Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default This is a hard one...

Our Sheltie, Anna MacKay, has renal failure, pancreatitis, can't keep anything down or in, and has extreme protein levels in her urine. And she is blind in her right eye, with marginal vision in her left eye, due to detached retinas from all this plus high blood pressure.

At some point you have to take responsibility for the quality of life of these creatures who feel us to be their pack. She has had 13 good years. Our boys have grown up with her.

The killer is, she is still perky and has that puppy face and heart. She follows us all around the house despite what must feel like massive crapola all through her body.

We have an appointment at 5PM with the vet.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Bill, I am so very sorry! As her friend you are doing the right thing as she doesn't deserve the painful outcome if you choose to let it ride. My heart goes out to you as I have had to make the same choice and do the same deed and it's truly heart wrenching! Good luck amigo and enjoy her today as despite her pain she will continue to do her best to please you! Reciprocate that favor by petting her to a peacefull sleep one last time!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

It's tough to have to make those decisions. I know what it's like. Pets are really a part of your family and they never complain. I'm sorry to hear about this, Bill.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Rising Sun member

Sorry to hear that Bill

We have had to put 3 labs and a sheltie down for similar reasons - knowing that to relieve the misery is really the best thing to do. It's really hard, 9 months ago we had to go through the same thing and it's still really hard to think about it. It sounds like she had a good life though, and that brings some comfort.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just sitting here thinking this reminds me about the times we've had a loved pet pass and it's making me sad. But I still grin thinking about the good years before that. I hope knowing that your family and little Anna MacKay will be in our thoughts helps a little.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've gone through this twice now and sympathize with you're dilemma. It doesn't get any easier but you'll know you've made the right choice.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bill, I know your pain. Raxchel came when we had to put Max down who was the best damn dog we ever had. Rachel was real close with Max. We had the Vet make a plaster impression of her paw and then we (Rachel and I) held Max while they gave her the shot.
We took the plaster imprint of her paw and Rachel made a nice frame with some pictures of Max and still has it on her wall 5 years later.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Indeed a tough one. My wife and I keep thinking the same thing is imminent for our Lab, but he's a stubborn old boy. I've gone through my mind what that day will actually be like (his last), and it's never good. My sympathies go out to you.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

this too shall pass
Old 01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Been there before and will be there again at some point. It's never an easy decision. My sympathies as well.
TLCA#4180