Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Pros and Cons of Removing Swaybars

I see a few folks remove their swaybars for offroading. Some have a setup that allows them to disconnect and others just take it off alltogether.

This is an area that I just have no clue of whats better. I think the swaybar allows you more articulation (true?)but on the otherhand, couldn't it make you more tippy?

I'm really clueless in this area (and many others) and look forward to the education.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Take yours off and find out! It seems like not much is gained on an 80 when the SW's are removed because the design of the front arms will bind and limit articulation anyway. Rear will allow more droop but if your loaded with weight (especially up high) the added droop will not be a greater benefit over increased sway! Don't "what if"....just "find out!"

I will say that on my FJ-62 the sway bars severly limited articulation and as a result I twisted the backets a couple times....I finally removed the rear one and just ran the front unless I was headed for something knarly then I took the front off too.

I leave them on on the 80 and really have not had any needs to take them off.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

It's not so much the amount, as the "quickness" of the reaction. I removed both, but found that leaving the front off was the ticket. Less resistance made the front work that much easier/faster.

j
Old 01-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by green machine View Post
It's not so much the amount, as the "quickness" of the reaction. I removed both, but found that leaving the front off was the ticket. Less resistance made the front work that much easier/faster.

j
Very true! On my 62 I noticed that as well. The rear on and front off made it handle better on the road but the front on and the rear off wheeled better and was better than none at all. Like everything....what are you willing to give up with the modification? Every action has a reaction!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

I took my rear off. With the 863 rears, it's fine loaded, to me.

I will remove my front soon. The guys that have had the mount at the axle break have had the brake line on the axle housing fall victim. I'm sure you've read that.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 01-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

I rally my rig at 80 mph on I-70. I like having the sway bars for the peace of mind on the pavement. While you may gain a little articulation, it does not offset the reduction in safety. Especially with roof rack and a truck full of gear. IMHO.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

I pull my front to wheel. It is more balanced that way. The problem with leaving the 80 front on for hardcore wheeling as was pointed out if you snap a bracket it takes out the brake hard line. Big time not worth it.

You'll never get more articulation out of having a swaybar connected - they are designed to in essence to limit flex, although the 80's don't to any material degree within "normal" travel range as they help with sway without much limitation to flex. It is that design that makes a quick disconnect difficult compared to say Jeeps that have IFS travel levels connected and go nuts once you disco. All you need is an extension link to account for lift height with a hitch pin. When disco'd they just roll up out of the way. You can't really achieve that with the low hanging 80 swaybar.

I will sometimes leave mine off in the summer wheeling season. I can feel it a bit under full load (kids & gear) around and prefer to have it on, but I don't hesitate to drive without just the front. I would not disco both on a quad coil anything for road use.

This is why I'm always under my truck at the trail head for 10 minutes . The front gets a ride home in cargo area, and I reinstall when I get around to it.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Cons: more body roll. Pros: more articulation on the trail.

I put on Drew Person's quick disconnects 11 years ago. 10 years ago I just took off the entire sway bar. The quick disconnects were a total pain.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Removed the rear from my wife's 4Runner when I had to drive it on CM a few years ago. Made a HUGE difference in rear articulation, not to mention with the lift and no extensions I was soon to break something. It tracks a little differently (slight oversteer) in the corners but you quickly get used to it. No downside IMHO. I should remove the front too. THen I can go from zero IFS articulation in the front to .05% articulation.

No sways on the Chili. Sometimes I think it might benefit from a disconnectable front bar. Haven't had the inclination to experiment yet.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

I pulled off my front sway bar for my first wheelin season in the truck, but never put it back on. Like most other mods, you get used to it pretty quickly. More front body roll, but I drive pretty conservatively on road anyway, and don't even notice it any more.

And my front IFS got 0.07% improved articulation!!