Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Camper question...re-drilling gas orifice

Long story short... Bought a fancy Norcold N300R refrigerator from a guy off of CL only to find out that it doesn't work on propane above 5,500'. Norcold doesn't sell a "high altitude kit" and their customer service is seriously lacking!!! Their recommendation is to run the refrigerator on 110v a/c at elevations above 5,500'. Unfortunately, I live at 5,280' (Denver) and all my camping is up into the Rockies, the more remote the better and certainly without a/c. At any rate, I originally adjusted the gas psi higher then realized that I'm going the wrong direction... There's less O2 up here. Tried turning the gas back down but no bueno. My next step is to solder the orifice closed and re-drill a smaller opening. From internet searching it sounds like you need to drop 1 drill bit number for every 2000' of elevation gain. Norcold will not give up any info regarding BTUs or initial elevation setting but Im guessing they set it at 2,750; dead nutz in the middle of 0-5,500. Based on my shade tree knowledge, I'm thinking that ultimately I'll end up two, maybe 3, drill bit sizes less than where I'm at right now for 8,800'. Does this seem plausible?
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

BTW, I've cleaned the orifice, blown out the chimney flue, and even turned the frig upside down for 24hrs to remix the ammonia solution. The thing works great on a/c but will not even maintain a temperature on propane.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

I am sure they are talking about Numbered drill bits, not the generic SAE type of drill bits. I got a set when I needed to drill out some jets for the carb.
I have also played around with making the Natural gas BBQ into a LPG BBQ. If I remember right, I did go down 2 #drill sizes to get it to work close to right. I live at 7200 ft. I know it is not quite the same as staying with LPG and then going up, but with playing around with it, you should get it right with time.
I believe Norcold is the same these days as Weber, not wanting to help due to Libilty and fear of law suits. That is what I was told when I played around with my Weber. Good luck
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Who is this Powder Pig guy, never seen him in here before...
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com