Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Snow Run Investigation

Hey y'all, since we've had marginal success with running Yankee Hill as a club the past couple of years I was thinking of looking for some alternates. It looks like the next couple of Sundays will be open for me, at least in the morning. I was thinking of taking a look at:
-Argentine Pass
-Guanella Pass
-Lamartine area
-Castle Gulch
-Bill Moore Lake Area
-Switzerland Trail Area

Do these sound like good alternates? Is anybody up for running some of these with me (better to not be by myself etc.) over the next couple of weeks to check them out? Anybody have reasons why I/we should stay away from any of these during the winter? Thanks.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Check out this link for Guanella Pass snow wheeling. It was harder than I thought it would be.

http://www.root45.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=49373
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Rising Sun member

Yeah I remember that from last year. It's worth a shot to check out though right?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Hey y'all, since we've had marginal success with running Yankee Hill as a club the past couple of years I was thinking of looking for some alternates. It looks like the next couple of Sundays will be open for me, at least in the morning. I was thinking of taking a look at:
-Argentine Pass
-Guanella Pass
-Lamartine area
-Castle Gulch
-Bill Moore Lake Area
-Switzerland Trail Area

Do these sound like good alternates? Is anybody up for running some of these with me (better to not be by myself etc.) over the next couple of weeks to check them out? Anybody have reasons why I/we should stay away from any of these during the winter? Thanks.
I wouldnt recomend Argentine this deep into winter. Seeing how the main section of road follows a good shelf section for some time. The only other option for that rd is to follow the power line road in the valley, but that might get interesting seeing as how you have a few creek crosing to navigate.

Guanella Pass, as Mike stated, was tough but it also was fun. Nothing to much to worry about on that road, just all the snow that has been coming down.

We did Switzerland trail a few years ago around this time I think, and it was a lot of fun. Will have to see if I can dig up the pics....

The others I have not done enough to know for winter time use.

We did Loch Lomond a few new years ago, but that to was slow going, even with the Cruiser Train plowing in front. I'm sure it'll be just as tough with all the recent snow.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
I wouldnt recomend Argentine this deep into winter. Seeing how the main section of road follows a good shelf section for some time. The only other option for that rd is to follow the power line road in the valley, but that might get interesting seeing as how you have a few creek crosing to navigate.

Guanella Pass, as Mike stated, was tough but it also was fun. Nothing to much to worry about on that road, just all the snow that has been coming down.

We did Switzerland trail a few years ago around this time I think, and it was a lot of fun. Will have to see if I can dig up the pics....

The others I have not done enough to know for winter time use.

We did Loch Lomond a few new years ago, but that to was slow going, even with the Cruiser Train plowing in front. I'm sure it'll be just as tough with all the recent snow.
Switzerland Trail is what we used to do the Snow and Pizza Run on. The last couple years we did it there was so little snow that the fun factor was limited to the Pizza part! I can do a quick look-see at SL and see what it looks like. (20 minutes from my house!) I bet the upper section is drifted in deep!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Rising Sun member

Yeah I remember doing Switzerland (riding with Groucho) a couple years ago, so that's why it came to mind. I'm assuming the Pizza Part would not be at Beau Jo's in that case though...

Where's Loch Lamond?

What about Slaughterhouse?

Other northern trails? We did Walden with the FJCs last year, I know that's pretty far and really more of a destination type deal, but still...
Rising Sun Bio
Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

A group of motorcyclists attempted Guanella yesterday.
ADVrider.com
Looks like they got pretty far this year, as far as we got last year in 4x4s!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Yeah I remember doing Switzerland (riding with Groucho) a couple years ago, so that's why it came to mind. I'm assuming the Pizza Part would not be at Beau Jo's in that case though...

Where's Loch Lamond?

What about Slaughterhouse?

Other northern trails? We did Walden with the FJCs last year, I know that's pretty far and really more of a destination type deal, but still...

The way we did the first run of the year (Snow/Pizza run), [Edited], was the whole group did Switzerland Trail then we ate pizza at Millsite Inn in Ward. After pizza those who wanted more of a run (tougher) went out again a tad bit higher. Some of those "after the pizza runs" became great campfire legends! Like for instance, Henry Brimmers side slope adventure or Jeff Jackson's famous "Bob Sled Ride!" Good times for sure!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
-Argentine Pass
-Guanella Pass
-Lamartine area
-Castle Gulch
-Bill Moore Lake Area
-Switzerland Trail Area

Another great place to get stuck in the winter is the Bunce School road area!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Loch Lamond is up above Alice. If you remember Kingston peak where you stopped at that place where people stacked up all those rocks? That looks down to Loch Lamond.. Yoder is our resident master for getting up there, he took me up there once after I led a night run up and over Kingston. In fact there are a couple tricky areas where I was glad to have sliders and both lockers.. the rest of it is a snoozer though just a forest road. In snow, there would be some nice opportunities for sliding right off the trail.

www.gamiviti.com