Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

The brake comments sound good to me but if you want more ideas..... Maybe you severely overpacked the bearing with grease. This makes the grease get "worked" much more than a properly filled bearing. When the grease exceeded its flow temp, most of it ran out of the bearing which explains why its not hot anymore.

Did you change the bearing races? Maybe one wasn't seated correctly and gave a false feeling of bearing preload. It got hot and managed to seat itself dropping the preload to nothing. I'd at least pull the freehub and see if the grease has been liquified.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Again, it makes a huge difference if we are dealing with stock 1967 drums or a FDB conversion. When the wheel bearings lose their preload, they behave entirely differently on drums versus disks.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Again, it makes a huge difference if we are dealing with stock 1967 drums or a FDB conversion. When the wheel bearings lose their preload, they behave entirely differently on drums versus disks.

It was a fully rebuilt front end, mini-truck knuckles, longfield 30 splines and an elocker conversion.

I drove the rig 500 miles on saturday and the hub stayed as cold as could be. I'm guessing it was a stuck caliper for the first test drive or maybe it was too much grease...
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride