Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hmmm sounds like maybe a Chinamans RTT Tent run is in order

Maybe if we go on Cheesmans ball busting leader training to Moab as well
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'll go on Chinaman's with you with my RTT on.

From what others have been saying on Mud, it sounds like it may not be the thing for the Rubicon. Now that I think back, there were a lot of times on the AZ trip I didn't want all the pine trees to rub all over and hit the RTT. I was seriously thinking Adventure Trailers. Here I go about building a nice, lightweight 80 with tube and low CG, ie no sub-tank, spare inside, no dual batteries, etc, and now the damn thing loaded up is heavy. I believe the best thing is a trailer and set up at base camp and wheel with a lighter vehicle. This doesn't help Ken, though with the Rubicon.

With about 2K into mine, I don't think I would want to damage mine. Ken, I would sleep inside tthe rig this time above your drawers somehow, and enjoy you Jayco for other trips.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 01-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Hee heeeee what a great thread! I had hoped it would bring out comments and progressive thinking! Y'all make me so proud....you really do.....

Robbie never stops amazing me! The last two years as a professional driver have taught him so much the rest of us could only imagine!

I am totally in on a Chinamans RTT camp-out! I think as many of the Rubithoners we can get should do it and I also think a trip to Holy Cross is in order for the same group equipped much like they will be on Rubi! We will learn so much about our trucks reactions with a load, how to work together and what we need for camping as a group. Everyone is a piece of the big picture!

I have not yet wheeled with my RTT either. I have had it mounted for a couple months and I have done some minor trail condition experiments and like Bikeman has mentioned...there isn't a huge difference BUT there is A difference! Rubicon will be a challenge, without a doubt! If it wouldn't be I doubt we would be drive gas guzzling tractors across the western desert just to get there and back! I know my abilities as a driver and a spotter. I do not fear the Rubicon but I have also wheeled it before! I look forward to wheeling the 80 through it as it will be a lot more of a demand of my line picking and driving skills than driving a well set up FJ-40 through it was! Will I get a dent or scrape.......odds say yes- my ego says no. Will I be really pissed off if I dent a quarter panel....not gonna be happy but no one twisted my arm to heard a moose through a garden gate so I'll take my wounds and live with my choices. I have faith in my driving skills and I know my friends and I really don't think I'll have a problem! That said, let me get back to the topic....

Pros
*It's a RTT! Unzip, fold out, drink beer, eat, fall asleep....
*Clothes, food and supplies are in the back of the cruiser tent and sleeping bag is not!
* It's weight is spread out over a large area when folded up
* I don't have to try to get a trailer over an obstacle while my Cruiser is doing another!
* Pull into any parking lot and go to sleep - try that in a tent!
* It is cool...hate to say it but that is a pro!

Cons
* There is an additional 11+ inches up there to watch out for!
* Gonna cost some more premium on the highway!
* CG is higher
* When not in use it is a PITA to store someplace dry and protected.
* Gotta have a buddy help load and unload it .....but sharing a couple cold ones with your helper is often worth the effort!
* Like a snorkel, everyone wants to know WTF "that" thing is.....
* If something goes wrong your sleeping quarters might be a pain to open and keep closed!!!!!!!!

I gotta get to bed but thats a pretty good list so far out of that spooky place between my ears!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-26-2008, 01:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
We'll talk -- I have another very large tent. So are you in, man?
Almost a positively definite - how's that for committment

RTT, tent, whatever it is, the fact that it will be ON the Rubicon is
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

my .02:

rtt's bad side:

IF you run expedition style, or wheel to camp, they are pretty impractical in forests. Hard to always find a level (or to level your truck) spot.

not always room above you

unique hardware, and not many plan b options for set up.

they take up a ton of space on your rack compared to separate ten options, leaving less room for provisions and gear outside the truck, where they should be stored for expeditions/wheeling to camp.

heat. having to set up "in the clear" means almost always direct uv exposure. Not very comfortable in the day, and lowers lifecycle.

Ladders. they become a pain, especially after a few beers when you need to drain the tank.

Cleaning. Always a part of the truck, so dismantling and removal a pain.

Repair. See above.

The good about RTT's.

They look cool.

They scream: "I have money and I am definitely cooler than you"

They also mumble: I watched way too much "mutual of omaha" when I was a kid.

I have also heard one say: "I wear pith helmets too some times"

Seriously though, if your concern is being on the ground, you can get a decent 4 person tent, mini cots (really cool ones these days - small footprint and light weight) for less money, and have WAY more flexibility.

If I were going to be camping/traveling in areas with abundant, big, nasty toothed carnivores and lots of poisonous reptiles or arachnids more than 4 times a year for days at a time, where there were lots of options to park, I would consider it. Other than that, they are just for the cool factor when you pull into the campground or into the known open spot at the end of a wheeling run.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

We rented a rig with a RTT in Australia. It was real small for 4 of us to sleep in. It took about as long to set up as a regular tent by the time you got the wire things pluged into the rain fly and getting the waterproof cover over it sucked. Also smelled like mildew.

Plus sides were it rained more than you could imagine and we stayed dry. We awoke one morning to 4" of standing rain in the campground. We were safe from the kangaroos and dingos.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Having camped many times with Dean and Dave with their Wildernest camper toppers has shown me the benefit of being able to set up camp in five minutes or less. After a long day on the dusty trail, to see them sitting in the shade of their tent toppers sipping on a cold one, while I'm still looking for a place to put down the ground cloth for the tent has finally caused me to reconsider. Yes, it is nice to have a tent that you can stand up in, have enough room for gear and two big dogs but sometimes it is good to be able to set up and take down camp in short order.
Aw shucks, it's not that good. One advantage that the 'Nest has over a rack-mounted RTT is that I can definitely stand up in my truck and I don't radically change the COG compared to a regular fiberglass topper (about 20% higher COG than just a topper). I'm not about to take the 'Nest off for the Rubithon, but I am not adding a roof rack or anything else up high. I will be putting water and fuel cans inside the truck in the box, so that should help keep weight low.
Quote:
With the OME heavy/heavy set up on the FJ62 I've run without sway bars, front and rear, forever. Now, with the tent up top, I may have to experiment with them to see if they are worth having installed when the rtt is mounted.
I've had my sway bars off for about 7 years. With IFS that's less of an issue if the springs and shocks are dialed in for the truck. I feel it handles better with them off in fact. With a solid axle and flexy springs that could definitely be a different ball of wax, though. Dean uses removable sway bar links on his trucks where I've never felt the need to spend the money to put mine back on. Different strokes.

Now for some gratuitous camper p0rn.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thats a nice setup Dave.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

I always wanted to make my 40 top do that, but the small roof makes it impractical for sleeping if you are over 5'8"

Cool, thanks Dave,

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Hmmm sounds like maybe a Chinamans RTT Tent run is in order

Maybe if we go on Cheesmans ball busting leader training to Moab as well

I'm up for Chinaman, may even had a RTT by then to practice with If I decide to get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me

Last edited by RockRunner; 01-26-2008 at 08:02 PM.