Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Lifted

Default Taking a trip to Moab

Hello everyone. I will be taking a trip to Moab March 23-29. If anyone has suggestions on trails or where to go that would be great.
Also if anyone has a trailer for sale or I could use for the trip (will pay something for use) it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

What is your vehicle? How is it built? What do you want to do? Will you be alone, or with someone? Do you plan to camp out, or motel it? How long will you be there? What is your budget?

Then answers will determine any suggestions, Moab is a big place. Charles Wells' books are a good place to start, as are the Latitude 40 Moab East and Moab West maps.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Lifted

I have a 97 FJ80, I am pretty stock but my 2 buddies are lifted big both run 35's and are locked. One has a '85 4runner and the other a jeep. We want to do some good trails, even ones without my truck because the other 2 are not bad. We will be there the entire week starting the sunday after Easter Jeep Safari. And we will staying at some cabins 2 miles south of Moab. I just purchased that book and was looking through it and just seeing if anyone has suggestions. Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa View Post
I have a 97 FJ80, I am pretty stock but my 2 buddies are lifted big both run 35's and are locked. One has a '85 4runner and the other a jeep. We want to do some good trails, even ones without my truck because the other 2 are not bad. We will be there the entire week starting the sunday after Easter Jeep Safari. And we will staying at some cabins 2 miles south of Moab. I just purchased that book and was looking through it and just seeing if anyone has suggestions. Thanks
Nice start! The most important thing is decide how you ultimately want your truck set up! Do you have factory lockers? 35's will require a minimum 3"+ lift. 3" lift is also where the stock caster angle starts to get compromised and some type of caster correction is recommended. Basically, if you want to save money a mild lift and 33"+ tires is pretty easy. 35" tires start you on an expensive and slippery slope! Bigger than 35's and you better have some disposable income!

Sheet metal on these beasts is costly and most folks agree that the first wise mod is real sliders (not nerf bars!). The 80 is a great and extremely capable vehicle out of the showroom and to take it up 1 level can be done fairly cheap! Take it up more levels and the cost goes up exponentially!

Your on the right track by asking questions!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa View Post
...We want to do some good trails, even ones without my truck because the other 2 are not bad. ...
Well, 'good' is in the eye of the beholder. My wife thinks Kane Creek is good, because it is pretty, and the shelf road does not have much exposure. I like that too, because of all the sandy water play at the bottom. She likes Gemini Bridges, but I find that a bit of a snoozer. I like Buttscratcher on Gold Bar Rim, she doesn't.

I think Cliffhanger is good because it has some harder sections, but not too much exposure. Going out is sometimes harder than coming in, so be prepared. My wife prefers to walk it - she does not care for the parts I like. We both love Elephant Hill, but that is a commitment and the trail is not very hard. Just incredibly scenic. Long drive though.

We both really like Poison Spider Mesa. Just enough challenge, not much exposure (except on some optional routes).

Some feel Behind the Rocks is good. I don't. Glad I did it once, that first obstacle I shall never do again.

Some like Moab Rim, others find it a shorts filler. I don't seem to be intimidated by it, curiously. I like parts of Hells Revenge, but the one tippy obstacle on the way out is no fun for me. Some like Hells Gate, but I ain't a gonna do it ever.

See what I mean?

Name some trails around here that you like, and your experience level, and we could maybe make some good suggestions.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Bill has pointed you in the right direction, it all depends on what you consider "good"

One trail that I know a stock Cruiser can do is Fins N Things, friend ran it with us last May. Fun stuff, scenic and enough of a challenge that your buddies won't be bored. Good luck and have fun, I'll be there a few weeks after having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me

Last edited by RockRunner; 02-12-2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 AM

The 23rd is going to still be pretty packed as that is Easter and the Easter Jeep Safari folks will be there. If it was me, I'd stay out of town that day and go see scenic things rather than try to get on the trail. Go do Arches or Canyonlands.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Lifted

That sunday we aren't really going to be doing a whole lot because that is the day we are arriving and will just be getting to the cabin and having dinner. the next day (Monday) will either be the first day we hit the trails or go to Arches National Park. We were lucky to get a cabin too because a couple places we called were still full but we were able to find one that we could stay at.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Rock Stacker

Hey I'm gonna be there that week, where you stayin?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Lifted

I think you should know!!!