Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Not a train hobbyist

But I'm a musician. Guitarist. Been playing for about 14 years now. Acoustic/electric kinda played it all. I've been in some alternative bands, cover bands, originals, country, blues.

I'm really a blues guy at heart, very into SRV and Jimi. My daughters both ave their middle names after them, (Ray and Hendrix) Big Head Todd is on of my favorite bands as well.

I play every night, whether I just pick it up for 3-4 minutes for a song or hours of noodling around. I have a slightly modded US fender strat and a Tacoma acoustic, cheapie no name acoustic that I use for alternate tunings and a few amps. I sold all of my high dollar guitar amps (cheapest was $2k) as I'm not playing with any bands so I couldn't justify keeping them.

I got started at the end of highschool. I'm still bitter that my parents never let me get piano lessons and let my sister do them...she quit after a year.
We wanted to form a band at the end of highschool (this is walden by the way lol) so we had a drummer and bass. So I went and sold some x-mas presents to a pawnshop for a POS guitar and I learned...nothing LOL...went to college, and had all the time in the world and learned from a kid that was very good. I can't read music...and still can't so it's all by ear for me which has been very easy for me. Kept going until I played in bands, (what an awesome feeling) and played almost every weekend out of the year for a few years. My wife and I lived off of that money as my job didn't pay well and we just had our first child.

A few years ago I called the band thing quits to spend more time with the family and take a break. I do acoustic solo/duet shows a few times during the year but would like to pick up a lot more.

I just recently bought a Ukulele (pronounced ookoolaylay ) and I'm loving it. I'm incorporating it into my live acoustic gigs I play and some bars/restaurants around town. I bought a "tenor" size so it's a little bigger than what you think in terms of a Uke, but still smaller. It's a bit different from the guitar, chords are all different in terms of where you put your hands, but i can play a ton of songs, I just have to think a little

here's what it looks like:

We got an fullsize upright piano for the kids for x-mas, I'm learning that as well. I can actually play quite a few songs. I learned a few chords and since I already know the chords in a song, I just have to translate my brain to use the right chord on the piano.

I play the drums, full trap set...ok...I was pretty good but not having them doesn't help keep the chops up

I play guitar acoustic/electic, bass, piano, drums, ukulele. My kids have a great musical desire which is awesome. They each have guitars, a small kids drumset and piano and small ukulele to learn on. They know a few chords and do pretty good. I would honestly go insane if I couldn't grab an instrument for a few days..it really drives me nuts.

thats my little schpeil...btw I'm hirable for weddings/barmitzvahs, parties, you name it Cruise Moab Entertainment???

Pic of me at an old gig...
Attached Images

TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tools are always important in Hobbies. I have been able to slowley upgrade my tools so I know it's not the club holding me back
Attached Images

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 AM

2 hobbies for me.

Ask Shorty how this one shifts into 2nd!!!

I got a new camera to play with. Here is a headless Hawk.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

OK, keep this thread alive? What else is everyone into?
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Vintage Japanese Motorcycles are what draw funds and time away from the cruisers for me. I've been riding them and working on them since I was 16 and got my first MC license. Hard to believe it's been 18 years! I bought my wife a Honda CB350 about 5 years ago and she's been riding with me ever since. Hers is the nice Gold one in the pics below. I'm currently doing a full resto on a 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber. Here are some of my current bikes:

1974 CB550 K0

1973 CL450 K5 Scrambler

1972 CB350 K4's

1965 CB450 K0 Black Bomber (project)

Here are some progress shots:

I'm hoping to find some time this summer to finish it up now that I have some extra garage/shop space. It's always a conflict between projects and the 40 needs some work too.

It's fun to see everyone's projects.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

I did model trains about 15 yrs ago, I had quit my job and was fortunate enough to be able to take a few months before I took something else. I worked 6-8 hrs a day for over a month to build an HO set-up for my then 2yr old to watch. Filled a 8'x15' storage room..... mountains, valleys, tunnels trestles. I wish I had some pics .
I had to cut it apart when we moved and it just didn't fit in the new house ... one divorce later I'm not sure where all the parts went .

For the last couple years (other than wheeling/camping) I got into on-line computer gaming.
First person shooters, like Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty etc. I joined a "clan" and was the webmaster for our site. We actually played competitively in Battlefield 2 and placed in the top 5% (out of more then 500 teams) in a world tournament. That led me into building high-end computers and currently I have a water-cooled Intel-based rig with all kinda pretty lights and bling.

That is an old pic I had on my HD, now I have a better surround sound and dual DVDs

Last edited by Tch2fly; 01-28-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: posted pic
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

I've got a bunch of old Lionel O27 stuff, and a bunch of HO D&RGW stuff, which just sits in a box anymore. Here's the hobby that takes most of my time and money:

Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Nice bikes Martin! I'd love to see them in person sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
.... Here's the hobby that takes most of my time and money:

Nice! I miss racing but there is only so much money in the "toy" budget.
I pull this patch off my old racing jacket the other day since it doesn't seem to fit anymore (it must have shrunk ), the racing pic was from the 1982 Solo II Championship event in "Lil Red" my RX-2.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

jeez... not even a rx-3????? wow.

I did solo 1 with my brother when I first got my license in an alfa spider and solo 2 in my porsche... no where near champion level - I was a novice.

Let's see here.

I do art = www.forgingsdesign.com
vintage vespa's/lambretta's www.jksc.org or www.scoot.net for pics
vintage audio (nad, kef, sansui, altec, advent, marantz)
classic sportbikes (yamaha's - searching for a rd/rz350 or a srx600)
my son's sports are quite the addiction as well (volunteering and such) soccer and basketball
and last but certainly not least - flyfishing. anytime, anywhere. In fact, my thing this year will be trying to integrate nice canyon carving trips on the fzr with fishing trips!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

I teach scuba diving, recreational, technical and professional.
Attached Images