Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #231  
Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,380
Default

KD0DHH, wanna try 20m tonight? How's about around 14.285MHz USB at 2100 MDT?
__________________
'91 Pickup

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Mendocino's Avatar
Mendocino Mendocino is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Side
Posts: 1,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
KD0DHH, wanna try 20m tonight? How's about around 14.285MHz USB at 2100 MDT?
I'd love to Dave but I don't have the tuner hooked up and I am watching the 24 finale with the

I need to send my face plate for service and will be on the air after that.

Thanks for thinking of me; I love the 857d set up.
__________________
03 UZJ100 (2.5" OME/Slee suspension), LEDs, cross drilled and slotted rotors by PowerStop, and some other goodies.
75 FJ40 with stuff; and now weighing in at 4370 lbs.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
I'd love to Dave but I don't have the tuner hooked up and I am watching the 24 finale with the

I need to send my face plate for service and will be on the air after that.

Thanks for thinking of me; I love the 857d set up.
No problem, next time! Maybe by next Monday I will be operating QRP from a random wire matched with an Elecraft T1 ATU that is currently but 6 bags of parts and a 20 page instruction booklet... I called you a few times before I figured out no one was listening. I did not have much luck making any contacts tonight, although there was a nice strong station from the coast of Alaska I was reading between a strong S9 up to 10 over that I wanted to work but he was busy with other QSOs.
__________________
'91 Pickup

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 05-25-2010, 07:32 AM
FJBRADY's Avatar
FJBRADY FJBRADY is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I will be operating QRP from a random wire matched with an Elecraft T1 ATU
Huh?????
__________________
Steve Brady
TLCA # 19524
KD0JVZ

______
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 AM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Huh?????
Do you really want an explanation?
__________________
'91 Pickup

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
FJBRADY's Avatar
FJBRADY FJBRADY is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 2,012
Default

Absolutely not and I believe I am not alone.
__________________
Steve Brady
TLCA # 19524
KD0JVZ

______
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Mendocino's Avatar
Mendocino Mendocino is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Side
Posts: 1,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
No problem, next time! Maybe by next Monday I will be operating QRP from a random wire matched with an Elecraft T1 ATU that is currently but 6 bags of parts and a 20 page instruction booklet... I called you a few times before I figured out no one was listening. I did not have much luck making any contacts tonight, although there was a nice strong station from the coast of Alaska I was reading between a strong S9 up to 10 over that I wanted to work but he was busy with other QSOs.
Sounds like fun. I will be in Moscow with access to an HF rig next Monday but that is too far for a contact.
__________________
03 UZJ100 (2.5" OME/Slee suspension), LEDs, cross drilled and slotted rotors by PowerStop, and some other goodies.
75 FJ40 with stuff; and now weighing in at 4370 lbs.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 AM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
Sounds like fun. I will be in Moscow with access to an HF rig next Monday but that is too far for a contact.
We could try something like 10m or 6m to see what happens, might get very, very lucky with auroral propagation. Having beams would be nice but all I have to work with are verticals at the moment other than a portable dipole for 10m. This is the time of year when weird ionospheric stuff happens, though.

http://hfradio.org/fot_2.html
http://www.spacew.com/www/fof2.html

So at 2100MDT, e.g. 0300GMT, looks like right now MUF changes between 8MHz to 13MHz at I guess sunrise in eastern Europe, so we could try 40m and 20m. If I'm not mistaken Moscow +3GMT, so our mid evening should be early morning for you there. Could also try IRLP if you have access to a node there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY
Absolutely not and I believe I am not alone.
That's too bad, it's interesting.
__________________
'91 Pickup

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Groucho's Avatar
Groucho Groucho is offline
Rising Sun Ham Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 1,648
Default

Most times when I would be driving to work on Saturday mornings I had a blast talking to that area. About 1200-1400GMT on 20M.

10M is dead, unless, like you say, you are very lucky. Check the beacons. If you can't hear them, then you might not even try.

40M might work, but it would be about 0000-0200GMT.
__________________
--Choose Wisely--
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Groucho's Avatar
Groucho Groucho is offline
Rising Sun Ham Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 1,648
Default

Go here and watch for any propogation:

DXSummit

If you notice, all of the 10M contacts are mostly CW.
__________________
--Choose Wisely--
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.