Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

It is definitely an ARB tent you can see it in the lower corner of the tent as you look at the rig from the rear.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well, a little late jumping into this one, but finally got caught up with the comments here, great stuff! I've only got a few-

Cons: Heavy, cumbersome, PITA to put on and off and not a one man job. Also you have to break down camp to move your truck. Also the ladder.

Pros: Looks cool, fun to be way up off the ground. Fast to set up/take down, also you can store your pillow and sleeping bag up there in the tent when it's collapsed.

I had been thinking of taking mine to Rubiton, mainly for the way out and the way back, but am considering leaving it home now. The extra pain of setting up a tent will be more than offset by the convenience of not having the RTT on the truck the whole time. Like say we're all camped out for 2 days at the lake waiting for the big event to start, if you want to go play are you going to take your RTT down? I'm kind of leaning towards the set it once and forget it aspect of the tent on the ground... plus that gives me a full roof rack for stuff (the RTT gives me a tiny piece of a roof rack for stuff) plus if it's clear out at night I could always pull a Luke and sleep up there.

I still want to come up with a good way to marry the Groucho clamps, crossbars, some sort of platform, and the RTT with some of you other guys this spring though, and would love to do a club RTT run some time to iron it all out. I'm kind of turned off on taking it to Rubithon though, after this discussion. good stuff!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Nak.....thats funny as I was chatting with Lori about this same scenario. camping in Rubicon Springs. It's fun to back track up Old Sluice and play around and there is also some rocks to play on in the Springs and with the RTT on the vehicle will just sit instead or like you mentioned camp will be broke to go play. Still not sure which way I will go but at this point I'm leaning on regular tent instead of treehouse.....I am eager for an overnight RTT run this spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Well, a little late jumping into this one, but finally got caught up with the comments here, great stuff! I've only got a few-

Cons: Heavy, cumbersome, PITA to put on and off and not a one man job. Also you have to break down camp to move your truck. Also the ladder.

Pros: Looks cool, fun to be way up off the ground. Fast to set up/take down, also you can store your pillow and sleeping bag up there in the tent when it's collapsed.

I had been thinking of taking mine to Rubiton, mainly for the way out and the way back, but am considering leaving it home now. The extra pain of setting up a tent will be more than offset by the convenience of not having the RTT on the truck the whole time. Like say we're all camped out for 2 days at the lake waiting for the big event to start, if you want to go play are you going to take your RTT down? I'm kind of leaning towards the set it once and forget it aspect of the tent on the ground... plus that gives me a full roof rack for stuff (the RTT gives me a tiny piece of a roof rack for stuff) plus if it's clear out at night I could always pull a Luke and sleep up there.

I still want to come up with a good way to marry the Groucho clamps, crossbars, some sort of platform, and the RTT with some of you other guys this spring though, and would love to do a club RTT run some time to iron it all out. I'm kind of turned off on taking it to Rubithon though, after this discussion. good stuff!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

This is good stuff, thanks Kevin for starting the thread. Since I haven't bought my RTT, this Oasis is looking better for the reasons mentioned here. It can be a RTT or it can be placed on the ground and then its like a big tent cot. Being 40 lbs, I wouldn't think it would impact COG that much and if it does, it folds up in a way it could fit inside.

This would probably be easier on Rachel's 4runner as well.

Wish I could find some reviews. Only found a couple. They are positive, but sparse.

http://www.everythingsuv.com/oasis_tents_main-esuv.asp

If nothing else, this RTT talk has got me thinking about COG effects and I likely wouldn't have given it much thought before.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ken,

I like the tent too but one thing has me worried about them.

" NOTE:You will be contacted Via email with your exact shipping rate
after the order has been processed. THANK YOU!"

Why can't they give you a shipping rate when you place the order? I can see not doing it online but if you call it in they should be able to do it. Seems a little shady to me but they may be the best out there who knows. I think you should buy one first and then we may follow our fearless leader...............

I may have a deal in the works on a RTT we'll see tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
RTT's are not for everyone! If I would have tried one before I leaped I would not have prioritized the purchase nearly as much as I did. I would like to give my fellow members in the club a chance to make a better choice about this especially if you are teetering on the fence. If you would have a good solid roof rack and would like to see how your vehicle feels with a RTT on it and also if you would like sleeping in a tree house I will let you bolt mine on your truck for a week. This of course is on the condition that you understand that if you damage it you fix it! This will give you a great opportunity to see if the hassles of loading and unloading it and of course storing it when not on your truck are worth the flavor of using it.
x2 on UBs offer. My RTT however IS the bargain blowout tent from IH8MUD. One of those offers that was too good to pass up at the time...It's been sitting in my garage since the day it arrived and I keep telling myself someday I will mount it up. I'll help you hoist it on top, but it has never been mounted so I have no idea about attachment to your rack. I plan to modify it (someday) to work with the new "Groucho" rack system many of us will be using in the future

I'd REALLY love to mount it up on my 40 though (while the soft top is on, and off) for some weekend camping/wheeling trips
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Let's pencil in a date for the RTT shakedown trip now that Ken found one. I'll have to work all Saturdays, but can easily drive up that night.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 02-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Jenny Cruiser and I came to an agreement and I will be getting a new RTT with a changing room. Looks like I will be able to take a short shakedown trip with the group depending on the date. The later in March the better or even April would work.

Still not sure if I will be taking it on the Rubicon but it will be on the trip. I plan on mounting it on the back of my tow rig so we don't have to set up a tent on the way to and from the Rubicon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me