Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Dual Transfer Case and front locker

In preparation for Moab and Rubithon, I am thinking about possibly adding a Marlin Crawler ToyBox to my FJ40. Anyone done this mod? Not sure exactly what's involved.

Currently I'm running a 2F with a 3speed trans and TC. I need to pull them out to fix a leaking rear main seal and I was thinking that while I have it out I would try adding the ToyBox. I know there are other Trans/TC combos that are better than what I have, but keeping the stock 3 speed TC will let me run my OEM PTO with some modification and if I keep the stock 3 speed I won't have to change out the bellhousing.

I've done some searching on MUD about this install and couldn't find much. It sounds like I would have to customize some sort of cross member/skid plate? New Drive shafts? another hole in the trans tunnel? Anything else?

Also want to add a front locker. I have an Aussie locker in the rear. Would adding another up front be a bad choice? I don't drive my 40 in the snow much and really only use the front on trail.

Any advice for these mods appreciated!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
In preparation for Moab and Rubithon, I am thinking about possibly adding a Marlin Crawler ToyBox to my FJ40. Anyone done this mod? Not sure exactly what's involved.

Currently I'm running a 2F with a 3speed trans and TC. I need to pull them out to fix a leaking rear main seal and I was thinking that while I have it out I would try adding the ToyBox. I know there are other Trans/TC combos that are better than what I have, but keeping the stock 3 speed TC will let me run my OEM PTO with some modification and if I keep the stock 3 speed I won't have to change out the bellhousing.

I've done some searching on MUD about this install and couldn't find much. It sounds like I would have to customize some sort of cross member/skid plate? New Drive shafts? another hole in the trans tunnel? Anything else?

Also want to add a front locker. I have an Aussie locker in the rear. Would adding another up front be a bad choice? I don't drive my 40 in the snow much and really only use the front on trail.

Any advice for these mods appreciated!
The Toy box is good but have you considered just running a Orion instead? Your currant configuration including PTO will be the same, you gain a cast steel case in place of the cast aluminum and your stock shifters will now let you have a 4:1 advantage! Cheaper in the long run as you don't need to alter anything!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
The Toy box is good but have you considered just running a Orion instead? Your currant configuration including PTO will be the same, you gain a cast steel case in place of the cast aluminum and your stock shifters will now let you have a 4:1 advantage! Cheaper in the long run as you don't need to alter anything!
Will the 3 speed TC PTO assembly bolt onto the orion case?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Will the 3 speed TC PTO assembly bolt onto the orion case?
The openings are the same as is the tranny output shaft....I don't know whay they wouldn't! Call AA and ask! If ya go that route ping me and I'll give you a possible vendor cantact # that could possibly make you (or your wallet) smile!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun member

It should, you put all your current gears into the Orion case, so as long as it has the cutout for it...you can always call AA and ask. The problem with the Toybox on 40s is that it adds 7" to your drivetrain, and our rear d-shafts are short enough already.

Hatfield has a writeup in TT about doing the Toybox in his piggy, I can scan it and send it to you. An autolocker in front only concerns me for driving in the snow with your hubs locked...if specifically for CM and Rubithon and other trails, probably not a bad choice. It's what Treeroot has been running.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
It should, you put all your current gears into the Orion case, so as long as it has the cutout for it...you can always call AA and ask. The problem with the Toybox on 40s is that it adds 7" to your drivetrain, and our rear d-shafts are short enough already.

Hatfield has a writeup in TT about doing the Toybox in his piggy, I can scan it and send it to you. An autolocker in front only concerns me for driving in the snow with your hubs locked...if specifically for CM and Rubithon and other trails, probably not a bad choice. It's what Treeroot has been running.
Orion does not use the all the same gears as the stock T-case or you would still have a 2.23 ratio! I avoided replying about the front auto locker question as the web wheelers will get all fired up (I know....I just opened the gate anyway...) As long as you have hi and low 2WD as an option an auto locker drives fine. Problems you will have are....if you don't have power steering it is a be-atch to turn a locked front end (any locked front end).....if you need all 4 to climb a muddy road you will probably not get out of the ruts unless you can disengage the front locker(or turn out one hub temporarily).....If you are under power on a slick street turning can be interesting UNLESS you back off the freaking throttle!....you really need to either Cryo your currant birfs or invest into some Longfields (cryoed )NOTE: stock will be fine IF you stay under 33" tires and are not an aggresive off-highway enthusiast! )
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

I am biased,

I have driven a truck with a lunchbox style locker in the front, such as the aussie. I found it extremely difficult to turn. It stayed locked anytime i was giving it power, and it was almost impossible. The guy had a twin stick set up, and that made things a little easier, but man, I personally wouldn't go that route.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

a toy box with your lift the ds will be short and steep angles. IMHO you would have to extend the wheelbase. I would look into the orion first too.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Good advice, looks like the Orion is a better choice. I found a writeup Poser did on MUD with pics. Looks like the PTO inspection cover is there and should accept the PTO drive:

The consensus sounds like a front locker will be a $problem$. I would probably need to upgrade my axles and steering...
Old 01-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I am biased,

I have driven a truck with a lunchbox style locker in the front, such as the aussie. I found it extremely difficult to turn. It stayed locked anytime i was giving it power, and it was almost impossible. The guy had a twin stick set up, and that made things a little easier, but man, I personally wouldn't go that route.
I have run dual Detroits in Wildrice for 25+ years (well there was LR's for several of those) and I would not run anything else in it! In hard core wheeling if it takes 4 wheels pulling to get you into someplace it will probably take 4 wheels pulling to get you out! Even though the masses are gonna chime in and say ARB's never fail , I have seen plenty of rigs on a strap because they no longer had 4 wheels pulling! On the street you just learn to deal with the quirks! I completely agree with Isaac that auto lockers in the front on the street are a PITA! If you have the money and it's a dual purpose or more street-than-trail truck, stay open or do a selectable in front! WR is 90/10 trail/street truck but it was 40/50 back several morphs ago. NOTE: I will also revise my above statement and say I will most likely be putting a ARB in the front of WR when done with this next morph so I can try to let the custom Longfields in the front have a fighting chance of survival with 40" near flat Iroks!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior