Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

If it is sold at the dealers, you will be able to get the discount. Engine PM work would be half of that if you hired Robbie.

That feel a little better?
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 07-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Man, I want this, but $4k is a lot of coin.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

I really want some forced induction but that is lots of $$$ considering its parts only.

Rick (Landtank) was estimating $2000-$2500 in parts for his turbo kit which is getting closer to reality.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 07-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I really want some forced induction but that is lots of $$$ considering its parts only.

Rick (Landtank) was estimating $2000-$2500 in parts for his turbo kit which is getting closer to reality.
I have to agree, $4k is a lot of coin for the basic setup. Add to that fine tuning, other enhancements and cooling upgrades than might be needed and you are talking more money than you can sell most 80's for right now! A supercharger is the ideal linear power enhancement for a dual purpose rig vrs a turbo which will yield bigger power gains with cooler operating temps but less linear and predictable power curve. I do suspect a turbo could see better overall fuel economy providing the operator has right foot control. So bottom line of my post is I think CDans predictions are right on. The desire for SC's is there but actual commitment and willingness to fork over $5k (SC, belts, plugs wires, misc and taxes) is probably more talk than action. More practical upgrades would be an engine swap or home made turbo setups!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
turbo which will yield bigger power gains with cooler operating temps ........ I do suspect a turbo could see better overall fuel economy providing the operator has right foot control.
All strong arguments for the turbo in my book.

Rick said something like $600 for the manifold if you wanted to homebrew a system. Which would be the biggest factor, or in this case the smallest $$
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

That is indeed a lot of coin
Keep in mind it also makes the OBO a no go....

MY SC will have to be rebuilt soon when Robbie does the Head Gasket, but CDAN was saying he thought it was more in the $800-$1200 range to have rebuilt. After seeing this post i am a bit more worried i may have underestimated what it will take...
Old 07-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

The $4k is not bad, it is the fact that the 80's are cheap now that skews the equation. But you save on the truck, spend on the performance.

As for turbo, I would take that every time over SC. For people considering the turbo manifold I would suggest that you talk to Landtank about what happens if that manifold cracks. I know he is not a business selling them, but you would then need a replacement. Even Safari that has a lot of experience with turbo's had cracking issues.

He is doing a great job designing that, and he did say that the company makes them for the BMW crowd, so one must hope that it will be the right metal composition to prevent cracking, but the problem still might come up. Not sure if he is going to stock replacement units.

Also, to put a kit together for $2500 is going to take some doing. The devil is in the details. $2500 might cover the big ticket items, but the plumbing and all the small items add up pretty quick.

Just as a FYI>
Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yes the $2500 was for the basics. I'm sure it did not include a higher volume fuel delivery system or new exhaust after the turbo. There will be be more to it.
2004 Starcraft 10RT