Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Definitely, I never thought the fellas using the repeater really seemed to be in the middle of anything. They were on simplex, back to the repeater, down on HF, off the air taking care of a cat. I don't feel bad for trying to use the repeater. Just pointing out that the Rising Sun Radio Hour is not an officially recognized net on the CRA and so we can't monopolize their repeater if two members are ragchewing. They have every right to say no and keep using it if they want and we just should ask and be courteous.

Sitting inside with an HT all the way across town, kind of unlikely that I was gonna hear Nathaniel and I was just too lazy to go outside and try in the truck. I could hear your half of the conversation and thought about timing it and seeing if you could hear me, but I just went to bed instead.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

I was a bit unsure of how best to proceed last night. On the one hand, not know who form RS was arriving late, if we moved to another freq the late arrivers may not have found us. On the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly with Dave's comments regarding our "priority" and use of the repeater.

That said, it seemed that Frank and the group were not at all put out and the Rising Sun Group was very open to letting the others use the repeater. I guess the only odd part was the very different nature of the group conversations.

Perhaps our learning lesson from last night is to have a plan for when 145.145 is in use, and post that plan here so that all would know the primary and alternate frequencies for Monday nights at 9:00.

How about this for a start?
145.145 primary repeater
147.225 secondary repeater
TLCA #18941
Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Definitely, I never thought the fellas using the repeater really seemed to be in the middle of anything. They were on simplex, back to the repeater, down on HF, off the air taking care of a cat. I don't feel bad for trying to use the repeater. Just pointing out that the Rising Sun Radio Hour is not an officially recognized net on the CRA and so we can't monopolize their repeater if two members are ragchewing. They have every right to say no and keep using it if they want and we just should ask and be courteous.

Sitting inside with an HT all the way across town, kind of unlikely that I was gonna hear Nathaniel and I was just too lazy to go outside and try in the truck. I could hear your half of the conversation and thought about timing it and seeing if you could hear me, but I just went to bed instead.
I always use my homemade beam FM VHF 2M antenna at home. It is pointed to Squaw Mtn, so if you are in the 'ranch area of town, you would have been on my nulls. I am also kinda in a hole, too, so my signal probably will be driven higher toward the atmosphere before lower toward the ground. I use my Yaesu FT-2800M that used to be my 80's radio in the house hooke to the kenwood powersupply I use for my Kenwood HF rig. It has 14.1 volts at 30 amps continuous. That coupled with my 2M beam (homemade from $5 worth of 1.250" PVC pipe and a couple of welding rods) gives me about 7dB gain in the forward direction. I built that antena for use on the 14'er event, where lightweight and portability were essential. It was just as easy to quick clamp it to the chimney and use it for a temp base station. Cool thing is that from the street, the white PVC makes it look like the trees behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
I was a bit unsure of how best to proceed last night. On the one hand, not know who form RS was arriving late, if we moved to another freq the late arrivers may not have found us. On the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly with Dave's comments regarding our "priority" and use of the repeater.

That said, it seemed that Frank and the group were not at all put out and the Rising Sun Group was very open to letting the others use the repeater. I guess the only odd part was the very different nature of the group conversations.

Perhaps our learning lesson from last night is to have a plan for when 145.145 is in use, and post that plan here so that all would know the primary and alternate frequencies for Monday nights at 9:00.

How about this for a start?
145.145 primary repeater
147.225 secondary repeater
Previously, we had kinda met on 145.145 as an informal starting place, and had the 145.340 as a backup. If those two were in use, we would go to the Colorado Connections repeater at 145.310 to figure out where we would try next.
My opinion is that we handled ourselves well when we went on. I listened for at least 5 minutes before I put out my callsign. We aren't holding a formal "net", so scheduling is unecessary. I usually don't worry about the 145 machine since I emailed LJ (K0AXE) and he told me that as long as we aren't rude if someone wants to use the repeater, and leave long breaks, no one will care. The CRA assumes that the 145 machine will be a rag machine, and the culture surrounding that machine is much more loosey-goosey.
That doesn't excuse us from being good and neighborly operators.
If we want to arrange a formal net (not really something I think we need to do) then we need to become members of a repeater club and schedule a net. Only drawback is the dues. And they aren't that much. IIRC, the CRA is $20 a year. I think if we keep in mind to be hospitable, we will do just fine.

We can re-post a plan for monday nights, we just gotta make sure Romer has the frequency and tone in big numbers so he has it programmed in beforehand.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
we just gotta make sure Romer has the frequency and tone in big numbers so he has it programmed in beforehand.
braile too please.

The VX-7r is programmed so I just got to find it.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Bill,

You need the number designator.

These aren't taken:
KB0RCH
KD0RCH
So just exactly how do I apply for a vanity call sign? Can't figger it out.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
So just exactly how do I apply for a vanity call sign? Can't figger it out.
Start here.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

UB had a typo, got it fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Actually, I think KH1LI would be cool and don't let Kevin know I said so, but K0UBN is neat, too.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 03-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Start here.
I tried logging in to the FCC using my call sign, but it is associated with an FRN to which I do not know the password. I created a new FRN but can't reassociate the call sign to it (it is linked to the original FRN).
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I tried logging in to the FCC using my call sign, but it is associated with an FRN to which I do not know the password. I created a new FRN but can't reassociate the call sign to it (it is linked to the original FRN).
yep.

i wouldn't mind kdoige, but no $, so frivalties have to go.
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

You'll get your FRN and password in the mail soon, direct from the FCC. Patience, grasshoppers.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.