.11 - .15 2 13.33%
.16 - .20 0 0%
.21 - .25 0 0%
.26 - .30 2 13.33%
over .30 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Rising Sun Commander

$50.08/1730= .029. That's down here in town... thermostat between 58 and 62 depending on time of day.

620/1150/4= .46 up in the hills, just had the propane tank filled after 4 months to the tune of $620 . Thermostat set at 57░ all the time, and that propane use is almost all heat, I cooked eggs once and have made about 4 pizzas.. Did I mention that furnace up there sucks ass? .28 sounds pretty good..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, I never thought about it like that. After reading these post I don't feel to bad regarding our bill.

3500 @ 180= 0.051 This includes us using the fireplace insert when it gets real cold. So far we have burned 1.5 cords of wood this winter but then again the average heat in the house is around a balmy 73*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

$150.81/2863 = .053 w/out the basement
$150.81/3763 = .040 w/ the basement

I've never considered this to be good but looking at the other results I'm surprised. 12 yr old multi-level home with original furnace, gas fireplace, gas water heater, and gas clothes dryer. Thermostat is set for a chilly 69F pretty much full time in the winter. I've read that in reality even with a programmable thermostat it is better to keep the temperature fairly constant rather (within a few degrees of the high and low temp, if that) than to have big swings. Word is that it takes more energy to heat up/cool down a house from the different temps than it does to just keep it fairly constant. I guess like city driving vs. highway driving?

Only upgrade we have done is replace all 30 frickin' windows with supposedly better efficiency ones to the tune of a brazillion dollars to reduce our utility costs/use...You've probably heard the commercials of the company GUARANTEEING you a 40% reduction on your heating/cooling bill? Yeah, what a crock. Our usage, per their study, showed we used 7% MORE the year following the new windows compared to the previous year WTF - BOHIC for sure on that deal.

Anyway, I'm guessing we aren't doing so bad after all
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Everyone except Nakman sounds like they are paying a lot less. Must be the combination of efficient furnaces and good insulation. I know our furnace is old and in need of an upgrade, but we just spent $700 having it cleaned and "tuned up". . . Our bill for 12/13 -1/16 was $560 ! I hope that new windows and a new furnace will help.

Last edited by MDH33; 01-29-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Martin I'd suggest you get y'self a nice wood stove insert, with a blower. Then come over in about a month and help me clear some trees.. I've pretty much picked out where I want the play areas and ski slopes to be now. 4 or 5 trailer loads oughta do it, then next winter you can see how long you can go before the heater turns on.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Martin, a 100K furnace I sold to a fella is coming back, he ran out of money due to some unforeseen small disasters... $400 and it is yours. 90% efficient 100K Bryant. PM me if you want it.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Wow, everyone except Nakman sounds like they are paying a lot less. Must be the combination of efficient furnaces and good insulation. I know our furnace is old and in need of an upgrade, but we just spent $700 having it cleaned and "tuned up". . . Our bill for 12/13 -1/16 was $560 ! I hope that new windows and a new furnace will help.
If the old windows are in bad shape, I would expect to see a significant improvement. I bought my house with the original steel frame, single pane windows and they were bad. The ice that formed on the inside of the glass was a good indication of the heat loss. We replaced the windows with vinyl frame double pane. It made a big difference in how the house feels inside although I haven't ever done a before/after gas usage comparison.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Martin I'd suggest you get y'self a nice wood stove insert, with a blower. Then come over in about a month and help me clear some trees.. I've pretty much picked out where I want the play areas and ski slopes to be now. 4 or 5 trailer loads oughta do it, then next winter you can see how long you can go before the heater turns on.
Right on. I was actually looking at new chain saws this week. We have some beetle kill that needs to come down and some thinning in our yard too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Martin, a 100K furnace I sold to a fella is coming back, he ran out of money due to some unforeseen small disasters... $400 and it is yours. 90% efficient 100K Bryant. PM me if you want it.
PM'd you, and got your reply, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
If the old windows are in bad shape, I would expect to see a significant improvement. I bought my house with the original steel frame, single pane windows and they were bad. The ice that formed on the inside of the glass was a good indication of the heat loss. We replaced the windows with vinyl frame double pane. It made a big difference in how the house feels inside although I haven't ever done a before/after gas usage comparison.
Yeah, they are old aluminum framed cheap-o windows. I did some quick price checks and it looks like new windows are going to be one of the most expensive upgrades we do. I guess I'll be learning how to install my own windows.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Trail Ready

.03 here, this thread is making me feel better. We run a new 50gal. hot water heater, forced air heat and the fireplace on natural gas. Fireplace is on virtually all the time.

Programmable thermostat, set to 65 from 8:00pm to 6:00am, 68 from 6:00am to 9:00am, back down to 65 for the day and then back up to 68 at 5:00pm.

Very old furnace, but this thread's evidence is telling me it's doing all right.

-Matt

ps: and Oh yeah, all windows (27) were replaced last year for double pane, vinyl clad, Low E, blah blah blah windows. Cost about the same as one child's college education, but we'll make it all back by saving $27 per year on gas bills.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmatt View Post
ps: and Oh yeah, all windows (27) were replaced last year for double pane, vinyl clad, Low E, blah blah blah windows. Cost about the same as one child's college education, but we'll make it all back by saving $27 per year on gas bills.
You too huh? Yeah, if we stay in our homes for the next 400 years the windows will have paid for themselves

BTW, the company we used is being sued by the state for false advertising - Go figure
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater