Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
74fj40's Avatar
74fj40 74fj40 is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 884
Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40
Default Registering a vehicle in another county

I've got a problem - I live in a covenant controlled community. I have two cars in my driveway that are un-licensed because they need work in order to pass emissions.
The covenant police are asking me to move the cars - NOW!
We own some property in Park County, where emissions tests are not required.
Does anyone know if it's possible to register a car in a county different than where you live?
__________________

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)


[/font]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2008, 10:03 AM
SteveH SteveH is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Colo Springs
Posts: 1,295
Default

Yes, but you need a mailing address in that county, so a PO box would be helpful. The county has to mail your renewal notice somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Chris's Avatar
Chris Chris is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Front Range
Posts: 970
Default

No problem for you Max, just use the cabin's address which is perfectly legal.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
74fj40's Avatar
74fj40 74fj40 is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 884
Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40
Default

Steve - got a street address with no mailbox.....the renewal notice won't matter that much, cause it'll be a collector plate and won't need to be renewed for 5 yrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, but you need a mailing address in that county, so a PO box would be helpful. The county has to mail your renewal notice somewhere.
Chris - even though my drivers license has my Doug Co address on it?
oh...and, there's no cabin yet...just a little camper...Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by red cruiser View Post
No problem for you Max, just use the cabin's address which is perfectly legal.
__________________

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)


[/font]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2008, 12:16 PM
corsair23's Avatar
corsair23 corsair23 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton
Posts: 8,698
Default

Rob,

Doiing this still won't necessarily appease the covenant police now that you are on their radar...

I imagine you were either unlucky in that they noticed the vehicles during a drive by OR more likely one of your neighbors complained. I haven't read the HOA covenants for awhile but just licensing the vehicles is only part of the solution. IIRC the covenants require the vehicle to also be driveable as well.

So, even if you get the rigs licensed, if they still just sit in place the convenant police will probably continue to come after you - Your best bet is to put them in the garage if you can, or move them somewhere else for the time being until they are both driveable and licensed.

If it is a neighbor complaining you will continue to get visited and letters. I did continually even though my old 40 was licensed, legally parked, and driveable. But, one neighbor didn't like that it was parked in the street and rarely moved so they complained.

HOA can be a PITA for sure, but then again it does keep your neighbor from parking an RV in their front yard
__________________
Jeff Z. (the "not quite as skinny" one)
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2008, 12:24 PM
74fj40's Avatar
74fj40 74fj40 is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 884
Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40
Default

Hey Jeff - It is a neighbor and we know which one....and we are already dead center on the covenant police radar - have been for some time.
Luckily, one of the cars does run, just smokes a little, so we can move it periodically, and I think we can get away with it until we have a chance to pull the engine and fix it up.
The other is undergoing a re-ringing as we speak and should be finished in a couple of weeks, so we will soon be able to move that one around too.
Unfortunately, the garage is full until we finish a couple of projects that are taking up room there.
Can't fault the existence of the covenants - they were in place when we bought our house, so we agreed to abide by them, and they do serve a purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Rob,

Doiing this still won't necessarily appease the covenant police now that you are on their radar...

I imagine you were either unlucky in that they noticed the vehicles during a drive by OR more likely one of your neighbors complained. I haven't read the HOA covenants for awhile but just licensing the vehicles is only part of the solution. IIRC the covenants require the vehicle to also be driveable as well.

So, even if you get the rigs licensed, if they still just sit in place the convenant police will probably continue to come after you - Your best bet is to put them in the garage if you can, or move them somewhere else for the time being until they are both driveable and licensed.

If it is a neighbor complaining you will continue to get visited and letters. I did continually even though my old 40 was licensed, legally parked, and driveable. But, one neighbor didn't like that it was parked in the street and rarely moved so they complained.

HOA can be a PITA for sure, but then again it does keep your neighbor from parking an RV in their front yard
__________________

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)


[/font]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Chris's Avatar
Chris Chris is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Front Range
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74fj40 View Post
Chris - even though my drivers license has my Doug Co address on it?

oh...and, there's no cabin yet...just a little camper...Rob
Driver's license addresses don't have to show the current address. Mine has my old address and nobody cares. You are supposed to register the change and can do it on line. It doesn't show of your license though.

Camper/cabin, whose going to check? Get the PO Box and it's good.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Chris's Avatar
Chris Chris is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Front Range
Posts: 970
Default

HOA's are a nuisance but the real headache is from the HOA nazi's who enjoy making life difficult for others. You might want to use the tactic of someone we know (you do too) who has a 60's pickup with a built 390 and nitrous. His neighbors complained about his truck not running and sitting in his driveway. He proved it drove by running up and down his block at 5am before heading to work.



Maybe not 100% accurate but close...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
corsair23's Avatar
corsair23 corsair23 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton
Posts: 8,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74fj40 View Post
Hey Jeff - It is a neighbor and we know which one....and we are already dead center on the covenant police radar - have been for some time.
Luckily, one of the cars does run, just smokes a little, so we can move it periodically, and I think we can get away with it until we have a chance to pull the engine and fix it up.
The other is undergoing a re-ringing as we speak and should be finished in a couple of weeks, so we will soon be able to move that one around too.
Unfortunately, the garage is full until we finish a couple of projects that are taking up room there.
Can't fault the existence of the covenants - they were in place when we bought our house, so we agreed to abide by them, and they do serve a purpose.

Good luck with that then

It sounds like your neighbor and mine might be related - My neighbor came from somewhere that NO vehicles were allowed to park on the street or in the driveway and figured the same rules applied in the Ranch. I know it drives him NUTS when we park outside. Not much you can do about them though other than move or abide by the letter of the law so to speak. Get the one licensed and driveable and figure out something to do with the other one. I'd offer up a garage spot for you but as you've seen there is no way I can fit another vehicle in my garage right now.

If you want to bring one of the vehicles over and plop it in front of the house for a few days just to move 'em around a little let me know . It would be fun just to do it to annoy my neighbor for awhile
__________________
Jeff Z. (the "not quite as skinny" one)
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM
74fj40's Avatar
74fj40 74fj40 is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 884
Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40
Default

Thanks for the offer Jeff - you're right - i though my garage was full until I saw yours......

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Good luck with that then

It sounds like your neighbor and mine might be related - My neighbor came from somewhere that NO vehicles were allowed to park on the street or in the driveway and figured the same rules applied in the Ranch. I know it drives him NUTS when we park outside. Not much you can do about them though other than move or abide by the letter of the law so to speak. Get the one licensed and driveable and figure out something to do with the other one. I'd offer up a garage spot for you but as you've seen there is no way I can fit another vehicle in my garage right now.

If you want to bring one of the vehicles over and plop it in front of the house for a few days just to move 'em around a little let me know . It would be fun just to do it to annoy my neighbor for awhile
Chris - you're right - give some people a little power.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by red cruiser View Post
HOA's are a nuisance but the real headache is from the HOA nazi's who enjoy making life difficult for others. You might want to use the tactic of someone we know (you do too) who has a 60's pickup with a built 390 and nitrous. His neighbors complained about his truck not running and sitting in his driveway. He proved it drove by running up and down his block at 5am before heading to work.



Maybe not 100% accurate but close...
__________________

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)


[/font]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.