Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Is a 9.5XP winch enough for an 80?

Is a 9.5XP winch enough for an 80? I think it has the 5/16 cable rather than the 3/8 cable found on the M12000. I wish they had the 150ft cable capacity of the 8274 but that's not going to happen. Does the synthetic rope take up less space than the wire rope?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I talked to Christo about this and the largest winch I can install in the ShortBus bumper is the 9.5. Use a snatchblock if needed and you should be fine.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
Is a 9.5XP winch enough for an 80? I think it has the 5/16 cable rather than the 3/8 cable found on the M12000. I wish they had the 150ft cable capacity of the 8274 but that's not going to happen. Does the synthetic rope take up less space than the wire rope?
Yes and no, depends if you are buried to the frame rails like Jeff in the snow or just pulling up the hill. Using a snatch block will help of course but remember the winch is only pulling the 9000 pounds on the last level of cable. The less line is out the less weight the winch can pull.

Synthetic line does take up less room, not sure how much less that is something for the pros to answer.

If you read that recovery post in CA you'll see that no winch is big enough to pull you out when you are buried in deep mud, snow or muck. Again within reason of course.

Since you can not get a larger winch in your rig the answer is moot anyway but still good to know. Go with the 9.5 Ti and synthetic line, as much as you can spool and don't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I wouldn't go any smaller! I think a 9.5 does use a 3/8" rope! Syth is the same size as steel (although it will compress some) and like steel you can add another 20 feet or so but is isn't a good idea because chances of it pulling into the spool are higher with more wraps and you are also decreasing your mechanical advantage. Best solution with large winches with decreased rope capacity is carry a "winch extension" in your goodie bag. I broke an extension on the St. Fuaw! run! It was rated at 20k and pulled apart in the middle! (NOTE: The energy stored in the extension made the winch rope retract all the way to in front of the truck!) I am going to replace it with 50' of 7/16" Amsteel Blue with large thimbles at each end. It will take up less space in my goodie bag than the strap, be stronger than the rope on my winch and still weigh around 4#'s and like the winch rope will not store up as much kinetic energy!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

I ran an 8k, and I can say that it was more than adequate in the situations I used it for. Snatch blocks rule though, and I have used two before in order to get more line out.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Yes and no, depends if you are buried to the frame rails like Jeff in the snow or just pulling up the hill. Using a snatch block will help of course but remember the winch is only pulling the 9000 pounds on the last level of cable. The less line is out the less weight the winch can pull.
Word!!

What does Bill have on the Red Chili? If I'm not mistaken it is a 9000# winch maybe even an XD9000 like I have and it pulled me out of the goo after we strapped his rear end to a tree. If you don't go snow bashing or mud bogging then it should be adequate. But, it isn't always yourself you're winching though
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I wouldn't go any smaller! I think a 9.5 does use a 3/8" rope! Syth is the same size as steel (although it will compress some) and like steel you can add another 20 feet or so but is isn't a good idea because chances of it pulling into the spool are higher with more wraps and you are also decreasing your mechanical advantage. Best solution with large winches with decreased rope capacity is carry a "winch extension" in your goodie bag. I broke an extension on the St. Fuaw! run! It was rated at 20k and pulled apart in the middle! (NOTE: The energy stored in the extension made the winch rope retract all the way to in front of the truck!) I am going to replace it with 50' of 7/16" Amsteel Blue with large thimbles at each end. It will take up less space in my goodie bag than the strap, be stronger than the rope on my winch and still weigh around 4#'s and like the winch rope will not store up as much kinetic energy!
I agree I also picked up 50' of winch rope as an extension after St. Fuaw.I was surprised to see the synthetic rope recoiling towards the truck!
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

I run a 9000, and I would regard it as adequate for the Chili. I would want something bigger for an 80, but that is just me. Maybe. I have met others who feel similarly.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

I currently have a 9.5 XP and so far have found it to do everything I need. As mentioned before(above) you will want a winch extension and 1-2 pulley blocks as these can help a lot in the right problem. When I though about this my truck is a little over the 1.5 X rule, but with a 6hp motor and about the same gearing as other winches, I felt it was underrated.
I had a chance to use it at the walden photo shoot on my truck and it never stalled pulling me through snow at the height of the hood.
They say you should never go more lenght then what the winch came with, So if you have 100 ft you should not go over on the spool. That said, I think most winch drums could handle a bit more length. but you would have to watch out when you winch the line in as UB suggest.
With 1 snatch block set up right, you just increased mechanical advantage to almost 2 to 1, with 2 snatches you increased MA almost 3 to 1. I say almost as there is not free ride and parisitic loss happens in any system(friction, drag, etc). So the winch when set up is pulling a load that seem like it is less.
Hope this helps, Robbie
Old 01-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think the biggest error that is made in recovery regarding winches is rope/wire length. Most people go way to big on the spool. If you research winch pull ratings, you will notice that the pulling power goes down exponentially with the more wire is wound around the drum. Think of it like gearing on a bicycle or motorcycle. a long winch rope length, meaning spooling out as much as you can will make your pull a better one.