Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
If I had the factory emissions manual I am sure I could figure it out. I also know that Jim Chenoweth knows exactly the proper trick for "properly" desmogging a 60. Ironically, it does include recurving the centrifugal advance of the distributor to compensate for removing the EGR.

That's why I'd leave the EGR. Without modifying the dizzy, you'll likely get some knocking if you have decent compression.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
That's why I'd leave the EGR. Without modifying the dizzy, you'll likely get some knocking if you have decent compression.
Let's see, change out a couple of weights and get better mileage, performance and lower under-hood temps. Or jury-rig the existing system (or find an FJ60 "computer") and refit a 1973 FJ40 with all the plumbing, harness wiring and $ensor$ to make it exactly the same as an FJ60. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions...

:-)

Thing is, Timm got most of the 2F stuff from an FJ60 engine, but virtually none of the chassis and body stuff. The emissions subsystems on a USA spec 60 are fairly complex, and interactive. I agree, that when everything is working properly, it works decent, albeit with a hit on mileage and performance. But I've seen so many poorly running 60s, plus so many improperly desmogged rigs (both 60s and 40s), I think it's worthwhile to simply desmog it correctly, which includes going to lighter weights in the distributor for less centrifugal advance at higher RPMs.

Even if you are passionate about making sure your ACTUAL emissions aren't harming the environment any more than the best case, I was schooled on EGRs by, of all people, the pHD director of the Colorado AIR program. When I imported my FJ45, I had to take it down to their main headquarters in Denver, rather than an Envirotest place, in order for them to test it with their fancy stuff. Yes, they put it on the treadmill down there, and hooked a bunch of pretty cool instrumentation up to it.

I wish I could remember the fellow's name off the top of my head (I know he signed off on my EPA waiver), but he gave me quite a lesson in what matters and what doesn't, especially in our locale. He took quite an interest in the truck, and eagerly took over the testing personally from his head tech. As he adjusted my carb (yeah, try to get Enviro-ripoff do that!), he explained that EGR is for lower elevations, and doesn't do squat for us up here.

The EGR is to reduce NxOx emissions, and they are formed from high combustion temperatures. By introducing spent exhaust gasses back into the mixture before the combustion chambers, the fuel/air mixture is diluted by the (essentially) inert exhaust, and it reduces the temperature of combustion by reducing the potential chemical exotherm. At our elevation, with the carb operating properly, the fuel is metered to a leaner mixture, and the total moles of fuel and air are reduced, basically achieving the same effect. The only time EGR would have any effect on NxOx emissions at our elevation would be when there is forced induction, such as turbo or super charging.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Is anyone worried about the drive-by emission testing for Denver that I read about? They claim this roadside real-time tailpipe screening deal will begin in Denver in Jan. 08.

I doubt desmogging an old 2F would really affect it's full-throttle emission output, but if this testing is going on, you can bet some old Land Cruiser will fail this test.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

From what I understand they will send you a notice that you are a high polluter and have to go in to get smog check. It's another good intentioned backassward Bureaucracy.

here is the jimc diagram. There are also some pretty detailed desmogs on mud if you search.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/smog/72706FJ60desmog.jpg
TLCA#4180
Old 01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
The FJ60 setup Timm's using already has a vacuum advance distributor. Dual vacuum advance in fact. The second advance is for the HAC.

The carb is dirty but appears perfectly serviceable. I wouldn't pop the $$$ for the non-USA version, but would instead plug off the unneeded ports and desmog using it.

Just wanted to give him another option rather than trying to make the complicated 60 system function. I like to keep it simple. It might cost a little more up front, but the ease of maintenance and dialing it in make the early 2bbl carb and distributor money well spent. just my opinion, that emissions stuff makes me crazy.

FJ60 carb spaghetti (from my first wack at emissions diagnostics on my 60):

FJ40 2bbl carb spaghetti (single vacuum line to the distributor):

'85 FJ60
Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Is anyone worried about the drive-by emission testing for Denver that I read about? They claim this roadside real-time tailpipe screening deal will begin in Denver in Jan. 08.

I doubt desmogging an old 2F would really affect it's full-throttle emission output, but if this testing is going on, you can bet some old Land Cruiser will fail this test.
Not worried - yet. They've been phasing in the system for a couple years now. They used to park a van on the on-ramp to 6th Ave at Kipling. I used to drive by it in my 71 before I freshened the rings and never got a letter or anything. That engine burned so much oil Kevin made me tail gun on Slaughterhouse Gulch one year. I explained that it wanted to be a diesel, but he still didn't want to be driving through all the blue smoke.

;-)
Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

Not worried, yet. They've actually been doing this for quite awhile now and I was lucky enough to hit a couple last year and apparently passed in the LX as my renewal states I've already passed the e-test
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
here is the jimc diagram. There are also some pretty detailed desmogs on mud if you search.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/smog/72706FJ60desmog.jpg
I clicked on that link and got this:

"Remote Linking Forbidden"

How interesting that tons of my stuff are remote linked from Mud, but it isn't permitted to do it the other way around. One of the things that used to tick me off was when a user followed a link on mud to my content on my site, the browser remained framed with mud! I think that's been corrected, but people didn't realize they had left mud and were actually on my site.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

I don't think you guys understand they are flipping what the vehilce does. Instead of driving by to get and e test. It will now only be there to catch gross polluters OVER the limit. Before you didn't care unless you needed it for an etest. I bet they probably saw a ton of gross polluters but couldn't do anything. It's just another strategy that IMHO won't do anything to curb the brown cloud.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I clicked on that link and got this:

"Remote Linking Forbidden"

How interesting that tons of my stuff are remote linked from Mud, but it isn't permitted to do it the other way around. One of the things that used to tick me off was when a user followed a link on mud to my content on my site, the browser remained framed with mud! I think that's been corrected, but people didn't realize they had left mud and were actually on my site.
wow that blows. I understand hotlinking and it sucking up the providers bandwith but it kills alot of what the internet (connecting people and things) is for IMHO.

anyway Timm if you go to mud and the techincal links It's under engine/fuel it's the old rich adams/ chenowith diagram.
TLCA#4180