Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default LSLC Member Possibly Moving to Denver...

Hey guys,

I live in Dallas and am a member of LSLC and may be getting relocated to Denver for work. My wife and I have 2 kids and are wanting to get some insight from you locals on where to live in the Denver area. We'd like good schools, first and foremost, and a nice view of the mountains too if possible. Looking to spend no more than $ 400K.

What areas are a good buy? I really like Golden, Evergreen, and Parker too.

If we move there, I'd sure like to join Rising Sun. I've got an FJ60.

I met a couple of you guys at Roundup a few years back...

Anyway, help or insight would be appreciated.

Carson
Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Where in town will your work be? If you work in the Tech Center, Parker makes sense while Golden and Evergreen might try your patience, for example.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hey Dave,

We have on office downtown in Denver, but my projects are usually scattered all over the metropolitan area. I'll be all over the place.

I've actually traveled to Denver every other week for about 8 years, and now that I have a family, I am tired of being on the road all the time. It's time to get them up there with me.
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

dang...we let gary in, now everyone wants to come here golden/evergreen area definitely. parker puts you into nightmare traffic whenever you have to head to denver or north, plus you'd be a southsider and that's a no-no.
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

South side school systems Cherry Creek, Littleton and Douglas County systems are your best bet.
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 01-30-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

There are a lot of great spots around town.

My kids go to Cheery Creek schools and thats the main reason we live in this part of town.

There are some great neighborhoods all around the metro area. My advice is get an apartment first where you think you want to live and drive around and get to know it.

If your appointments are all over (N S E W) then you have a lot of options in being able to get to your office down town. If they are more in one part of the city, you may look there. Or let the school systems help narrow your choices down.

Welcome.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks, guys! I am definitely going to do some research on these areas. Is it possible to get into Cherry Creek for the budget we are looking at?

What about Ken Caryl Ranch? How is that area holding up?

It seems like you guys have a very strong 'Cruiser group up here; I would love to get involved. I used to live in Ft. Collins, and I sure miss those trips into the Poudre Canyon and to the BLM land.

I am getting some salary and housing cost issues wrapped up in the coming weeks and we would move in May, June, or July.

Aside from the cost of real estate, what other "cost of living" expenses should I bear in mind when moving to CO?

Thanks again,

Carson
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmontgo View Post
Thanks, guys! I am definitely going to do some research on these areas. Is it possible to get into Cherry Creek for the budget we are looking at?

What about Ken Caryl Ranch? How is that area holding up?

It seems like you guys have a very strong 'Cruiser group up here; I would love to get involved. I used to live in Ft. Collins, and I sure miss those trips into the Poudre Canyon and to the BLM land.

I am getting some salary and housing cost issues wrapped up in the coming weeks and we would move in May, June, or July.

Aside from the cost of real estate, what other "cost of living" expenses should I bear in mind when moving to CO?

Thanks again,

Carson
Carson,
Cheery Creek is in Denver and is an expensive area. Cheery Creek Schools is farther south and covers a large area with some expensive homes and some not so expensive homes.I think North of County line, east of University all the way out east through south Aurora is the Cheery Creek school district and south of Quincy. There are some pockets in either direction.

In my neighboorhood there are $250K homes all the way up to $1M+ homes. To the east and west there are some less expensive neighboorhoods as well.

Not sure what you are looking for so here are some examples in my same zip code.

Best way to see whats available is to search using a realator website.

Here is a search of whats available in my zip code 3 bed, 2bath between 250K and $400K http://www.realtor.com/search/search...=4&bth=4&typ=1

Modify it to what you are looking for

I like this area because of the schools, you can get on 470, I-25, I225 or Parker Road in minutes. Close to lots of great restaraunts and i Grew up in this part of town

There are lots of nice communities throughout the metro area. There are a few that no one . . . . well one does . . . would live in.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Man, you need to buy my house! ( http://www.Obeo.com/436743
) It'll go on the market next week.

Jeffco schools are good, for public schools, if you're in the right area. South is good, north is fine, central is not so good. (I taught in them for ten years, though that's been some time ago. We send our kid to Front Range Christian, which is nearby.)

If you want a nice *view* of the mountains, live east. However, if you want to leave the views to the sedentary folks and actually get *in* the mountains, live west. I choose the latter. I'd think awhile before buying in the hills, though. Just a few hundred feet of elevation difference can make a huge difference in the length and severity of winter.

Good luck!

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 01-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Carson,

School wise the better districts (IMO) are Cherry Creek, Littleton, Douglas, and Jeffco - this are all South metro area districts because that is what I know. Jeffco has declined over that last several years compared to what it use to be. My niece and nephew are in Jeffco school district. I grew up in the Littleton school district and it is still good, albeit mostly older. Cherry Creek has always been at or near the top depending up which school in the district your children would actually attend - Romer may be able to help you out on that. Douglas Cty school district is one of the fastest growing and also in spots has some of the newest schools.

Of course this assume you are going public vs private schooling.

As for areas to live, I'm partial to the South side but I've been down South since 1980. Prior to that I lived up in Montbello.

Things to consider when buying a home in Colorado:

If you can live East of where you work. That way your commute in is to the West AWAY from the morning sun and your commute home is East AWAY from the setting sun. Certain times of year the rising/setting su can be brutal and cause pretty good traffic jams as people slow down due to limited visibility

Short commutes RULE IMO so if possible find a home near where you will spend the majority of your time. My one-way commute is ~5 miles. It still takes me 15-20 mins depending upon traffic but it beats spending an hour or more every morning and evening. If you have to travel to Downtown often then consider using the Lightrail to reduce the commute stress.

If possible choose a home that faces South. In the winter you get the sun exposure to the front of your house which can REALLY help when the snow comes. East/West exposures are ok and North is the worst. Northern exposures can mean snow/ice till spring. There are a lot of times I don't even shovel the driveway after a fall (say 3" or less) snow storm and when I come home from work the snow is gone thanks to the sun. My neighbor across the street would have snow/ice for awhile.

As for views of the mountains. x2 on what Mark stated. Once you get West of say Santa Fe (maybe a little more) you don't really "see" the mountains anymore, just the foothills. C470 on the West runs right up along the foothills so at that point you are more in them than seeing them. That would cover Ken Caryl Ranch which as far as I know is still going strong albeit older now. Golden is nice if you like more of the small town atmosphere. Again, you'd be more in the mountains and commuting might be less than optimal. Evergreen...well that is way more up in the mountains and commuting from there will definitely take some time each day and winter could be challenge getting home depending upon the weather. And, I assume you'd typically be taking I-70 to get to/from work so you'd have to deal with that every day.

Hope that helps some. Sound like you already know the city pretty well as it is so you probably know by now that we don't typically get huge snow storms, and that in general the weather is actually pretty mild year round. We get the occassional real hot and real cold weather but in Colorado you learn real quick that if you don't like the current weather to just wait. It is bound to change in 15 minutes
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 01-28-2008 at 12:46 AM.