Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

How many spots on the trail is it even an issue? 1, 2 or 3 over a 3 day trail run. As a club we could easily come to the obstacle, a few members yank the tent off and carry it 20 feet, go through the obstacle and put it back on. If this is a lot it wouldn't be practical. Thats the nice thing going with the club is we are a team and don't have to worry about how just I am going to get through.

I was thinking it was neat most of us were going to bring them, that would be an awesome camp setup.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

It has been a juggling act to get the tent on and off. I use my loading dock at the shop now, but for home, I am making a wooden crane and a hand winch to get that sucker on and off. Just to move it around inside the shop, I have to use a dolly.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default RTT's

I have been kicking around the idea of going with a RTT or not for the rubicon as well. Has anyone had any experience with this RTT http://www.everythingsuv.com/oasis_tents_main-esuv.asp Looks much lighter than most and it can be used off the truck which the would like she does not want to climb up on top of the truck.Eventually the RTT will go on the trailer I want to build for expedition wheeling.
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Think BIG Matt...Like 6 person, 3 room tent, with cots - What 'ya think? The only concern is finding a place to put the tent
We'll talk -- I have another very large tent. So are you in, man?
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert View Post
I have been kicking around the idea of going with a RTT or not for the rubicon as well. Has anyone had any experience with this RTT http://www.everythingsuv.com/oasis_tents_main-esuv.asp Looks much lighter than most and it can be used off the truck which the would like she does not want to climb up on top of the truck.Eventually the RTT will go on the trailer I want to build for expedition wheeling.

That would be easier to throw in the truck over the concerned obstacles and 40 lbs is pretty light.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post

I was thinking it was neat most of us were going to bring them, that would be an awesome camp setup.
No idea where this is

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

To me it is a matter of "horses for courses". Multi-purpose vehicles, such as our Cruisers, especially the wagons, allow for a broad range of activities and are adaptable to various settings. To be able to cover as many bases as our trucks can dish out requires differing accessories to suit our needs. Having camped many times with Dean and Dave with their Wildernest camper toppers has shown me the benefit of being able to set up camp in five minutes or less. After a long day on the dusty trail, to see them sitting in the shade of their tent toppers sipping on a cold one, while I'm still looking for a place to put down the ground cloth for the tent has finally caused me to reconsider. Yes, it is nice to have a tent that you can stand up in, have enough room for gear and two big dogs but sometimes it is good to be able to set up and take down camp in short order. Won't know exactly how sweet that situation is until things warm up a bit, but having just bought an Outback rack and Technitop tent from Christo a couple of days ago, I'll know very soon. Baja is beckoning at this very moment!
With the OME heavy/heavy set up on the FJ62 I've run without sway bars, front and rear, forever. Now, with the tent up top, I may have to experiment with them to see if they are worth having installed when the rtt is mounted. I'll still be wanting to run the Swampers sans sway bars without the tent up top on harder runs but for the trips that will involve milder wheeling the tent will be up there and the Yokohama Geolander AT-S tires will work just fine. Flexibility is where it is at.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

How I see it, MHO. If you wheel it on some hard trail and have a spotter to watch it. The extra 100 to 120 lbs will not matter as much as you think. Yes most truck will be taller, but the tires are wider. Take and imagine if your axle is turned side ways, like on the side wall of the tire(use a tape measure if needed). See where most of your load is, think about the rest of the weight is? If 100-120 extra lbs on top is going to matter, maybe the whole truck is not set up right.
Yes the Rubicon is tight in some area's, mostly this tightness is lower down.
Andy if you are reading this, comment if you want. Yes you may have a little top heaviness, but it will not tip you over if you take caution. Use the spotter straps to counter balance. Wheel your truck on Chinamans or maybe better yet, Holy cross and at moab this year. Get use to it and see how your truck will handle it. One thing I would not do is not wheel it at all and then go on the rubicon with it. If your truck is set up right, you will learn real quick what the truck will do and not do if you wheel it and learn your truck.
Lots of guys put lots of stuff on top of there truck and do the Rubicon. Some even look like Beverly Hillbillys going down the trail. If after doing Chinamans gultch and you do not like how it handles, Try something else or do chinamans again. Ask for spotter when in doubt. If you are not willing to practice with it, then do not take it on the rubicon, it will F**k with you to no end.
Any how the Rubicon is not a trail you want to experiment with your truck. Take a truck you have grown with, set up for your style of wheeling. Take the spot from people you trust. Work it to the utmost.
Again Just MHO. But I would not even think of removing the tent to portage it 20 feet then put it back on.
Good luck on the choice. later Robbie
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think the top-heaviness comes into play when a load on the roof is not distributed evenly, which a RTT would not apply. I mean something stupid like someone having 5 Scepters strapped down on one side of the vehicle and nothing on the other side and dropping of off-camber ledges, rocks, etc.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
How I see it, MHO. If you wheel it on some hard trail and have a spotter to watch it. The extra 100 to 120 lbs will not matter as much as you think. Yes most truck will be taller, but the tires are wider. Take and imagine if your axle is turned side ways, like on the side wall of the tire(use a tape measure if needed). See where most of your load is, think about the rest of the weight is? If 100-120 extra lbs on top is going to matter, maybe the whole truck is not set up right.
Yes the Rubicon is tight in some area's, mostly this tightness is lower down.
Andy if you are reading this, comment if you want. Yes you may have a little top heaviness, but it will not tip you over if you take caution. Use the spotter straps to counter balance. Wheel your truck on Chinamans or maybe better yet, Holy cross and at moab this year. Get use to it and see how your truck will handle it. One thing I would not do is not wheel it at all and then go on the rubicon with it. If your truck is set up right, you will learn real quick what the truck will do and not do if you wheel it and learn your truck.
Lots of guys put lots of stuff on top of there truck and do the Rubicon. Some even look like Beverly Hillbillys going down the trail. If after doing Chinamans gultch and you do not like how it handles, Try something else or do chinamans again. Ask for spotter when in doubt. If you are not willing to practice with it, then do not take it on the rubicon, it will F**k with you to no end.
Any how the Rubicon is not a trail you want to experiment with your truck. Take a truck you have grown with, set up for your style of wheeling. Take the spot from people you trust. Work it to the utmost.
Again Just MHO. But I would not even think of removing the tent to portage it 20 feet then put it back on.
Good luck on the choice. later Robbie

This seems like sound advice... Robbie have you wheeled before?

I would bring the RTT, the comfort level is hard to believe until you experience it... did anyone already say that the main reason for a RTT is the .... factor?

FWIW, Stacy thinks that bears can't even see it, let alone reach up and get us... shhhh

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili