Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default An interesting development... sure to make a fight

Utah Governor Lays Claim to Roads
Employing a 2-year-old state law for the first time, the Governor's Office is claiming ownership of roads that cross federal lands as a way to keep them open to off-highway recreation and oil and gas drilling.

Like it or not, it seems our fortunes are tied in with extractive industry. One issue that may not be the most obvious is, when SUWA succeeds in designating Wilderness, that land is lost forever to a struggling county's ability to raise property taxes to support schools and local government. Which concentrates the burden on the remaining landowners. That is why the counties are by and large against SUWA.

The lines of battle keep getting drawn...

KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pretty interesting reading. I guess we all need to work together, some unlikely bed fellows may come of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

And here is the kicker: create a backcountry designation that is short of Wilderness, but does preserve the environment better than current designations (and allows OHV access), and the lines will get redrawn yet again... the counties are not anti-environment. Neither are we. It is just that SUWA, in holding to idealism and 'purist' goals, creates lots of opponents among those who might be allies.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.