Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ40 Won't Start

The FJ40 won't start up. A couple of weeks ago we disconnected the fuel filter to replace it. We tried to fire it up last weekend with a jump start but it was a no go. The starter would crank, crank, crank but the engine would not ever get going. I could see through the glass that there was fuel in the carb, so I figured that it just needs a little starter fluid and would get to it next (this) weekend.

This afternoon we sprayed a whole can of starter fluid in (not all at once) to the carb but no joy. I understand the basic principle is to get fuel from the tank to the carb, mix the fuel with air, put the mist into the engine cylinder where power is applied to the spark plug to get combustion.

I could use some help in guiding me through debugging the problem...

I am pretty sure that the fuel is getting to from the tank to the carb as I can see it in through the glass. But it could be that I have an air gap and fuel is not making it to the carb. That is to say, the fuel I see in the carb could be what was in there a couple of weeks ago - after all it has not run. How could I go about confirming that the fuel is getting from the tank to the carb?

One of the other things I would like to check is the power getting to the spark plug. I remember (when I was much younger) touching the spark plug on my go-cart while it was running and getting a nice shock. While I'm sure I could replicate this experience to test for power on the FJ40 - there's got to be a safer way. Do I remove each spark plug wire and hook it up to a multi-meter? Can I hook a multi-meter up to the plug wire without disconnecting it?

I'd like to check these two things out before moving on to the carb. Any guidance?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

remove plug wire, if your boot will slide on the wire, slide it back, place very close to block, turn key and see if you see spark. i'd start at the coil wire and work from there
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Rising Sun member

Spark plug wires should have a pretty good insulator on them, so you shouldn't get shocked too bad. Do as Ige says and start with the coil wire going to the distributor. Hold it gently to reduce the likelihood of voltage transfer to you (kinda like touching a hot pan lightly).
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I usually hold it with some insulated pliers or use a camp and clamp it somewhere on the block
TLCA#4180
Old 02-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ricardo:

I helped the father-in-law with his FSJ (Full Sized Jeep) this weekend. We found a dead coil.

The Craftsman Phillips screwdriver is the exact diameter of a spark plug head AND it has an nice insulated handle.

While getting 20,000 volts to your hand is fun, the screw driver works a lot better.

Jam screwdriver into a plug wire, hold it about 1/4 inch from ground. Get someone to roll the engine over. Watch for a nice bright blue spark from screwdriver shaft to the
ground. Orange spark is marginal.

Nothin? put that wire back on a plug and move to the coil wire at the distributor. Same routine.

Nothin? ok, well the coil isn't firing for some reason. put the wire back on the center of the cap. Get out the ol' test light.

Test your test light on the battery first. Maybe Jr. burned it up stickin' it in the wall outlet again.

One side of the coil should be HOT with the ignition on. The other side will be "cold."
Get Jr. to hit the starter again. The light should dim on the hot side of the coil, and it should flash on and off or at least flicker on the other terminal.

If it flickers, as least you know the ignition system is doin' the thing, if not, you gotta check points or your spark box.

So it'll flicker, but no spark from the coil, you gotta bad coil most likely. they do die about every 20-30 years ya know.
No flicker, you gotta fix that first. point if you still have them. Condenser coil maybe?
spark at the coil, but not hte plugs? Get out the ohm meter and check the plug wires. Then pull the cap/rotor and fix that cracked rotor or remove the carbon tracks from the cap. (doubtful)

Summary:
If it doesn't run on ether, you have no spark. Check for spark at the end of the plug wire first, then the coil, then use a 12v light on the primary coil windings to check for poer to the coil and that the coil is firing. It's no big deal.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Coil wire is not connected - where does it go?

Thanks for all the help so far. I've been able to confirm that there is a Ignition Coil wire that is not connected up. It is the black wire on the bottom right side of the Ignition Coil, you can see in this linked picture.

Looking at this diagram in the F-Engine Manual I can see there are (3) Ignition Coil wire connection points and have been able to deduce a little bit of insight about my situation.

In the diagram, the bottom wires from the Ignition Coil go to the Ignition Switch and Regulator. In my situation, these would be the (2) wires on the bottom left side of the coil. The thicker wire from the center of the coil into the center of the distributor is just where I would expect it to be.

With all the other wires accounted for, my disconnected wire would be the top one (off the Ingintion Coil) on the diagram. What is the this wire supposed to connect to? I don't know what the circled part up in the left corner of the diagram is and I can't find the answer in any of the narrative. I've searched on MUD and it looks like the wire should be connected to the distributor, but that does not match the diagram. Is is not obvious to me where the wire was previously located. Any thoughts?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 08-03-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ricardo:

That icon in the top left is a top view of your distributor with the cap off. You can just make out the points in the icon. (more 'lectrics to go bad)

Yep. you need a wire from the coil to the distributor. Usually it is on the "-" connector of the coil. The other side of the coil, "+" usually goes to ignition power.

Usually, there is a do-dad on the side of the distributor with a spade connector. The do-dad is in a notch between the cap and the distributor body.

If you still have points on that bucket, ask around about an electronic ignition upgrade. They make some that fit INSIDE the distributor for that sano look we all want. There is nothing wrong with the external units either, except a little more wiring junk visible in the engine bay.
This will replace your points, rubbing block, condenser coil with an optical pickup that simply works. We've been running a PERTRONIX brand unit in the '63 Austin Healey for 15+ years. WAY less work than keeping points in good shape.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Where are you at now Richardo? Is it firing yet?

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 02-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

It should be on the side of the dist as spanky says
TLCA#4180
Old 02-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

but touch it to your tongue while cranking the starter just to be sure....
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11