Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Why not the Warn 9.0Rc that only weighs 50 lbs and has 50 ft on the drum (you'll always have near max advantage), with the extension synthetic/snatch blocks as needed?

Is the 80 too much for this "little" winch?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I will bring up another important factor......winch rope diameter and tensile strength. If you are running a 8k winch on a heavy vehicle you are fine 98% of the time. Unfortunately that remaining 2% is just as important if not more important! When you double a winch line it is correct that you effectively double the load capacity. You also now have two ropes supporting the load thus cutting the load in half for each line EXCEPT the point that is going around the pulley at the anchor point, that is still a single line!!!!!!!!!! An 8k winch with it's 5/16" line is not heavy enough when you get to that extreme situation! I first had the brilliant idea on my 80 that since I had a 12.5k winch I could load it with 150' of 5/16" rope instead of the 100' of 3/8" it came with as single line is probably all I will ever need. It was a great plan and worked flawlessly for all but one incident. The day I assessed the large rock that had blocked Rollins Pass road. I rescued a couple guys in a J*p that had crossed this monster drift once but could not get back across when they tried to leave. I easily winched them through the drift....piece of cake! There was no point in my going any further as I was by myself and the only other folks up there couldn't help me get unstuck if there was 4 of them! I turned around and found the guys stuck in the first drift we had to cross. I rigged the pulley and winched them through from behind. When I crossed I hit the holes they had dug and I too was buried to the rails in heavy wet and crusted snow. The cable worked for my recovery for about 3 feet until the snow load from me plowing snow with the front diff and exceeded the load capacity of the line...."snap!" No problem as I carry a rod and thimble so I just re-rigged the line shorter...."snap!" Ended up digging for hours to clear the drift ahead of me so I could pull my self free. It's true that most winches are under-rated in the pulling power but the ratings are also based on other factors such as drum brake holding strength and of course effective rope capacity. Just in case your wondering....5/16" Amsteel Blue is rated at 19k tensile strength when new! If I would have been able to dig myself out I would have needed something quite large to get me out! When I broke the extension strap at the St. Fuaw run that 2" minimal stretch strap was rated at 20k! BTW it was the strap that failed and not the stitching! Food for thought! I'll stand by my recommendation that for an 80 you need at LEAST a 9k rated winch!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

I find my Warn 8000M barely enough for my 4200# truck. I haven't stalled it pulling only my truck, but close. close.

With 2 stuck trucks (mine and the one I was pulling) I have to double it.
The trick is that I often find me using my winch not when I'm stuck, but someone else is. That is when I see the need to carry more power.

UB: Let's get talking to Scott@rockstomper about winch extension group buys.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
I find my Warn 8000M barely enough for my 4200# truck. I haven't stalled it pulling only my truck, but close. close.

With 2 stuck trucks (mine and the one I was pulling) I have to double it.
The trick is that I often find me using my winch not when I'm stuck, but someone else is. That is when I see the need to carry more power.

UB: Let's get talking to Scott@rockstomper about winch extension group buys.
As I mentioned in my previous short story I have a rod and thimble so we can probably get a good break if we bout everything in bulk and made up our own!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Rising Sun Commander

winch story: Red Chili & I were up at Yankee Doodle lake w/ BRD Brian, scoping out the post & cable project. Some guy ran down and said there's a full size Dodge that tried to drive down & around the snow drift, just past the parking area where the road currently stops and you can hike up to the collapsed tunnel. We went up there and saw that he was fairly buried in the mud, and if we drove down to him with a strap we would have likely been in the same boat, not to mention also driving off trail. We ended up strapping Red Chili to the back of my 80 (so we could anchor together), then from up at the parking area combined all 150' of my winch cable, plus 4 straps end to end, down to the Dodge... it was easily 200' away. Had I not had the M12k maybe it wouldn't have been so easy to yank this guy out, hard to say, but we were glad I had it that day. And no opportunity for a double line, without additional lines and/or 7 or 8 more straps.

But you'll probably be fine with the 9.5, but there may be a case where you wish you had a bigger one, and hopefully then someone else will be with you and the two of you will come up with something. I think your bumper decision is more important than your winch decision though. If you get an ARB then go for the M12 just because you can, but if you get the Slee well then your winch decision is obvious.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sharpie marker cap with clip removed works GREAT as an impromptu fid.

For a fid, (on 3/8ths amsteel) I found that the cap from a regular old FINE sharpie marker, with the pocket clip broken off, works great. Use a bike spoke, screwdriver, whatever to jam it farther up the core.

I shoved the running end of the rope into the cap, then back into the center core, then used a screwdriver to jam it farther, popped the cap out the side, removed cap out one end and screwdriver out the other and pulled tight. Eye splice done!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

My Amsteel is getting a bit frayed. Still serviceable, but... hey, a group Amsteel buy sounds like a capital idea! The old line would make a very serviceable extension.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have a M8000 on the Shortbus and I have never stalled it out. I have broken a steel wire cable before, but never stalled it. I have a 9.5 XP on the VlakVark and never stalled that one out as well. For the stuff we do, they work, now if you were from the south and do a lot of mudding, I would say it might not cut it.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Do you guys recommend the synthetic line over wire?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

I say use the wire that came with the winch until it is trashed, then change over.