Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default Ok, so what kind of fancy dancy phone should I get?

I was talking to my boss yesterday about iPhones, how they're pretty cool but I've heard they're somewhat cumbersome to type on. I messed with a Blackberry once but it was an older one (black & white) and I thought it was pretty lame.. also kind of big.

Anyway my boss left me a message last night that said "hey if you want an iPhone, go get one" which is my green light to get whatever I want. So here's what I think my needs are:

-Be somewhat small, able to fit in my pocket
-Access to our Exchange server at work? I want to send/receive email, from multiple mailboxes (currently set up as shortcuts in my Outlook)
-Still gotta be a telephone, speakerphone, etc., bluetooth connectivity.
-Play MP3's?
-Internet access. - in fact if it could somehow beam that connectivity over to a laptop or router I could see that as being a huge benefit.

that's probably it, what am I missing? what do you guys have? My current phone is a 2nd gen Razr, but I may not want to stay with Motorola since they're getting out of the phone business. All comments welcome

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

I love my treo...especially for exchange server access and email/internet access...kinda bulky, but not bad once you get used to it.
KDTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

treo. I have a crackberry curve that the company made me get.. treo kills it in overall functionallity and features. Crackberrys are the **** for corporate use though, (remember build out big arse mobile data networks for a living) with there total contact database integration, and voice dial from contacts with no programming. However, they stink compared to a treo or a windows device for network integration such as document handling and mobile applications (supply chain / erp). Biggest advantage? touch screen. Much easier to use touch screen or stylus to utilize programs and features than a trackball.

These are not one off opinions. This is after working with organizations deploying THOUSANDS of devices at a time.

call me if you want to discuss in more detail around business use.. for personal use? I would still rock the treo or one of the samsung units

j
Old 02-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Good stuff, thanks. Also I am probably still married to the ATT/Cingular network, if that matters? How about one of these Palm Centros? looks like all the other cute girls have one, so it must be good.

edit: doesn't look like I can get any Palm device and stick with ATT...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have a BlackBerry Pearl and love it.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have had a Palm Treo for about 2.5 years and I have abused it without issue. It does eveything well, and I love how it runs ALL the Palm software out there...

I would buy it again. It is a bit bigger than some, but they are all around the same size once you get a smart phone.

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

My only complaint about the iPhone is the speaker phone isn't loud enough. Everything else is awesome. Typing is incredibly easy on the iPhone and I can probably type faster on it than on what the other phones have. They just enabled GPS support so that complaint has been addressed now. You can set up a VPN with the iPhone; however, it will only work if your company doesn't require external software for the VPN to set up.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yea, same issue here - I got my wife an Iphone for Xmas, and it's great for everything except the work email/VPN issues. In her case, it's a specific issue with the company's VPN software and elevated security standards. If you are thinking IPhone, do the research ahead of time and see if its compatible with your work's setup.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

The kind that is big enough that your wife doesn't run through the washing machine. Like mine did 2 days ago.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

att supports palm products. trust me. I would know.

j