Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default I want to upgrade Alternator - I have 2 thoughts, need opinions

I still have a stock output alternator on my 60. with all junk I now run (2 hams, CB, FM/CD, Fridge, lights, etc. It's time to upgrade. When I idle at night with the lights on...my dual batteries 'de-link' due to lower voltage.

Option 1:
Vanatta's in boulder is ready and able to build me an alternator - he sourced a case and can wind/build one to higher specs. it would be essentially a Toyota style alternator using the same bracket. I would then keep the one I have now as a backup.

Option 2:
look into a GM style alternator to give me the flexibility to go to any Napa, AutoZone, or similar for a replacement in the event it goes south on me. On the Outlaws run this year, we had a rig lose the Alt and had to drive hours to get a replacement...the local Napa might have had an AC Delco or something(?)

What do you guys think? (I don't necessarily want to go Mean Green if I can do it cheaper).

thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Commander

What else would you need to modify to run a GM style? New bracket? Different belt? Metric to English voltage converter? Just curious what was preventing you on the Outlaw's run from just going to Napa.

I kinda like option1 though, reminded me of reading Kraig's "frankenator" story in the bios.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

How about this deal? Still available.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ghlight=welder

Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
What else would you need to modify to run a GM style? New bracket? Different belt? Metric to English voltage converter? Just curious what was preventing you on the Outlaw's run from just going to Napa.

I kinda like option1 though, reminded me of reading Kraig's "frankenator" story in the bios.
we needed an 80 series alternator and the only one around was in Price. (mine didn't crap out). That's what got me thinking about something more common.

I'm still researching what it'll take...I assume bracket is avail from a handful of folks (Georg, marks)? the right pulley and wiring it correctly (should be a no brainer) the thing that's killing me is the metric to english converter ;-)

Hey Chris...I don't know how to weld (yet), but that alternator's got me really thinking!! any idea what it would take to install on the 2F? my 60 ain't too different that your old 40. *wait...did you V8 that??
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
we needed an 80 series alternator and the only one around was in Price. (mine didn't crap out). That's what got me thinking about something more common.

I'm still researching what it'll take...I assume bracket is avail from a handful of folks (Georg, marks)? the right pulley and wiring it correctly (should be a no brainer) the thing that's killing me is the metric to english converter ;-)

Hey Chris...I don't know how to weld (yet), but that alternator's got me really thinking!! any idea what it would take to install on the 2F? my 60 ain't too different that your old 40. *wait...did you V8 that??
Hey Shawn, the thread has a wiring diagram. It should go in pretty simply. I haven't had a 40 in over a year now. I'd love to sell it to you. That's a great price for everything.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Slight hijack here, but for the record it's possible to get donations of second batteries from other trucks on the run, then wire them all up inside the vehicle in parallel. just run jumpers out the hood and in the window to the front seat, then multiple batteries as needed from that one. Just one additional group 31 was all it took to get Marco home from Moab this year, and we were yakkin' on the radio the whole way too. Another reason to carry jumper cables. [/hijack]

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default tru-dat...tru-dat...

great point. being the belt and suspenders kinda guy, I'm always looking for angles.

now I think I have to buy that alt/welder setup and learn to weld....on the trail.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I can't believe it made it. on a fuel injected vehicle also...

Three group 31's in parallel and it made it all the way from Slickrock, to Denver to drop Perry off, then back to Boulder.

So I'll get my flame suit on, but I think I'd suggest a GM alternator.... It *might* be easier to find one at a random NAPA than a toyota alternator. BUT.. I was in Summit County and needed a starter for my 60 (GM 5.3) a year or so ago and it had to be shipped from Denver. It was impossible to push start the thing in -20 temps. So then again it may not be easier to get a GM Vehicle replacement part... I dunno..

That'd be the only reason though..

I mean there isn't anything preventing you from replacing a hopped up stock Toyota alternator with another stock Toyota one from a NAPA right?

That probably didn't help at all..
82 FJ40
Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I personally would do a GM conversion. On the other hand Vanatta is awesome and have never let me down on anything they have built or rebuilt for me!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

What is the custom build cost?

Thanks for the marg!