Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm in

Definite on the window mod, probable on the temp gauge mod just 'cuz if there is time, and maybe I'll even bring my new speakers that have been sitting in the garage for like forever now. Maybe after watching and helping I can tackle the 's 80 later

EDIT: I know we haven't discussed dates yet but Feb 9th & 10th are out for me
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

I probably should come. Sounds like you 80's guys need some moderation
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I have all the OE parts for a dual battery mod I can bring over if someone was interested. I also have the wash bottle relocation kit from Christo.
Did you buy extras Mike? I plan to do the dual battery eventually but I've haven't procurred any of the parts yet. Not a priority on my list of to do's but if you have extra stuff I could buy then no reason not to get 'er done at least partway
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 01-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
You once threatened to make up temp gauge stickers....any hope?
I wonder...I have a Scanguage II. Might be possible to use it to determine the temps on the modded gauges? Although I have read that each one seems to come out just a little different. Not as fancy as the way RT on MUD figured it out though
TLCA #17037

:

Old 01-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Trail Ready

80 Guys, I have access to a Vinyl Cutter, What would be needed for the Temp Guage Stickers?? If someone designs something in Illustrator, i could have a bunch cut out!
Small Numbers can be hard to trim and install, but it may be better than, Hot/cold
Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Still trying to figure out if the temp gauge mod works on mini trucks (it would use the same values resistor values as a 91-92 FJ80, since the temp senders are the same on the 3F-E, 22R-E, 3VZ-FE).

But if you need extra tools, I have a Hakko 936 soldering station (I've got a few different sized tips good from ICs up to PL259 connectors), Goot CS-30 soldering iron with a regular 1.5mm tip, a big ol' roll of Kester '44' 63/37 in 0.025" diameter (I also have heavier gauge 60/40 and some 0.025" 62/36/2 silver solder if someone really wants it), a Panavise, a mini bench vise, bunch of electronics hand tools. Let me know if you want any of it for the assembly line. Years ago I went through soldering training at HP, but I'm worthless for anything smaller than about 1206 or 50 mil SOIC. I just let the techs downstairs do the 37 mil pitch and finer and the 0805, 0603 and 0402 junk.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Rising Sun Commander

All I was thinking of doing for stickers would be printing them onto clear sticker paper and cutting them out. Vinyl would be way better, but yes tough to cut. I will work on matching the font type and size with the rest of the dash numbers.. can someone feed me the numbers you'd like to have? you know, 160, 180, 220.. then we'll decide as a group where to stick 'em.

And I guess if anyone wants to do their recliner hinge mods on the same day, I would be willing to supervise that operation as well. All you need is your 2nd row seats, and the hinges from your third rows. I'm going to assume Crash has a drill press.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I wonder...I have a Scanguage II. Might be possible to use it to determine the temps on the modded gauges? Although I have read that each one seems to come out just a little different. Not as fancy as the way RT on MUD figured it out though

The temps do not have to be exact...it's only water temp! If your close then it's more than fine! 99.8% of the vehicles out there have temp gauges like ours that are basically an analog warning light! The trouble is if you get into exact placement of your temp stickers you will turn the project into an all day job then STILL have to wrestle the cluster back into the dash when your satisfied on the marks. RT has a pretty darn close approximation on the thread on Romers excellent 80 FAC!

The approximations are....

Full sweep peg to peg is 94°

Pegged hot 244°
Top of red is 227°
Bottom of red 217°
Center is approximately 189°
Cold line is 160°
Pegged cold 150°

I have checked mine with my infrared gun and it's very close to the same numbers!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
All I was thinking of doing for stickers would be printing them onto clear sticker paper and cutting them out. Vinyl would be way better, but yes tough to cut. I will work on matching the font type and size with the rest of the dash numbers.. can someone feed me the numbers you'd like to have? you know, 160, 180, 220.. then we'll decide as a group where to stick 'em.

And I guess if anyone wants to do their recliner hinge mods on the same day, I would be willing to supervise that operation as well. All you need is your 2nd row seats, and the hinges from your third rows. I'm going to assume Crash has a drill press.
Tim, your assumption is correct about the drill press and it is Slee Off Road approved - it was Christo's first shop press I believe! Dave, yes please come as an EE is always welcome at a soldering party and it would be a good chance to return any tools of mine you might still have.
Uncle Ben, I think this would be a good "Members Only" function. Might work as incentive for those fence sitters to join the club?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Dave, yes please come as an EE is always welcome at a soldering party and it would be a good chance to return any tools of mine you might still have.
I know of one that has been in my truck for at least the last 2 club meetings, but no Crash to receive them. :-P

Do I have any others besides the leak down?

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding