Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

The early rubicons had a low pressure air locker form a japanese company. robbie
Old 01-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag
From the press release:

I don't know much about dana axles but the 30/35s are considered crap are't they? The "heavy duty" option is 44s.

Also:

"The all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon model features an Off-Road Rock-Trac NV241 two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio, as well as electric front- and rear-axle lockers and 32-inch B.F. Goodrich Off-Road tires."

Were the earlier Rubicons electric or ARB lockers? The 4.0 tcase is nice.
That's correct, 30s and 35s break like toothpicks, which why I only even mentioned the 44s. Some say 44s are as strong as cruiser axles, but I've seen a number of them break where they neck down at the splines, only seen 2 Toy axles break: mine on my 7000 pound truck, and Cheeseman's from his runner.

I vaguely recall that the original Rubicon lockers were air operated, but were most definitely not ARB. Maybe they were electric, not sure. Maybe Dave can tell us tonight at the CM meeting. I believe the t-case was always 4:1. I believe the original Rubicons came with 31s, it may be they simply upped the rim size to 16.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

All the rubicons came with 16" rims and the air lockers. They were kind cheesey lockers, I remember my friends sometimes would never lock in. The crawling was nice on them.

I recall they are still 5 on 4.5" wheels...

that dana 30 is marginal at best and the D35c is a total pos...

they were using quasi dana 44's up front...the necked down and used D30 outers...dunno if the new one is the same.

I highly doubt they have upped their quality on these...if you put a bow on turd, it's still a turd.

I really hope toyota will step up with the FJCruiser and build the soft-top model and Moab editions. All of these will sell this year and most likely a waiting list for next year as well.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 01-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Wink Never broken a Jeep axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa
I've seen a number of them break where they neck down at the splines, only seen 2 Toy axles break: mine on my 7000 pound truck, and Cheeseman's from his runner.
I broke a rear axle at Moab last year, although I still suspect that the damage was done at Spring Creek in 2004.

I've never broken a Jeep axle.*

*also, I've never wheeled a Jeep.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Good point Matt, I had forgotten about yours. In any case, many people will argue that stock Toyota axles are as strong as or stronger than 44s, and I think everyone would agree that they are substantially stronger than 30s or 35s.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

AFAIK, Toy axles and 44s are about equivalent. Both really need to be beefed up for real wheelin'. But I definitely like these new features about the FJ Cruiser!!!
Quote:
•More Off-road Capability - Increased ground clearance, larger wheels and tires, enhanced Dana front and rear solid axles, available next-generation Command-Trac and Rock-Trac transfer cases, new electric axle lockers, and electronic disconnecting front sway bar
•More On-road Refinement - All-new 100 percent stiffer frame in bending, 2-inch longer wheelbase, 3.5-inch wider track, lower spring rates, advanced shock tuning, increased jounce and rebound travel
•More Interior Space and Comfort - 4.6 inches more hip and 5.1 inches more shoulder room combined with additional 2 inches in couple, 1 inch in rear-seat leg room and 2 inches behind rear seat
•More Open-air Options - Dozens of different door, top and windshield combinations; new three-piece modular hardtop and innovative Sunrider soft top
Oh... uh... guess that applies to the J**p.

Or... the Chili.

I wish Toyota would wake up.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

From the Detroit Auto show:
Attached Images

www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 01-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

The wheels look pretty cool. I wonder if the factory roof rack is going to have those cutouts for the aftermarket driving lights. It looks like another FJ in silver on the lower right. It also looks like ARB has their bull bar pretty much done. Any idea which winch that is (other than it's obviously not an 8274)?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Yeah, that ARB bumper looks sweet. I wonder how many of these we'll see at Cruise Moab 2007? I bet there will be at least a few. The fact that you can buy an FJ for ~$23K puts it in the same price rance as an 80 series was in just a few years ago.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, they got the price right at least. Wouldn't be a bad starting point for a buildup. Wish the top was removable.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.