Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa
6th and I-25 would be anywhere from 10 minutes to 20 minutes more. I-70 and Colorado might be a little more dicey, traffic and all that. A lot depends on time of day (which part of rush hour), and also which part of Evergreen/Conifer you might be coming from, as far as how quick you can get onto the highways. A lot of locations include dirt roads which can add 10-20 minutes or more. For example, when I lived in Brook Forest (technically Evergreen), it took a good 15 minutes just to get into downtown Evergreen. As for Conifer, traffic on 285 has really deteriorated over the last 25 years, even with the extra lane they put in recently.

You might consider Idledale, Kittredge or Indian Hills as possible alternatives to Evergreen or Conifer, as far as commute (not to mention home prices).

Personally, I look forward to finding a gig up here like I had the first 5 years I lived here.

In any case, I wouldn't trade my location for anything as far as having deer, elk, fox, racoons and other beautiful wildlife wandering through my yard. It really is wonderful!
We love the area, just want to keep our average commute under 40 minutes. I am only 8 miles south of downtown and it takes me 20+ minutes now.

I have noticed that Indian Hills is closer, as are some homes that are in "morrison", but look like they are in the northern end of Conifer. The north end of Conifer (between Conifer 'downtown' and Indian Hills) does not seem too bad. How bad is 285 and C470 traffic? No idea how early we will leave yet. I can change my hours if need be, depends on what daycare we would use for the little dude.

How far down black forest road were you? I saw a house only 3 miles down from Evergreen...

Thanks for the advice guys!

T
Old 12-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Rising Sun Commander

C470 between 285 and I-70 can be downright awful. I've been stuck on it more than once next to Bandemiere, just trying to get to friends' house or something after work. There is a ton of development going on right now in the Conifer/Pine area, so 285 will get more crowded still, but home prices should appreciate in that area, more so than others. We want to get back up there as well, but will most likely try to stay on the north side of the area, away from 285, mainly because we both work north of I-70.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I stopped using C470 several years ago; I drive the "back way" on the Red Rocks side of the hogback. That's the route I used to take before they built C470. Much nicer scenery, much less traffic. The stretch of 285 between Indian Hills and Morrison really isn't that bad, the worst traffic is between Windy Point and Pine Junction.

When I lived in Brook Forest, I was about a mile or two up Forest Estates Road, which is at the end of Brook Forest Road, the turn off is right past the Brook Forest Inn. Back in those days the Inn used to be an actual Inn, with bar, restaurant and rooms upstairs that people lived in. I've seen it go through so many changes over the years I don't even know what it is any more. There was a time that my band played there back when they had a bar and dance floor.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default dang

I guess anywhere you live in Denver will be a pain to commute unless you live very close to work. My 8 mile drive sometimes takes 30 minutes because of T-Rex and all the back roads I have to take just to get to the highway. If I could work early or late enough to miss some of the traffic, I would love to live up there....

thanks again for the info. I may have to just drive the route a couple of mornings to see how bad it would be.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

I agree staying on the north side of Evergreen and shooting out to I-70 is a good option.

I'm able to zip out of Evergreen going north to I-70, drop the kids off in day care in east Golden, then on 6th ave. into work at 6th and Simms. Works pretty well, a 25 min commute if I just went straight to work.

Full time day care options are scarce in Evergreen since the Bergan Park Childrens World closed. That's why we have to go to Golden now.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner
I agree staying on the north side of Evergreen and shooting out to I-70 is a good option.

I'm able to zip out of Evergreen going north to I-70, drop the kids off in day care in east Golden, then on 6th ave. into work at 6th and Simms. Works pretty well, a 25 min commute if I just went straight to work.

Full time day care options are scarce in Evergreen since the Bergan Park Childrens World closed. That's why we have to go to Golden now.
While the north side of Evergreen and the Genesee/Soda Lakes area make for a quick commute on I-70, the home prices up there are astronomical. As for child care options, Scott, have you checked out the Montessori right there by Troutdale?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa
While the north side of Evergreen and the Genesee/Soda Lakes area make for a quick commute on I-70, the home prices up there are astronomical. As for child care options, Scott, have you checked out the Montessori right there by Troutdale?
I am going to do well selling my current home, so I have a little flexibility on price. I won't pay what they want in Genesee!!

So the consensus is C-470 sucks. 6 is not too bad. 70 between Golden and downtown is not great. Sigh.

For childcare options and ratings, check out www.qualistar.org

Shameless plug for a great non-profit organization that my wife happens to work for.

T
Old 12-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yup, that Montessori has just after school programs like the others in Evergreen. Full time day care for the little ones is the problem. I think there are are lot of people that use in home nannys for day care up here.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So Jeff says..
Quote:
Personally, I look forward to finding a gig up here like I had the first 5 years I lived here.
then Scott says..
Quote:
Full time day care options are scarce in Evergreen
I smell a business opportunity.. Zepp's Day Care!

boy has this thread digressed...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2
So the consensus is C-470 sucks. 6 is not too bad. 70 between Golden and downtown is not great. Sigh.
T
Actually I-70's not bad at all until you are East of around Kipling or Wadsworth. But, 6th is about the same. Scott and I are both West of Kipling.