Someday I might go ham but I will still keep my CB. 7 26.92%
Ham is ghey 2 7.69%
CB's are for loud mouth geeks who like to hear their own voice 0 0%
Communication on the trail....why? (no transceiver) 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default To ham or not to ham, that is the question....

This is a private poll so folks can vote freely and honestly and only the vote will show.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Really private, I guess.

I Ham, and I think you should if you can. I'm not enough of a Ham bigot, yet, to say "Dump the CB". I will probably run both in my 40 just so I can talk to the CBer's as well as Hams when on runs.

Is Ham better? The short answer is yes. With essentially similar components you have much longer range with 2m than CB. And the Ham repeater system adds a whole dimension not available with CB. It's a lot harder to sit in my garage and talk to, say Farnham, in Vail over a CB than it is a 2m Ham radio. And if you decide to build on the Ham hobby you can literally talk around the world from your back yard. Again, a lot harder if not impossible with CB.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have both and will keep both. What is it Cheesman says? he doesn't need a winch because someone he wheels with always does.

Lots of folks will keep running CBs and as trail leaders in Moab we need to keep the CBs as most folks there have one. The HAM comes in useful to talk to base or other members on other trails. Or you can have a conversation with someone without talking to the entire group on the trail.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

The poll has a bit of a hole. There's no option for keeping the CB only because of the dinosaurs. ;-) I don't plan to rip it out, but it pretty much only gets used on club runs. Most of the non-4WD people I hang out with use ham or at least FRS. But in fairness we're talking about cyclists, skiers, hikers, etc. So a CB is just impractical to keep in a backpack. Not impossible, just less good.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

The added range and benefit of Ham is indisputable, but CB is still the LCD on the trails. Having both makes the most sense, but for someone who can't even figure out where to put on radio in his truck, installing two becomes a real challenge.

And it sucks to be the only guy out on the trail with a Ham if everyone else is talking on CB.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I'm really enjoying these debates on radios! I think it is an important subject for the club to think about. We have other bogus debates like my truck is better because.... but this is a real topic that will come up a lot in the future. If you look at other club forums this issue is obviously wide spread. There is at least one club in TLCA that this subject has got way out of hand and folks are taking hard sides. The more we communicate these real issues the better and stronger our club will be from it as we know and respect each others feelings! Keep it going and please be honest about how you feel!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Trichinosis is no longer a threat from American ham and pork

wait....what were you talking about?
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

My CB is also a compass, and weather radio.

Is there a cheap ham/CB radio/compass/weather radio? What's the difference in hardware between a HAM radio and a CB radio?

Should I hold out a little longer with just a CB until we are all talking via bluetooth headsets linked to a satelite based VOIP system?
Isn't the internet based on packet radio technology anyway?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

No one I wheel with outside Rising Sun has ham. Trichinosis or not. It's usefulness is beyond dispute particularly in an emergency. But as stated, CB is still the LCD, and useful for highway trips for road info.

A radio may be technically superior but it has to reach a critical mass of users and ease of casual operation to be useful for chit-chat, spotting instructions, etc. One of ham's limitations seems to me to be one of its strengths: the signal travels a LONG way. A CB signal stays pretty much within the group. Unless I am missing something, which seems likely since I know nothing about ham really.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
My CB is also a compass, and weather radio.

Is there be a cheap ham/CB radio/compass/weather radio? What's the difference in hardware between a HAM radio and a CB radio?

Should I hold out a little longer with just a CB until we are all talking via bluetooth headsets linked to a satelite based VOIP system?
Dunno about a compass, I just carry one of those. But just about every single 2 meter ham radio can receive the weather bands. There's only 9 frequencies and the one in Denver is 162.550 MHz. Beyond, most radios made in the last decade or so will do what's call wide band receive, which means they can pick up frequencies way beyond where they can transmit. The radio I have is sort of lower middle quality and can receive aircraft bands, weather, commercial, public safety (even hear the National Park Service, BLM and USFS radios), FRS, GMRS. I can only transmit on the ham bands, but I can listen to just about every radio that transmits from 108MHz to 999MHz (with a handful of off limit bands, like cell phones).

Ask the people down in New Orleans how counting on stuff like VoIP and cell phones worked out. Only the ham guys were getting messages in and out...

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler