Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 01-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Default Chasing the Cumbres and Toltec, Spring 2015.

So this idea was mentioned a few times during our trip along the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad during last years Outlaws Run. Thought it would be fun to get something together for the spring wheelin' season.

Theres a tun of dirt roads along the route for the Cumbres and Toltec. I think the initial thought was to chase a section of the train the first day, ride the train the second and finish with the last section of track. I think it would also be fun to spend a evening checking out the sights and sounds of Chama.

I've gotten some good response to some of the train images I was able to get last year and want to keep that going..

The country around Chama and Antonito are well worth the trek down.

Cumbres and Toltec

Anyway, just thought i' get the conversation going

Name:  162.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  168.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  185.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  193.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  198.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  202.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  68.5 KB

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Interested
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I might be interested, depending on the weekend. We should just take a single vehicle so one person can shoot out the window.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm trying to talk my dad into coming out for this...he is a huge steam train guy. His entire basement is filled with HO scale layout. This is the only train in the west he hasn't ridden yet. But he is closer to 80 than 70 years old...how rough are the trails?

I hunted one year just on the Colorado side of Chama. We checked out the train one day and the area was beautiful. Thanks, Perry.
"I drive an ECO-FRIENDLY FZJ80...It's got a salvage title which makes it a RECYCLED vehicle. Therefore, don't mess with me when I park in the "Reserved for Green Vehicle" spots in Boulder!!!
http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Been on both sides of the trip. Both interesting. Would love to do it again.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Good to see that there's some interest in this.

Hopefully we can convince those that have been in the area before to come along. Just a bunch of dirt roads down along the tracks of the train.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 01-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
I'm trying to talk my dad into coming out for this...he is a huge steam train guy. His entire basement is filled with HO scale layout. This is the only train in the west he hasn't ridden yet. But he is closer to 80 than 70 years old...how rough are the trails?

I hunted one year just on the Colorado side of Chama. We checked out the train one day and the area was beautiful. Thanks, Perry.
Your Dad will be fine. They drive rear wheel drive vans into Osier every day. There are ways to access it on simple forest service roads. Then there are even more places you can get to if you can follow a simple two-track. But no crawling required. When I drove the 40 all along it, I don't think I even put the hubs in.

And the C&TS is, in my opinion, THE best steam railroad around. You can literally wander around the yards and check stuff out to your hearts content. No "tour" required, no timeline, just a bunch of historic, and operating trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
Good to see that there's some interest in this.

Hopefully we can convince those that have been in the area before to come along. Just a bunch of dirt roads down along the tracks of the train.
I'm definitely interested/definitely intend to go. Once we set a date, I'll see if any High Desert Cruisers want to come up. Chama or Antonito are only 3 hours from Albuquerque. In fact, I'm tempted to come up from Albuquerque in the Blue-Jay 40 (because it probably needs to stretch its legs this spring).

Dan
Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Wincher

Might be interested but it depends on what weekend.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
And the C&TS is, in my opinion, THE best steam railroad around. You can literally wander around the yards and check stuff out to your hearts content. No "tour" required, no timeline, just a bunch of historic, and operating trains.

Dan
Agreed. I even got the privilege of being employed there for two summers as fireman. Met some of the coolest people all the time. Still have friends living there who are some of the coolest people. Any chance I can, I promote it.

Me after firing to Antonito from Chama.
Name:  #487antonito.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  79.2 KB

Double header out of Chama
Name:  0038.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  102.1 KB

Scenic Views.
Name:  DSC_0102.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  157.1 KB
Old 01-26-2015, 12:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Agreed. I even got the privilege of being employed there for two summers as fireman. Met some of the coolest people all the time. Still have friends living there who are some of the coolest people. Any chance I can, I promote it.

Me after firing to Antonito from Chama.
Attachment 40356
That is absolutely awesome.

My dad knew Coker way back when. I always figured I should have tried to work there a while ago. What an experience that must have been!

Dan