Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

FWIW, and not to contradict Slee who has done more diffs than most of us have even seen, but Brian at Front Range Offroad Fab has switched to "The Right Stuff" to counteract the effects of broken seals by bopping diffs on rocks.

I used Toyota Orange FIP, with a gasket (FIP both sides) on Justin's truck after orange FIP alone started to leak. No more problems.

I used The Right Stuff, with a gasket (FIP both sides) on the Chili rear after FIP alone started to leak, again, no more leak.

FWIW, Toyota Orange is all the front has, and has never leaked. Be sure your breathers are clear, this is important (for the pinion seal as well). You do have a tube taking the breather up above water level, RIGHT?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

I like the right stuff, it is a formulation of rubber, not a rtv type stuff. It is a little more flexiable. The toyota stuff is more of a special type of RTV and is not quite as flexiable. That said, I have only used the Right stuff for engine work. Used the red fipg material for the diffs in the past. One thing is that the Right Stuff is fairly expensive(the last time I bought the stuff any way). Any how using a gasket as well is the key with what ever you do. later Robbie
Old 01-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

When I regeared my 62 I learned alot about gear manufactures. Robbie did the work of course. Who else. But when I contacted local dealers they said all was out of stock. So I got on the phone and started to persue. I got ahold of the Moline gear manufacturer, hope I have there name right, and then the classes began. The off road dealer in Aurora off of 225 that Kevin knows is who got me to them. According to the factory Moline guy they are the ones who supply Precision. This guy knew exactly when new gear sets and how many were coming into the US and exactly how many were being allocated to Precision. I then got to a guy at the main Precision wharehouse, actually Reider Racing gears in Michigan. He actually said that they had my gear set but were committed to someone else who hadn't honored there committment. Money talks and I got my gear set. Otherwise I would have had to wait until Moline released them to Precision. A short version to the story but very interesting.
________
Herbal Vaporizer

Last edited by Cheeseman; 04-01-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

More pics...
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sweeeeeeeeeeet you won't regret 4.88s gears
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

robbie's right on about "right stuff" you can buy it in caulking tubes as well. Ford's black sealant is very similar, and similar in cost. Remember when using "right stuff" that it is a "soft cure" product, and you can over squish it at first.

oh- and this is important. acetone and 3m green pads are your friends

j