Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Timber40

Default Insurance for Vintage Modified Vehicles

Getting close to having my 73 FJ40 restored.
When checking around with many of the Regular & vintage Insurance providers, they state (no off-roading). Since my 40 is modified w/ Chevy V8 etc.etc.; I've got "coin" in it that I'd like to protect. Anyone recommed an insurance provider that specializes in covering (vintage) offroaders and is reasonable?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default Allstate

I use Allstate. Don't know about the "no off-roading" clause -- never asked. However, Forest Service roads ARE roads. Just don't drive your Cruiser through a lake.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Timber40

Thanks Matt,
Restoration has been 2 +yrs in the make.
(met you once, my wife and I stop by to look at your Fasttrac Specialty Top)
Thanks,

yeah, I've been researching Vintage insurance providers as (mostly) they are quoting significantly better rates. I need to quote my own dollar amount for what the vehicle is worth, most regular insurance providers won't do.
I'm getting too much "coin" into this one....LOL!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber40
Thanks Matt,
Restoration has been 2 +yrs in the make.
(met you once, my wife and I stop by to look at your Fasttrac Specialty Top)
Yes, I remember you and your wife! Glad to hear that you're still around
and building your Cruiser. Let us know what you find out about insurance.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
yeah, I've been researching Vintage insurance providers as (mostly) they are quoting significantly better rates. I need to quote my own dollar amount for what the vehicle is worth, most regular insurance providers won't do.
I'm getting too much "coin" into this one....LOL!!!!
I hear ya. After Red Chili 1 had it's frame 'aligned' by a driver from an unnamed country, and the fight to get it covered, I vowed "no more".

Traveller's has a stated value policy and a vintage policy. The stated value has fewer limits (like mileage, and vintage classification, and usage like going to work and such) but requires supporting documentation of the customizations performed. That's the one I have, and I've been happy (VERY happy) with Traveller's in the past.

HRH Insurance is a local agent, 303-722-7776. Tell them Bill Morgan said to ask about their stated value policy for a custom vehicle.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default I use all state

They'll cover up to 8K for my 78 40. If I totaled it, I can rebuild for less than that. Mine is camoflauge green so maybe that's not enough coverage for you. With recipts they'll cover more. There are not "off road" restrictions. My buddy took his 94 tacoma swimming and they totaled it at $5000. Got an 'O2 and kept the 94 for $800. A new motor is currently being installed.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

I just went through this as well. I have been with farmers for years, and their claim service really pays off. With the changes in colorados insurance laws, (not true no fault any longer) and the fact that you still have the option to use your carrier in an accident where it is not your fault, I wouldn't mess with the stated value. The cost was not worth it in my case.

As for vintage, I have had those policies, and they are mainly designed for limited use vehicles, and comprehensive damage. They are affordable for motorcycles, and stock old vehicles, but that's about it. As for it being totalled in an accident, good luck. That really just comes from trying to replace something that there are no more of, not the policy.

My lesson I have learned is that pictures really are worth a thousand words. They have proved my case every time. Here's why. If you have pictures of the accessories on the vehicle, and it matches the pictures the adjuster takes, who can argue? I keep a photo album on my pc, and make sure that I have pictures of the vin included, showing the paint with the tag. Meaning not just a close up of the tag.