Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Jenny Creek GPS data

Adam Mehlberg sent me this message:
Quote:
I have been going over the MVUM data from the FS and I thing we need to get the Jenny Creek road data so that it can be put on the map correctly. Do you have any GPS data for the present Jenny Creek road? If so, I can convert it and get it sent to COHVCO and add it to my list of issues for the Boulder Ranger District to address as they work on the MVU map.

Adam.
This could be very important to make sure Jenny Creek and all of the spur routes connecting to it (which have been in existence over 30 years, in many cases over 130 years) get submitted prior to the MVUM. I cannot stress enough how important this is. If we do not have adequate data the BRD can simply gloss over the fact that the trails exist on the ground, and not map them as OHV routes. That means we lose them. The BRD is also getting pretty jumpy about keeping routes open that lead to private land, even though the implied easement has been in continuous use for over two or three decades.

For example, the very beginning of Jenny Creek is not on USFS property. It does not take a rocket scientist to do that math.

See what I mean?

Anybody have GPS data?
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Can we either start a GPS thread or something so that we can get a few people setup correctly to map our trails? I would do that in a heartbeat if I knew what I was doing...
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think I may still have it in my gps. I will try and remember to check.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
Can we either start a GPS thread or something so that we can get a few people setup correctly to map our trails? I would do that in a heartbeat if I knew what I was doing...
COHVCO has the TIGeR Team project here. It is a big and important undertaking.

But simply recording a track next time you are on a trail, then exporting it in .gpx format (generic), is plenty useful. As Adam mentions, he is assembling .gpx files to input to the MVUM process.

This one caught me flatfooted, as Jenny Creek is a well known and established trail. However, there are those little complications that can render a trail unusable! DOH!

Thanks, GM- I also want to make sure the spurs are picked up, including where the trail crosses private inholdings (mine claims, mostly).
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Cool...can we still get a thread going on what GPS to use, how to map the trail, how to export, etc. If we can all get on the same page easily, we could map a ton of trails the upcoming season.

T
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
TIGeR Team project
I chuckle whenever I hear this and think of Gene Kranz.

The term 'tiger team' has been used in aerospace for decades and one of the most famous aerospace tiger teams was the White Team on Apollo 13. These were the guys who famously came up with the way to fit a Command Module CO2 filter into a Lunar Module filter holder (literally fitting a square peg into a round hole) and kept the astronauts from passing out and dying. Gene Kranz was the flight director for the mission and led the White Team. He was Ed Harris in the movie, with the vest.

When a tiger team is assembled (we've had only one in the time I've been here), it's pretty serious. Naturally, we poke fun at the people who are on it by meowing whenever we see them... It is certainly very high visibility, as in Congressional people might notice your name, for good or bad.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
Cool...can we still get a thread going on what GPS to use, how to map the trail, how to export, etc. If we can all get on the same page easily, we could map a ton of trails the upcoming season.

T
Any Garmin GPS is good, I use a 60CSX. Most will export in .gpx format, so really, pick the one you like!
KDěRCH
Bio Page