Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 02-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Snow Run this Sunday 2/17

Hey all, just wondering if anybody would be up for a Snow Run scouting trip this Sunday. Really just a gauging trip. The way I see it right now is to head up Guanella Pass from the Georgetown side and see how high we can get - if we hit the top, great. I'm not sure about heading down the south side, seeing that we would likely not reach Grant and I'm not much for trying to work back uphill at that point.

If we accomplish that task or determine that it's not a good candidate, I say we head up Argentine and feel it out to see whether it's safe/how far we can go etc.

If that stops us then I say we head back down to Georgetown and head up toward the Lamartine area (Saxon Road?) and see if it's gated (there's a gate there, not sure if it's closed in winter), if not continue on as far as we can.

Next stop would probably be Bill Moore Lake area. Then Alice (Loch Lamond etc.), then Idaho Spgs. side of Lamartine, which I have been on before and it was fun. If we exhaust all those options then there's a road straight south of Idaho Spgs. that seems to go into the woods, I haven't been very far up it because that's one of the 4 or 5 places that I got close to rolling my truck, and we called it a trail after that event If we do ALL of that, then I say we call it a day and go get pizza.

Again this is all to gauge the possibility of alternate snow run locations depending on snow conditions, so if we get stopped we get stopped and we turn around. I have no plan for destinations, but to me it's about getting out there and seeing what my truck can do! I'm thinking of leaving pretty early to get as much time as possible to test out the options (like between 7 and 8 am), but am flexible because I'm really at the mercy of whoever wants to go with me, as I'd rather not go by myself.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Lifted

what kind of support are you looking for? I could come but im not lifted or winched out like most people. If you need a winch I can throw chains on my mums jeep and go with you that way.

MACINNES CLAN
Well we allready got one (holy grail)
I fart in your general direction
SEAN JONES KD0DHU

Fighting fire in the last frontier.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Rising Sun member

Well - I am on 31s, rear locker, I do have chains for all 4s if needed, and I do have a winch now too. I guess when I'm looking for potential snow run locations I'm looking for stuff that my truck can get through if someone else breaks trail, and possibly lead like I've done with my friends in the past. That is how the first S/P run that I went on was like (Jan '06). That is also how the run looked that the Horsetooth 4wheelers went on last Sunday. Last year's S/P run as well as this years has me baffled, because that kind of snow depth precludes a lot of people in the club from really even going, because even the big trucks are getting super stuck and don't make that much progress (2000 yds. vs. 5-8 miles). Now I realize that going higher in elevation is likely not to be the right answer, but you have to start somewhere and I would just like to satisfy my curiosity, because I'm not sure very many people have checked some of these trails out in the winter. So I wanted to start here, maybe in the next couple weeks check out some above Boulder, because they're also at lower elevations, and just go from there.

So - it would be nice to have a truck that's sitting on 35s to help blaze trail, but I realize that I would probably be hindering forward progress of that truck because I'm smaller right now. But if nobody is game then I'll make due with what I have, and at that point it's nice to have two trucks so we can pull each other out of whatever we get into, as long as one can follow the other.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

i might be up for a run in the piggie
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Definitely maybe!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sunday bad Saturday good............couldn't go anyway since I have to work OT and have hockey. Hope you guys have a great time and find some cool places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

i won't be able to make it... ya'll have fun
Old 02-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Me and the "Whale" shy away from snow runs now - especially with a winch that ain't working

Be safe and let us know how it goes and take a club roster list with phone #'s in case you need help
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-13-2008, 02:08 AM
Trail Ready

Let me know If you look anywhere on the north side of denver goergetown is A little to far for me
2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Cummins
18 foot P&J flat bed
Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post

Be safe and let us know how it goes and take a club roster list with phone #'s in case you need help
Ditto! What freq will you be on....we'll listen!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior