Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Desmogged 2F

From my other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
...I've worked on 60s here and there over the years, and it never ceases to amaze me the miles of vacuum spaghetti those rigs have. I definitely would want a factory emissions manual to figure out what's safe to plug off and what is still needed. In particular, I would want to make sure the charcoal canister functions more or less properly....

Does anyone have a desmogged 2f, or have done it before? I will grab the emissions manual, and I have a 2f manual, but would be great if someone knew how much I could take off. After looking at Ige's 45 and 55 with a 2f, it looks like about everything can come off. Any experts out there want some beer and pizza?

Thanks.

Timm
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 01-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'd keep the HAC, the EGR and both of the spark advance circuits complete. Actually the HAI and the dizzy vent system and vapor recovery system are worth keeping. Hmm what's left? Aw, heck you might as well leave it all there Seriously, if you put some fresh tubing in there, its pretty reliable other than the frequent air pump implosions.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
Does anyone have a desmogged 2f, or have done it before? I will grab the emissions manual, and I have a 2f manual, but would be great if someone knew how much I could take off.
Everything is gone on mine. I plugged the holes the air rail went in to. Just passed CO emissions just fine (for a '69).

Old 01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I'd keep the HAC, the EGR and both of the spark advance circuits complete. Actually the HAI and the dizzy vent system and vapor recovery system are worth keeping. Hmm what's left? Aw, heck you might as well leave it all there Seriously, if you put some fresh tubing in there, its pretty reliable other than the frequent air pump implosions.
Problem is some pieces are missing, and I have no idea what is what. (As usual.)

T
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Older than 1975 does not require emissions equipment. If you bag it all you won't have to worry about it. You don't have to say anything about the vintage of the engine. It's a inline 6 cylinder, like they all had. My , FWIW.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun member

I was thinking of bagging my smog stuff, but now that my smog pump is gone and my air rail is plugged, I think I'm okay with the residual "smog" tubing - I do know some of it has a purpose. There's lots of good reading on MUD though; be prepared to spend a few hours.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, spent a couple hours on that last night. No closer to understanding what I need to do.

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I was thinking of bagging my smog stuff, but now that my smog pump is gone and my air rail is plugged, I think I'm okay with the residual "smog" tubing - I do know some of it has a purpose. There's lots of good reading on MUD though; be prepared to spend a few hours.
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

My 2F is desmogged like Chris'. Plugged air rail and everything except the charcoal canister removed.

If you can find a non-usa 2bbl carb and the vacuum advance distributor, it will be much easier to desmog. SOR sells them both but they are sort of pricey. Worth the $$ in my opinion. This is the setup I'm running along with a 6 into 1 header and MSD ignition. It passes smog no problem.

Your welcome to take a look at it any time.

'85 FJ60
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
The EGR serves no useful purpose at our elevation, and reduces performance, fuel economy and increases under-hood temperatures. I would definitely ditch it. Agree with HAC. My main advice to Timm when I was poking around that engine and rig last Saturday was to make sure that a charcoal canister can be employed. He doesn't have one, but has the later model fuel tank which is intended to be used with one.

If I had the factory emissions manual I am sure I could figure it out. I also know that Jim Chenoweth knows exactly the proper trick for "properly" desmogging a 60. Ironically, it does include recurving the centrifugal advance of the distributor to compensate for removing the EGR.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
My 2F is desmogged like Chris'. Plugged air rail and everything except the charcoal canister removed.

If you can find a non-usa 2bbl carb and the vacuum advance distributor, it will be much easier to desmog. SOR sells them both but they are sort of pricey. Worth the $$ in my opinion. This is the setup I'm running along with a 6 into 1 header and MSD ignition. It passes smog no problem.

Your welcome to take a look at it any time.
The FJ60 setup Timm's using already has a vacuum advance distributor. Dual vacuum advance in fact. The second advance is for the HAC.

The carb is dirty but appears perfectly serviceable. I wouldn't pop the $$$ for the non-USA version, but would instead plug off the unneeded ports and desmog using it.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/