAST one of the locomotives!
Quote:
I've got a whole Denver & Salt Lake Railroad, brass locomotives weathered just like photos I have, and a couple locos I scratchbuilt, a kitbashed caboose I'm proud of, 30 authentic D&SL boxcars and others (including vintage beer cars, of course) and plans to build David Moffat's personal railcar, and Yankee Doodle Lake. Yeah, the whole lake, Boulder Wagon Road and everything.

Except it is all in boxes. And Yankee Doodle Lake is currently occupied with boxes and boxes of stuff I swear would be better off in the dumpster.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Here's some pix of the real deal. I want to build locomotive 300 to pull passenger cars. It is not available as a kit, but I am a pretty good kitbasher and built locomotive 20, so how hard could it be?

This is a couple of the Moffat Mallets (2-6-6-0 articulated, 200 ton) pushing a snowblower that would make your Craftsman blush, approaching Needle's Eye Tunnel. Steep! I want to at least model part of this:

This is one of the locomotives I have. She never went over Hell Hill, but is a decent running brass loco that I have digital control and sound running in:

This is my favorite, I have two modeled after 1930s trim (headlight, etc.). This is the Mallet. Mallets have one boiler and two engines, the front one articulated. This means it swung left and right to allow tighter-than-standard curves, while having 12 driving wheels for traction up to 4% grades (a lot). She looks really cool 'crossed up' coming out of a tunnel around a curve, and the external valve gear and digital sound really add to the experience. Mine are heavily weathered to reflect the lack of maintenance in the late 20s through the 30s:
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Light Rail goes right past Moffat Station, which still stands. David Moffat was 'frozen out' of access to Union Station, so he built his own station and had buggy service to and from Union Station. Antitrust laws were not what they are today.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 12-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Here is the aforementioned rotary snowplow.
Quote:
Side view of rotary snow plow at Jenny Lake, Moffat Road, Denver and Salt Lake Railroad, Gilpin County Colorado; standard gauge, two engines push plow with steam generated rotary wheel.

Jenny Lake, above Yankee Doodle Lake, was almost never photographed with much snowpack. I took an Aussie railfan up there, and he commented on this. Just then, the reason became apparent; a July corn snow storm blew over the divide and in the bluster he just stood there, amazed, wide eyed, saying "CRIKEY!".

The trees are one sided along that section of railbed.

You can sometimes observe an operating rotary snowplow on the Cumbres & Toltec narrow gauge. Videos are available. VERY impressive. The onboard steam engine was not used to propel the plow, but to rotate the blades. It was pushed by usually two of the Mallets over Hell Hill, with two plows operating in winter, passing each other at the top, to keep the route clear as much as possible.

Those of you who have tried to wheel the area in winter have an idea just what an undertaking that might have been like. Next time we are up there, I will point out the wyes where they turned the plows if you like. You can still find spilled coal from the coal bins.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 12-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'd like to model the Corona snowshed too (at the summit of Rollins Pass). Maybe do a split view, where you can look inside. The entire town was within the snowshed, and winter photos show only the smokestacks sticking out of the yards-deep snow.

All these photos and more can be ordered from the Western History/Genealogy Department, Denver Public Library, 10 W. 14th Avenue Parkway, Denver, Colorado 80204.

These and more may be viewed here:
Denver Public Library History of the American West, 1860-1920
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 12-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

We took the family to see Thomas the tank engine in Golden this fall. Cool stuff. But looking at all the old guys standing around in their engineer outfits, I kept thinking to my self," I may be a litttle too much into Toyota's, but at least I'm not into trains. Sorry,Bill
Old 12-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
...But looking at all the old guys standing around in their engineer outfits, I kept thinking to my self," I may be a litttle too much into Toyota's, but at least I'm not into trains. Sorry,Bill
Not my flavor either. UMMM.... Not yet, anyway.

There's an artist and photographer named Rand Hood who applies his art to scale models. It's as if you are transported back to Colorado in the Moffat Road days. He is my inspiration for modeling that railroad. His scale model photos look very much like the old ones above, strikingly so in every detail. I ain't that good.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Wincher

Cool info, Bill. I enjoyed the historical aspect.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

One of my uncles had a locomotive that I want to get my hands on. Its mostly brass and weighs at least a couple hundred pounds - its a live steam model that you can sit on while you shovel coal into the firebox witha miniature shovel. The hard part is coming up with some tracks to run it on.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Trail Ready

I am just getting in the smaller gauge but i have alway been into lgbs which i have