Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Just as an FYI. Kirin has a mutual distribution deal with Anheuser-Busch. That doesn't matter per say, but the Kirin we get here is brewed at the AB brewery in Van Nuys, CA and not in Japan. Last time I looked, I seem to remember the Asahi, Kiuchi and Sapporo beers were still imported from Japan. Although a good memory and beer are often mutually exclusive in precise operation for me. Supposedly our Kirin is very close to the JDM version of the beer, but it's been at least a decade since we got the real deal and I can't say I've ever had a true Japanese Kirin.
C'mon, Dave, surely you ran across state dependent learning in all that school of yours?

but I agree, if any group needs pure JDM beer it's us.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well, OK, they have Sapporo too...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Just order one from MOT if you need OEM
TLCA#4180
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Well, OK, they have Sapporo too...
It's tough having to make such difficult decisions, isn't it? Kirin or Sapporo. Yikes, the horror. What ever does one do, my oh my.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
but I agree, if any group needs pure JDM beer it's us.
That was my thinking. Glad you noticed the use of JDM talking about beer...

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

I too confess to being a beer snob...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

It was decided at dinner last night that the April dinner club will be at the Wynkoop Brewery downtown, so we can check out Perry's art show before it closes.
http://www.wynkoop.com/

What date should we do this? I'm thinking mid-month. We don't want to get too close to CM, and the art comes off the walls on 4/23.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
It was decided at dinner last night that the April dinner club will be at the Wynkoop Brewery downtown, so we can check out Perry's art show before it closes.
http://www.wynkoop.com/

What date should we do this? I'm thinking mid-month. We don't want to get too close to CM, and the art comes off the walls on 4/23.
I might suggest Friday 4/11 after about 7PM. My exam that day goes from 8AM to 5PM. Can be safely assumed I'll be happy not long after and peeling-an-Irishman-off-the-pub-floor lit not long after. I'll be at the National Western Complex, so it's on the way...

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have it now on a first hand knowledge that the American distributed Asahi Super Dry is brewed in Toronto, Ontario, Canada at the Molson Brewery. But rest assured, the bottle said it was brewed under the strict supervision of Asahi brewers. Sigh. Your man on the street will get to Sapporo ASAP to verify it's originating location.

Speaking of which, I was at the beer store yesterday (Libations at Parker and Arapahoe) and noticed they had a couple of bottles of beer from Aizu Wakamatsu. That's a brewery in Fukushima, about 150 km northeast of Tokyo. So in the interest of bringing this thread jack full circle, Fukushima has a Denso plant that makes A/C parts for Toyota... I had to look that up (I wondered where Fukushima was and just kept following Google links). But the Aizu Wakamatsu beer is the real deal at Libations. IIRC it was their Heukmi, which would be their kurogome beer (a black rice beer, no barley AFAIK). Not heard good things and so I passed on it until I could verify what it was (the label was mostly in Japanese). Speaking of Japanese beer labels, why do they often look like Hello Kitty characters?

BTW, the Aizu website:
http://www.aizubeer.jp/

Anyway, I was restocking a critically low European beer supply, so my quest was primarily German and English beers. Although I did find Baltika, which is a Russian brewery and had to pick up a couple of those (their #4 Original and #6 Porter). So it's European in the broadest sense. The kicker is that guess what beer Baltika brews in St. Petersburg and distributes throughout Russia? Asahi Super Dry. So this post is not just completely random thoughts, that was sort of a completion of a thought, right?

Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
...the Aizu Wakamatsu beer is the real deal at Libations. IIRC it was their Heukmi, which would be their kurogome beer (a black rice beer, no barley AFAIK). Not heard good things and so I passed on it until I could verify what it was (the label was mostly in Japanese).
In America, beer is made with rice when they don't want to spend the money on more expensive grains. For example, Busch beer is a rice beer, but Bud is made with a normal mix of grains. Hence the price difference. Neither is something that I drink on a regular basis anymore, but I supported them heartily in college.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
In America, beer is made with rice when they don't want to spend the money on more expensive grains. For example, Busch beer is a rice beer, but Bud is made with a normal mix of grains. Hence the price difference. Neither is something that I drink on a regular basis anymore, but I supported them heartily in college.
All beer has malt in it and there are very few true rice beers in the USA. Budweiser uses rice as an additive and Busch uses corn. Corn's use in Busch is primarily to make it cheaper and it has minimal effect on the character of the beer. These and similar beers are still based primarily, usually at least 75%, on barley malt but use other grains as a filler (the non-malt fermentable contents are called adjuncts in brewing) so that the relatively more expensive barley content can go down but you still get a sufficient source of starch. It's the starch that is the fermentable sugar the yeast consume.

Using rice, corn or other sources as a filler is generally just a way to make beer cheaper at the commercial level, but they can have specific uses. Oatmeal, millet, potatoes and rye for example are actually quite legitimate adjuncts, like used in an oatmeal stout, for example. Wheat and rice are also very often used in beers for reasons other than just because they are cheaper. Having a high wheat content beer, a Weibier or wheat beer, gives you a distinct beer. A Weibier is about 30% to 50% wheat in the grist bill and really aren't any cheaper to make than an all barley beer.

Rice is an odd one because it's usually cheaper than malt and that's often why the big brewers use it. But it also has the ability to lighten up a beer's body and that's partially why it's used in Bud. AB formulated Budweiser to be as non-offensive to as many people as possible and still be economical to make.

Japanese beers often use rice for the same reason, it's availability, and that's why their beers tend to be what's called dry. They have a very crisp bite and taste. Some speciality styles use lots of rice and are closer in truth to sake than beer. If the malt content grows small enough (some are below 25% malt) the Japanese actually have a proper name for it, happoshu. So I dunno if that Heukmi is a total rice nihonshu or if it has malt in it. Not being able to read Japanese, I couldn't figure it out from the label and the Aizu Wakamatsu website wasn't much help, either. I'd heard it was a 100% rice beer (i.e., almost like a low alcohol, carbonated sake), but the more I think about it I'd guess it's just a very low malt content beer. In any case, I've heard it was a pretty brutal beer and so I didn't want to risk $6 on a bomber before looking it up.

BTW, here's the AB fact sheets on their beers:
http://www.anheuser-busch.com/BeerVerified.html