Watch these Videos

1st one just for fun ~15 min long (note the nice clean 60):

Video 1

Video 2 ~12min

Work safe
Old 02-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

So, I succeeded.
I got my son somewhat interested because it was a demo of satellite acquisition. We watched for 15 minutes, they failed, but I succeeded in convincing my son his father is a hopeless geek who is not cool.

He didn't stick around for the much better second one...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

So what's up with "Charlie Nancy 88"? November optional?

Nothing replaces just hearing guys talk, that's for sure.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
So what's up with "Charlie Nancy 88"?

Grid Squares (http://www.qrz.com/gridfinder) it's brevity for giving your QTH using the Maidenhead system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
November optional?
sorta, Nancy is the old phonetic "N"
Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
sorta, Nancy is the old phonetic "N"
Names are sometimes still used by public service, often police. Adam, Baker, Charlie, David, Edward, Frank, etc. I prefer the NATO/ITU mostly because I work around DoD and aerospace and that's what all the ex-military guys use. Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, etc.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Names are sometimes still used by public service, often police. Adam, Baker, Charlie, David, Edward, Frank, etc. I prefer the NATO/ITU mostly because I work around DoD and aerospace and that's what all the ex-military guys use. Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, etc.
I heard a guy the other day that used places.....Alabama, Boston, Colorado, Delaware, etc. Thought that was pretty creative!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Interesting... so it is not all that tight?
Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta... is easier for me to remember.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Those are some pretty nerds

Amazing to watch that all get setup and actually work. I expected better coverage/quality whatever but still interesting...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Interesting... so it is not all that tight?
Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta... is easier for me to remember.
Most people recommend sticking with a known one for a couple of reasons, but there is no requirement to do so. Whatever makes your message clear through static. But if you make up your own you run the risk of negating the whole reason for using phonetics, clarity. NATO picked the words they did because the pronunciation is clear with any native European accent (so it's pretty understandable worldwide) and no two words can be confused, they all sound different. Other phonetic languages, like the names of people achieve the same, the first letter is pretty clearly the letter it represents. Uncle Ben's State names works, but probably wouldn't be nearly as good outside the USA and probably Canada, since the names of US states is less recognizable. It's like someone from Germany using Augsburg, Bayern, Chemnitz, Dusseldorf, Emden, Frankfurt, etc. It might get the point across, but not optimal since their proper pronunciation would make them hard for us to understand. For example NATO has 'A' as 'Alfa' with an 'f' rather than 'ph' because 'ph' does not mean the 'eff' sound in all languages. Or 'Juliett' with two 't's is spelled that way for the French, so it's said right. A lot of tax money was spent coming up with it, you know, so might as well use it. ;-)

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 02-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Most people recommend sticking with a known one for a couple of reasons, but there is no requirement to do so. Whatever makes your message clear through static. But if you make up your own you run the risk of negating the whole reason for using phonetics, clarity. NATO picked the words they did because the pronunciation is clear with any native European accent (so it's pretty understandable worldwide) and no two words can be confused, they all sound different. Other phonetic languages, like the names of people achieve the same, the first letter is pretty clearly the letter it represents. Uncle Ben's State names works, but probably wouldn't be nearly as good outside the USA and probably Canada, since the names of US states is less recognizable. It's like someone from Germany using Augsburg, Bayern, Chemnitz, Dusseldorf, Emden, Frankfurt, etc. It might get the point across, but not optimal since their proper pronunciation would make them hard for us to understand. For example NATO has 'A' as 'Alfa' with an 'f' rather than 'ph' because 'ph' does not mean the 'eff' sound in all languages. Or 'Juliett' with two 't's is spelled that way for the French, so it's said right. A lot of tax money was spent coming up with it, you know, so might as well use it. ;-)
Make sense........wait.....what?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior