Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 03-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Lifted

Default Beef Basin access off UT Hwy 95

Talked to the USFS and BLM, both are discouraging travel due to mud and/or snow. The people we have talked to don't have any detailed information, just something like my LEO said don't take any roads on Elk mountain. I suspect some of it is to keep the Rav4s out. Anybody know another source for road conditions? Looking to be in that area Tuesday 25th.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

My take is that as long as you're traveling in a group it'll be fine. I have no doubt that there's snow and mud up there, but I think "discourage" and "impassable" are very different terms, especially for an experienced group of drivers. I think it's part of the fun with a trip like yours. If it's terrible up there, turn around and come up with a plan B.

Will you be heading south out of Beef Basin toward the highway?

The forecast for the next week looks like temps in the 70's (Hanksville) and 60's (Monticello) with sunshine, and that may create some additional snowmelt but overall I think it'll keep the exposed surfaces warm and dry.

You could try posting to Expedition Utah and see if any of those guys have been in the area lately?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Lifted

We will be heading north from the Hwy into the basin. I'll look into the Utah site if I have time, thanks for the response.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

if it's wet and slick you will know soon enough into it. the mud cakes up on your tires and it's slick as snot
TLCA#4180
Old 03-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

You can get through via Bobby's Hole. I just called last week and they said the road in was closed. The park will allow you to transit, with pets, as long as you don't let them out of the car during the transit. You have to declare your intention to transit at the visitor center. Much more fun way to get into Beef basin anyway.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-21-2015, 06:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Last year, Perry and I went in there via the Elk mtn route with muddy, snowy roads. It gets super sloppy and slippery. We turned around on the Dark Canyon Plateau road when I almost slid off the side. My AT's just couldn't get traction in the mud or clear it from the treads. Perry had no troubles with his Swampers. I also did not have a winch, which was almost needed. We ended up going into Beef Basin instead which was a little bit drier, but still muddy. I spent $20 at the car wash when we got to Moab!

Also, if it's muddy today, if could very well be dry in 4-5 days if there's no more precip.

If it was me, and I knew it would be muddy and snowy, I would want good mud tires, winch, maybe some chains, and definitely wouldn't go solo.

Have fun out there!

'85 FJ60